• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: My Hero Academia Fan Shows Heroic Spirit, Saves Woman During Knife Attack

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
That is truly a heroic feat. All Might would definitely be proud of him. I wish him a speedy recovery.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I fully expect FUNimation’s Twitter to get called out by John Oliver for trying to associate this guy’s actions with him being a fan (and the show to get raked over the coals). Let’s hope Trump and the hurricane keep him busy.

What the guy did was very brave, but the association will rub people the wrong way.
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Props to him but why is there always a souncloud link?
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting some Gunhead Martial Arts instead.

https://youtu.be/Zy1sPTPEO6A
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I fully expect FUNimation’s Twitter to get called out by John Oliver for trying to associate this guy’s actions with him being a fan (and the show to get raked over the coals).

I... that... what? Why in the world would that happen?

Anyway, as long as we're making random political observations, I'd like to point out that it's pretty weird how even if you heroically stop a violent lunatic, you have to pay for your own medical treatment, which is so expensive that crowdfunding is necessary. Recovery Girl would be ashamed.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
I fully expect FUNimation’s Twitter to get called out by John Oliver for trying to associate this guy’s actions with him being a fan (and the show to get raked over the coals).

I... that... what? Why in the world would that happen?

Oliver has done multiple segments calling out companies for using real-world incidents to promote their wares. FUNi seems to have done that with the association here. It can come off as insensitive.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Very awesome.
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Who of us could really, REALLY step up like that when the time comes? We all love to think that we'd be heroes, but I'd imagine it's a whole other thing when you're actually faced with a situation like that. I hope Horikoshi hears about this.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Stepping up and doing something about a dangerous situation is never going to be easy for any regular person. Choosing to involve yourself is the hardest part. Blaine made that choice and he is all the more courageous and admirable for it.
Skydrop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
this way BKA has been great that is being inspirational.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Stepping up and doing something about a dangerous situation is never going to be easy for any regular person. Choosing to involve yourself is the hardest part. Blaine made that choice and he is all the more courageous and admirable for it.

There is also the issue, that your own loved ones might not want you to be so heroic, especially with death as a possibility. Domestic assaults in public are very dangerous, because it usually means the assailant is planning on murdering their intended victim, and anyone who gets in their way.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
There is also the issue, that your own loved ones might not want you to be so heroic, especially with death as a possibility. Domestic assaults in public are very dangerous, because it usually means the assailant is planning on murdering their intended victim, and anyone who gets in their way.

Of course, you're not wrong about that. That's why I said it's never going to be easy to play the part of a hero. More often than not, a majority of us ordinary citizens would flee the scene because we don't want to get caught up in something that could potentially cost us our own lives in the process. That's nothing to be ashamed of, though, and it doesn't make anyone a coward for choosing the flight response.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Oliver has done multiple segments calling out companies for using real-world incidents to promote their wares. FUNi seems to have done that with the association here. It can come off as insensitive.

This is hardly the same thing as what he's nailing companies for, like DiGiorno hijacking the domestic-violence #whyistayed to comment "he had pizza," or Fleshlight solemnly honoring 9/11. Bandai and Funimation are already part of this conversation. Plus they're giving him swag, so they're not just saying "look at me!" In a case like this it would be really odd for them to stay silent.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
He’d better prepare to eat Deku’s hair.

But seriously, great job sir. We need more feats like yours in the world.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
This man is a true hero! His Music is pretty awesome too
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2