• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Crunchiest Exposition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
If I may bring up a positive example of a teaser as a contrast - The first one for Disenchantment was about 30 seconds of animation, briefly listed the credentials of the creative team (The Simpsons and Futurama) and then showed a clip introducing the main (female) protagonist. It was nowhere near as self-congratulatory.

A lot of it is Kath Leth’s very negative reputation preceding her however.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about Leth, but I agree that the teaser is kind of lame. It doesn't get me excited. It's mostly just very shallow and lacking in meaningful information. Some actual animation would have been great.

But I also think the claim that the teaser is a divisively aggressive attack on non-(S)(J)(W) sensibilities is comically exaggerated.
Saito?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Zac! I laughed out loud at Mary Poppins and anus in the same sentence! Also first I'd heard about Mary Poppins, so very curious. Personally looking forward to Alita, huge fan of the comics and visually it looks great. I'm only iffy on how they will handle her love interest. Christopher Robin is on my must watch list.
Vadara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad that Jacob and Zac brought up the subset of western anime fandom that just like anime because they think it confirms their right-wing beliefs, because god are they the most annoying of the various niches in the fandom. Sometimes I'm convinced these people don't actually like anime.
rtil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:05 am Reply with quote
HGS will probably end up being an ok cartoon, but crunchyroll is a really bizarre platform for it. i always figured if they were going to get in to producing animation they'd go the netflix route of funding anime projects made in japan.

re: artist alleys - competition is still quite high for getting in to conventions who operate on a first come first serve basis (like AX), but CRX doesn't work that way. it's juried, so they hand-pick artists who get in, which is somewhat rare.

the oversaturation of artist alleys is a big problem, though. every convention wants to be/thinks they are AX, a convention with an attendance so massive that it can easily sustain having the 600 (yes, six hundred) AA tables that they have. but no other con can do that, not even close. so the more tables a convention has, the more the money is spread around, and consequently every individual artist makes that much less on a weekend.

i think a lot of anime conventions could benefit from having smaller artist alleys. sure, it feels great knowing you got in to one, but if there's 300 other tables and "only" 20-30k people, you're not going to do very good business (although results may vary depending on table placement).

for some artists, AA is just a fun little hobby. but for many others, it is a living. and so it's discouraging to see this trend become worse.

most of the conventions don't care though, because they make a ton of money from selling hundreds of tables, and they know that even if sales are poor for the artists there will always be first-timers coming to get in to any convention they can - mostly because a lot of conventions simply pick artists out of a hat. so, your odds of getting in to some cons can be as low as 10% based on the number of applicants. you take what you can get - it's a bit of a vicious cycle.
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
Vadara wrote:
I'm so glad that Jacob and Zac brought up the subset of western anime fandom that just like anime because they think it confirms their right-wing beliefs, because god are they the most annoying of the various niches in the fandom. Sometimes I'm convinced these people don't actually like anime.

Really? I usually see left-leaning fans hate and criticize anime a lot because it's filled with "problematic" stuff. They pick apart every show with fanservice or yaoi or any kind of otaku pandering that I wonder why they bother with anime since that's all such a staple of the medium and what draws people to it in the first place, at least for me Very Happy
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Gator Gamer wrote:
Vadara wrote:

Really? I usually see left-leaning fans hate and criticize anime a lot because it's filled with "problematic" stuff. They pick apart every show with fanservice or yaoi or any kind of otaku pandering that I wonder why they bother with anime since that's all such a staple of the medium and what draws people to it in the first place, at least for me Very Happy

I don't know how Japanese anime (that is made by Japanese creators) could be the raison d'etre for right wing nuts. If anything it would be anathema to them.

Gator is right, the main conflict now in fandom (a toxic one it is) is the war over fan service and anime not meeting the western progressive litmus test.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I don't know how Japanese anime (that is made by Japanese creators) could be the raison d'etre for right wing nuts. If anything it would be anathema to them.

That's sort of conflating social conservatism with cultural conservatism. It's the same sort of deal with GG; Alt-Right figures who'd previously denigrated gaming as infantalizing and emasculating suddenly came to 'support' gamers against 'progressives tyranny'. I wouldn't go so far as to say theres a cohort that's into anime unironically BECAUSE they feel it 'makes liberals mad', but there certainly are many who incorporate that sentiment in an obnoxious way and bandwagon shows like DitF because they feel they can read their politics into it.

Quote:
Gator is right, the main conflict now in fandom (a toxic one it is) is the war over fan service and anime not meeting the western progressive litmus test.

I really dont rgink things are anywhere near that dire. This site for instance is generally good about recognizing the intent behind products made for fanservice and not necessarily holding that against it. I think a lot of what's going on is simply genuine criticism of certain incoherencies that arise in certain anime. I dont think most people are saying "you're an asshole/evil of you enjoy x"; certainly SOME are and in the context of the internet 'some' is always going to mean several thousand, but to say that the default mode in the liberal anime sphere is about shaming Otaku is to me very disingenuous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3