• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Catching Up With Sword Art Online

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the side that actually really likes this series. Man I wished that Aniplex(and most other anime dubbers) follow Funi's way and started simul-dubing anime, oh well. I sure this season will be on Toonami in the future.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Mother's Rosario was the narrative high point? Au contraire, that honor falls to a very special web chapter. "Two years' worth..."

(Or was it the horribly gratuitous attempted rape scenes? It's hard to keep track.)
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
This article was great write up. Thank you for the good work!

I've always had mixed feelings with SAO (I've always been more of an Accel World fan) and I think these mixed feelings will only heighten with the upcoming season. But it's really hard for me to dislike it. I also agree opinion that narrative-wise, Mother's Rosario was the series' high point.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
One extra factor of Progressive is that the author has implied that he plans to remove the original's biggest problem, Heathcliff and the rushed ending he's a part of.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
This article was great write up. Thank you for the good work!

I've always had mixed feelings with SAO (I've always been more of an Accel World fan) and I think these mixed feelings will only heighten with the upcoming season. But it's really hard for me to dislike it. I also agree opinion that narrative-wise, Mother's Rosario was the series' high point.

I don't know if you've read the Alicization LNs, but they drudge incredibly close to the workings of Accel World. And I mean literally down to the vocabulary used to identify certain systems contained in the world's logic spoiler[(such as incarnation, among various other things)].

Heck, there is even a spin-off side story in Accel World's LN (Volume 10) that combats Kirito and Silver Crow against each other through some fancy science fiction mumbo-jumbo.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love the Progressive novels; I hope they get adapted. Ordinal Scale was also awesome.

Really, the only part I don't like is ALO, and that is some parts of it, not the whole thing. The arc between Gun Gale and Mother's Rosario is a little boring...but still okay to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1