• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Angels of Death is Surprisingly Hilarious

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
As someone who’s played the game, I’m pleasantly surprised with the anime. Story aside, it looks and is animated better than most game-to-anime adaptations I’ve seen. Colors are bright, lines are sharp, and the characters look amazing. It’s just easy on the eyes.

And 100% agree that the Preist’s floor can feel like such a drag compared to the others. It was boring to play through, and still kind of boring to watch. But it makes way to my absolute favorite part of the game that I can’t wait to see animated ^0^ Fellow Zac fans are in for some fun.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I have to give this one credit for not being what I expected
futuresoon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
For the record, the liquid in Zack's bowl of cereal is soda, not blood. Less "aw bless this campy show" and more "not sure if this is funny or depressing".

I may have differing opinions on how the story is being adapted, but I will admit that I'm pleasantly surprised the animation has remained on-model so far. Some amount of actual effort is being put in, which is nice, and it generally does a good job of bypassing the puzzles without sacrificing character interaction. I just wish it stuck the landing more on key scenes and had a better soundtrack. Great voice acting, though, especially for Danny, Eddie, and Cathy.
Toonces

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Definitely agree that this has been a pleasant surprise to me. The camp is probably the best part, and has helped win me over.

However, I do agree that the show can drag a bit at times though. Cathy's floor was great, but as mentioned I was ready to leave it behind when the time came. Gray's floor has covered some necessary stuff, but has been the guiltiest of feeling sluggish at times. The Witch Trial has been a much needed shot in the arm. Normally I would feel confident that it would help pull us across the finish line, but with 6 more episodes, who knows.

The voice acting has been great, although Zack's been the obvious star of the show. The dub is also good, although I do prefer the Japanese voice acting.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
The soda in the bowl reminded me of Hawkeye from _M*A*S*H_ (which should tell you how old *I* am! :) ), and his beer-and-Rice-Krispies concoction -- "The Breakfast Of Ex-Champions!".

As to Humor In Horror: I go back to Steven Spielberg's Large Ill-Tempered Fish Movie, with lines like:

Hooper, interrupting an argument between Brody and Quint: "Oh, boys -- I *think* he's come back for his noon feeding...."

[during the autopsy on the tiger shark]
Hooper: "Just as I thought -- he came up through the Gulf Stream."
[Hooper tosses a Louisiana license plate onto the floor]
Brody: [disbelief] "He didn't eat a *car*, did he!?"

Quint: "I know me a taxidermy man back home -- he gonna have a heart attack when he seen what *I* brung him!"

Hooper: [to himself, after being mocked by locals] "Heh heh heh -- they're all gonna die...."

And a *really* subtle joke --

[Hooper is in the cage, just before the lid closes; he goes to defog his goggles]
Hooper: "I got no spit."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1