• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: PERSONA 5 the Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
^Going by the user ratings, I’d say the people watching this show would tend to disagree that it is bad, but you’re free to have your own opinion. Do you have any more specific criticisms, so we can get a better idea of where you’re coming from?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For anyone experiencing the material for the first time, it may seem somewhat baffling.

It was great! The visuals this episode were bad enough that I was actually bothered in quite a few points, but that scene in particular had pretty clever directing and good visuals, plus it's just cool for characters to tag like that, so it saved the episode for me.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I must echo my delight over ep 13. It's a perfect example about what I've been harping about here with how the show can be improved. By cleverly writing original content within the game's basic story, themes, characterizations, events and social links.

That said the ep still has issues, action scenes are virtually non existant for example and the pacing was rushed, obviously due to the fact that they have to super condense everything. But it is a major improvement to the benefit of making the characters more interesting and having refreshing new content for fans who've played the game!
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Loved episode 14 too for the same reasons as the prior. Indeed it does feel a bit like a recap episode, but it's probably one of the best recap episodes ever made by sensibly putting the references in and within the context of new stuff.

Good to see more original scenes and stuff rewritten to not be paint-by-numbers and just regurgitate the game on TV. Why couldn't the show have started out like this to begin with?

Nevertheless, I'm pleasantly happy. It's still not ideally perfect, but the staff are getting the idea and I hope this keeps up all the way through.

The Persona/Shadow battles are still an afterthought though... I guess this is who it's going to be until we get to the next boss and they steamroll over him/her again. Which is the weakest link here. There should at least be some element of risk/danger to make them more exciting, but anyway, it is what it is...
S0crates

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
Well, finished the game but not the true ending. I'll probably jump in on the last episodes because of that. ^^
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I must also echo the sentiment about how awesome Episode 15 was. It's still not ideal, as the pacing is rushed due to the obvious fact that they must cover a lot... but Episode 15 is the best one yet! A MAJOR improvement! The direction, framing, foreshadowing, humour beats were all fantastic! This second season is off to a great start! Please keep this up! If they can't spend the budget on action, then give us more of the character interactions.
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote
Unlike the Persona 4 anime, this one isn't very neutral it is clear which girl is favored in this Anime.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised to see such little discussion on P5A. Are its fans boycotting it?

-SP- wrote:
Unlike the Persona 4 anime, this one isn't very neutral it is clear which girl is favored in this Anime.

The spike in Makoto scenes was noticeable, and quickly.

Is she the general fan favourite?
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I'm a little surprised to see such little discussion on P5A. Are its fans boycotting it?

-SP- wrote:

The spike in Makoto scenes was noticeable, and quickly.

Is she the general fan favourite?

I don't think so, it seems like Kawikami is generally the fan favorite, the scene in the last episode seems to confirm this too. In my opinion I also believe she may have been the best girl.

The animation is getting worse and worse each episode and I can't get over that. Production I.G did a much better job on the Anime scenes in the game versus this trash by A-1, I.G's characters designs looked way better as well.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Nah, it's more like fans are largely indifferent.

It's not like there's new story to discuss. And so far the last few episodes after some earlier improvements have gotten worse. Particularly animation wise.

The latest episode closing out Haru's boss was pretty bad, rushed as heck and largely an afterthought. There were some cool action moments, but it was just bad... like they were ready to just move on.

Some of the new music was nice though.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I think BD count and some math pretty much confirmed P5 is going to be 28 or 29 episodes. Somebody with the correct info could corroborate but it's what I heard. They'll probably not all air, so I'm guessing either web-only (like Bakemonogatari) or BD only (please no).
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, that would make sense. There's still a ton of story left to go through, way too much to fit into 2-3 episodes.
LuScr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. I could see the TV broadcast ending with spoiler[Shido's change of heart], leaving spoiler[the public continuing to believe in Shido even after his confession, exploring the depths of Mementos, and everything related to Igor, Caroline/Justine, and Lavenza] for the bonus eps.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
Agreed. I could see the TV broadcast ending with spoiler[Shido's change of heart], leaving spoiler[the public continuing to believe in Shido even after his confession, exploring the depths of Mementos, and everything related to Igor, Caroline/Justine, and Lavenza] for the bonus eps.

With the current pacing I feel as if they will spoiler[ end with Goro's reveal and "murder' of Ren ] then run the rest through OVAs.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24

In the game if I remember correctly the games were rigged and so you had to hack them to advance. In the game this stuff with Futaba's douche uncle was part of Sojiro's storyline that had no relation to the palace progression. Here in the anime they tied the palace progression and Sojiro's guardian problems together. This is one of the very few cases where I can praise the adaption for clever adapting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3