• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do a lot of Gundam fans hate SEED Destiny?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
no I mean spoiler[the interior where Durandul sat, not the station itself...]
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
no I mean spoiler[the interior where Durandul sat, not the station itself...]

I know thats what you meant. spoiler[I simply meant that anything in Gundam where a giant station has a giant laser reminds me of the Deathstar.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
I finally finished Destiny and FULLY understand the problem: really bad financial planning

It's incredibly obvious that they didn't have enough money to animate the last several episodes

I think GSD's problems ran far, far deeper than poor financial planning. I don't remember much about how well animated any particular episodes were though I know they used a lot of stock footage throughout the series. Lack of budget could be another reason for so many recap episodes. Apparently Fukuda thought that having major voice talent for minor characters was more important than being able to actually animate the series.

Quote:
also did anyone spoiler[think "Deathstar" when they saw the inside of the of Messiah]

There was a parody sub of one of the episodes when that first came up. It was the late 30s, I think. I thought it was hilarious and it actually mentioned that in it.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Destiny could have been really good if they had enough money to properly animate those last episodes and rather than clip shows had new eps to draw out the ending rather than crunching it into two episodes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
Destiny could have been really good if they had enough money to properly animate those last episodes and rather than clip shows had new eps to draw out the ending rather than crunching it into two episodes.

I am going to have to side with HitokiriShadow on this one. The problems started well before the final act.

Another Gundamjack. Didn't anyone from ZAFT (or the production staff, for that matter) watch Zeta or SEED? (Chaos, Gaia, Abyss).

MORE Gundamjacks. Talk about relying on a overused and deeply flawed plot device (Strike Freedom, Infinite Justice, Gaia once again, DOM Trooper x3).

Repeated use of characters coming back to life or surviving otherwise impossible situations (Mwu, Sting, Athrun, Kira).

Returning characters conveniently forgetting all that they learnt in SEED (Kira, Athrun, Cagalli, Lacus).

A main lead who rarely got any development. When the production staff realised this late in the first half, they chose to simply replace him as lead with a fan favourite, instead of giving him the necessary screentime (Shinn).

This flowed on, and dictated that his future development was that of the Antagonist, even though he piloted the title suit (Shinn again).

One sided fights. "Jesus Yamato" is used often, and it is accurate. When a character piloting a two-year old machine is shown to dominate so strongly against ace pilots in newer machines, then the show suffers (Kira).

Same character also never makes any mistakes off the battlefield, either. Forget his genes, he is still human. Not in Destiny, though (Kira again).

Let us not forget about a certain character defeating the title suit without using SEED mode, even though the pilot of the Destiny was in SEED mode at the time (Athrun).

Superweapons that come out of no-where (Requiem, Messiah).

A superweapon that is built by supposedly peace-loving folk (Messiah).

A stereotypical character who would belong in a show for primary school children (Yuna).

A character who is so stereotypically evil that he becomes a parody, or would have been if that was the intention of the production staff (Djibril).

Scripts being handed in late. Never a good idea (Chiaki Morosawa).

Reused animation, and animation mistakes. Oh, a big one. Chaos pretending it was the Freedom, and the Strike attempting to pass itself off as the Impulse. The same footage of the Gaia getting knocked was used twice in episode two. The same footage of Neo exiting the bridge of the Girty Lue was used twice in the first four episodes. The way the Exus' Gunbarrels moved in episode three were taken straight off the battle between the Freedom and the Providence in SEED.

The meaning of SEED was never properly explained again, nor was it even mentioned.

Kira and Lacus were used as the eyecatch right from the get go, and they took pride of place in the ED.

I could list more, but better posters have already comprehensibly listed the many faults. As you can see, the faults were there from the beginning. Money was not an issue, or at least it was a background problem.

By the way, did you know that - on average - it cost US$350,000 to make each episode of Destiny. Wonder where the money ended up. Why recycle animation with that sort of budget?

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
I understand most of those things (some of which bugged me others didn't)

however the ending (while an interesting set of events) suffered because it was so crunched and filled with reused clips

what I am trying to say is the ending could have saved Destiny (to a degree) but it's poor execution was like shooting a dead horse in the head, twice...
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
however the ending (while an interesting set of events) suffered because it was so crunched and filled with reused clips

what I am trying to say is the ending could have saved Destiny (to a degree) but it's poor execution was like shooting a dead horse in the head, twice...

Money is always an issue towards the end of a series. Take Evangelion. Almost the entire budget spent by episode 20, and Gainax struggled for additional funding. They ended up getting a pittance. Most producers these days ration the money, saving up enough to splash out for the last three or four episodes.

But no matter how much money you have, when the staff member in charge of a key aspect like the script fails you, there is going to be complications. Hence, Chiaki Morosawa bears a big part of the blame, though by no means all. What I am saying is, that the reason there were recap episodes towards the end can be largely blamed on late scripts. That the scripts were appallingly bad is just incomprehensible.

If you are going to hand in a script late, you might as well get it right, don't you think?
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
yes, being late with the script is a big problem (and probably another reason that the last bit felt so rushed as well)
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:36 am Reply with quote
I will agree with those who thought it started falling apart spoiler[when the assassination attempt on Lacus occurs and the Seed crew take over the center stage.] I will say that the Orb plot with Cagalli that occurred before that was extremely annoying, but could have been overlooked if it were the only problem with the series. The final blow was when spoiler[Stella gets killed in the Psyco Gundam like (Destroy?) scenario. Those three rejects felt so anticlimactic and a complete waste of time.] The lamest part of Destiny for me though has to be spoiler[the unveiling of the Akatsuki in Orb's most critical moment made me wonder why Cagalli's father didn't activate it in Gundam Seed! It just seemed really stupid, especially since everyone else was getting new MS at around the same time]

Overall despite it's flaws I didn't think Destiny was as bad as many people here. Part of this might be due to the fact that I didn't like Gundam Seed (which felt too unoriginal since I'm a UC fan) as much as many people here.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
The lamest part of Destiny for me though has to be spoiler[the unveiling of the Akatsuki in Orb's most critical moment made me wonder why Cagalli's father didn't activate it in Gundam Seed! It just seemed really stupid, especially since everyone else was getting new MS at around the same time]

That spoiler[and the Akatsuki seemed to be more advanced than either the Freedom and the Justice Gundams].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Favic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't like watching the remake of Gundam Seed Destiny, and the 08th Team too. I only watch the old school gundam series; Sunrise has some bad forgeting or whatever it's stuff(Since they didn't did a english dub of ZZ Gundam).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Favic wrote:
I don't like watching the remake of Gundam Seed Destiny, and the 08th Team too. I only watch the old school gundam series; Sunrise has some bad forgeting or whatever it's stuff(Since they didn't did a english dub of ZZ Gundam).

Thats more attributed to the bad reputation ZZ has for its first half of the series. That lack of popularity is merely why it hasn't been licensed and distributed.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
I just watched the Gundam Destiny Final Plus DVD in the hopes that it would be better than the last DVD of Seed Destiny. Sadly enough I couldn't see any significant improvement over the last episode on volume 12. The worst part about it is that Bandai is charging $25 MSRP for what amounts to 45 minutes of anime. I was aware of the short running time and was hoping that Bandai would have loaded this extra DVD with extras like the Character Theater. Sadly enough the only extra on it is the Gundam slates which is I believe the backgrounds you see while the announcer says "kono bangumi wa grando sponsa..." This was even more of a waste of money than the 3 Gundam Seed compilations! I fail to see this as an "alternative" telling and see it more as an expanded telling since there were no major changes, unless I completely missed them.

The biggest addition is the epilogue spoiler[which more than anything sets up the Seed franchise for more sequels.] I wish that this would have been a bonus episode on DVD 12 which would have fit nicely had Bandai placed 5 episodes on DVD the first DVD.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Although the plots are completely messed up, I actually enjoyed the political aspects of Seed Destiny. It's pretty realistic how Durandal spread his "false peace" to the public and gained support, and people just believe in whatever he says, and he started a system that meant to create a Utopia, but in reality, it gives Durandal himself total power over its citizens, just like communism. I admit, other Gundam series also got a lot of realistic politics, but I just felt like falling asleep when I watch those scenes, but in Seed and Seed Destiny, it's truly not that bad.
And be honest, the Gundam design in Seed and Seed Destiny was really good. See how many versions of strike freedom Gunpla you have.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Locking dead thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9