• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Planet With Can't Stop Topping Itself

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matsushima

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I think this point need to be reiterated

READ SPIRIT CIRCLE
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I did, in fact, go and READ SP... ahem, read Spirit Circle after the previous article, since Crunchyroll Manga has it, though possibly only for the US. The general structure of it is similar, and Soya and Ginko are clearly the successors to Fuuta and Rune. I actually liked it more than Planet With, partly because mecha fights don't do anything for me, but mostly because it had a clearer structure and endgame; no matter what crazy epic subplotting went on, there was never a sense of "...wait, that wasn't the finale?"

Of course, Planet With still isn't over, so we'll have to see what else it pulls out of its bottomless hat. At the very least--Spirit Circle spoiler!--spoiler[Planet With's precursor indicates good odds for Soya X Tamikahagaraga... Taka... uh... Nozomi.]

I guess I also need to track down Lucifer And Biscuit Hammer at some point.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
^Biscuit Hammer is also available on Crunchyroll! In fact that's the only way to read it atm since the physical release has been out of print for a couple years now
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
This show should have been a simuldub. Funimation wasted their lineup on isekai instead of this and I hope they get it after it airs because it was a SEVERE missed opportunity.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The whole show is operating on incredible amounts of storytelling economy, from plot to characters to themes. And it's all done simply and directly, which works a heck of a lot better than it should. But I guess that's the Mizukami magic.

I wish I could agree with you because I like Mizukami and I appreciate the themes of Planet With, but I think the pacing really hurt it. Biscuit Hammer had lots of time over 10 volumes to build up its characters and their relationships, while Planet With took short cuts and left me cold. I'm in it till the end., but it feels like an abridged version of Mizukami to me. The good news is I have Spirit Circle on hold at my library and the volumes should come in after Planet With is done.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:44 am Reply with quote
While i would love for this show to have more than just 12 episodes, for me it was enough to make me care for these quirky but loveable characters and their stories. Plus, it really made me want to check out Mizukami's other work, no idea how he's managed to slip under my radar so far.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
This show should have been a simuldub. Funimation wasted their lineup on isekai instead of this and I hope they get it after it airs because it was a SEVERE missed opportunity.

This. I hope it gets a dub.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I think he's slipped under most people's radar (except the wonderful people at Seven Seas!) because his work has never been adapted into anime before. In fact, while it's a really great sign that he's basically been given full creative control of his first original animated work, I still hope his earlier manga gets adapted to bring more attention to them.
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Rasheverek and Karellan are references to an old Arthur C Clark Sci Fi novel called childhoods end.

Will not spoil that novel, but the names work.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
^Shooooooooot, I did not catch that reference, but I get it now. That is great.

Planet With has been an absolute blast, and it's easily my favorite show this season. I think it'll be hard to top this year.[/b]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

This.

Say it got a dubbed version in the fall. To anyone that responds, who do you see playing Sōya, Nozomi, and Ginko?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1