• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Designers Reflect on History of Eevee's Design

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
This was a fun read.

Funny enough, I knew that gen 5 had someone else involved on chara designs, but it wasn't until late last year or early this year that I found out others were involved in Pokemon and character designs since the beginning.

Atsuko Nishida is so rarely mentioned in some spheres of fandom, it's sad. But it's cool to be reading this about them all and their perspectives~.
HK16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Never cared for Eievui, but always nice to know the history of PM from the beginning.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
The history of Eevee and its Eeveelution was really good, incluing my big favorite Eeveelution of all time, Sylveon!!! The Eevee are always connected to me, and they feel like they look more than cuteness and beautiful!!!

I love it so much, and the story of how the creation of Eevee was made. I hope Gen 8 introduce the Legendary Pokemon that created Eeveelution. Very Happy

(sorry for my poor English)
megazero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
Gen 1 Pokemons looked more realistic than the newer gen Pokemons.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Once, when I got lost in the forest as a child, I encountered an indefinable creature.” He drew upon his vague childhood memories to create Eevee.

I wonder what was that unidentified creature Motofumi Fujiwara saw. Was it a rare animal, a breed cat or dog, perhaps a new species? We would never know, but boy it would have been neat if we did.

Aca Vuksa wrote:

I hope Gen 8 introduce the Legendary Pokemon that created Eeveelution. Very Happy

(sorry for my poor English)

Your English seem fine, so no need to apologize. Also, we already have Arceus who is the God of Pokémon (and creation in general). It's creation eventually led to the eevees and their evolution.

megazero wrote:
Gen 1 Pokemons looked more realistic than the newer gen Pokemons.

How so? With the exception of how they were colored, and their designs being base around the ecosystems they live in they basically look around the same design wise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I ask again: WHAT is with the Japanese marketers' new push to put Evee front and center as the new central "iconic" character of the franchise?

Did some headline happen that I missed?:
Are they retiring Pikachu? Was there some dispute with the original creator? Are they trying to pretend the character never existed, like Marvel was for a while with the X-Men?
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I ask again: WHAT is with the Japanese marketers' new push to put Evee front and center as the new central "iconic" character of the franchise?

Are they retiring Pikachu? Was there some dispute with the original creator? Are they trying to pretend the character never existed, like Marvel was for a while with the X-Men?

Eevee was always kinda pushed in the front since Pokémon yellow. It never worked that well, but everytime they had to use an opposition to Pikachu, it was ALWAYS Eevee.

That's why Eevee was chosen for the Switch pokemon Golike remake of Yellow, and that's why the Eevee push is particulary big lately. Because they have to sell "Let's go Eevee" games. They don't have to promote the "Let's go Pikachu" that much.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Did someone already answer this question of yours a while back when you posted it? I recall it was already answered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1