• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Steins;Gate 0

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antipathy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
It seems that the person they got to review this series is not taking into account the past show/movie that makes up the sum total of this series. Not only has this show given several insights into the way the movie plays out, but they are totally ignoring what it was in the first TV adaptation in ep 23 that causes them all to reach Steins;Gate. Here is a hint it was not being able to prevent someone/s from dying. This is why I really don't like pro critics, they never pay attention to what came before.

I can totally understand that if it is a manga, or LN adaptation, but with a show that already has 25 eps, and a movie epilogue I can not understand how they can be so out of touch with normal, everyday fans and completely miss the point of the last few eps.

Edits; Sorry but typing with only 1 hand kinda sucks so needed to edit spelling mistakes.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:47 am Reply with quote
If this was Haruhi Suzumiya, they'd have probably aired a dozen episodes on this time leaping and infuriated everyone. Course at least in this it would have changed a little each time leap. Not just the same episode but with different clothes every single time for 8 episodes.
bhl88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:40 am Reply with quote
Or Okabe can just use the time machine himself.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 am Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
Or Okabe can just use the time machine himself.

Or Okabe could be uploaded to Amadeus and have himself be present just like in episode 23.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:29 am Reply with quote
Antipathy wrote:
It seems that the person they got to review this series is not taking into account the past show/movie that makes up the sum total of this series. Not only has this show given several insights into the way the movie plays out, but they are totally ignoring what it was in the first TV adaptation in ep 23 that causes them all to reach Steins;Gate. Here is a hint it was not being able to prevent someone/s from dying.

To be fair that actually depends. spoiler[It's not enough to save Mayuri, but Kurisu's kind of left up in the air given you really only see the one attempt (which seems to be how it originally happened anyway) and changing the timeline does work with Faris's dad.]
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, while I've overall been pretty disappointed with the anime adaptation, Steins;Gate 0 probably did accomplish its main goal in the sense that I'm now interested in finding out of the visual novel is any better...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Okabe could be uploaded to Amadeus and have himself be present just like in episode 23.

That would be a great plot twist wouldn't it? Okabe dies in order to swap himself in for Makise. That would have been a sacrifice that would have much more meaning.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I have to say, while I've overall been pretty disappointed with the anime adaptation, Steins;Gate 0 probably did accomplish its main goal in the sense that I'm now interested in finding out of the visual novel is any better...

This anime ruined the whole VN, and how is structured and executed overall.
I posted a comment regarding that earlier in this very discussion.

I recommend reading both VNs, even because the first VN was quite butchered as well in the other anime adaptation (even if it could stay strong on its own, in a way).
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
TexZero wrote:
Okabe could be uploaded to Amadeus and have himself be present just like in episode 23.

That would be a great plot twist wouldn't it? Okabe dies in order to swap himself in for Makise. That would have been a sacrifice that would have much more meaning.

The laws of causality from the Attractor Field can't let Okabe die until his certain death much later in the future (2025). Something would mandatorily go wrong somehow in order to evade that destiny.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

Yeah, the visual novel is a lot stronger. The anime kind of has just tried to smash in everything from the visual novel's different paths all together with no real cohesion to any of it and it just doesn't work.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
So... am I the only one who thinks that, while this series is a bit of a disappointment, the person doing the episode by episode review is a bit harsh? I mean, I think it's still decent, but this person seems to think it's an awful experience, sans a few episodes (which, admittedly, are the best episodes).
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
So... am I the only one who thinks that, while this series is a bit of a disappointment, the person doing the episode by episode review is a bit harsh? I mean, I think it's still decent, but this person seems to think it's an awful experience, sans a few episodes (which, admittedly, are the best episodes).

Outside of the one episode I've given a "D" grade (which means I genuinely do consider it to be outright bad", most every episode of S;G0 has gotten either a C or a B from me; there's even been an A or two. I'd never say Steins;Gate 0 has been downright awful - just thoroughly underwhelming, and definitely nowhere near as enjoyable as its predecessor. There are quite a few individual facets of the show's script and direction that I might describe as being pretty lame, but it's not the worst show I've seen all year by a long-shot.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
If it helps, I agree that it's far inferior to the original (likely a result of having to stretch the story to 23 episodes), and that the fanservice is irritating here. I don't have a particular soft spot for the LGBT community, but I'm grossed out by how the characters have been molesting Rukako in this series. It's really weird and out of place.

I dunno. Maybe I'm being too lenient, but I think the worst episodes are only a C- at worst. Possibly because I've been tolerating One Piece's modern era of anime and I'm numb to pacing issues a lot of the time.
GinPool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
Jeez harsh much Reviewer? So much negivativty
Azumi14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
I thought Steins Gate zero was good. I like how the finial episodes work well with the original series. I read the VN on the PS4. The VN had a lot of bad ending that were not included in the anime. That is the only thing I was not happy about. I disagree with almost all of rating that the anime network gave. I laugh and cried on a few of the episodes. Steins Gate Zero anime was not perfect but was not even close to as bad and the review made it out to be. I also watch with sub and Japanese voices. To replace Mayuri with anyone else then Kana Hanazawa or any of the other character in the anime then I can see why the review made be bad. Japanese cast and story were excellent. That my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9