• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll's Ellation Plans to Expand Original IP Beyond Video

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they fix all the mess I've been hearing.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

A good start would be to SHOW us the product rather than hope "diversity" alone carries you to interest and attention. The "trailer" for High Guardian Spice was like a Kickstarter pitch only more annoying. The premise is interesting, as a typical Japan anime it would be likely something I'd instantly pick up but all they did was tout how their staff is (almost) all female.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
All female staff, when it's convenient...
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
A good start would be to SHOW us the product rather than hope "diversity" alone carries you to interest and attention. The "trailer" for High Guardian Spice was like a Kickstarter pitch only more annoying. The premise is interesting, as a typical Japan anime it would be likely something I'd instantly pick up but all they did was tout how their staff is (almost) all female.

Actually at the show panel they updated it and reveled a whole bunch more about the show. They said most of the characters are lesbian, and the trans/POC characters are voiced by actual trans/POC actors, which is a first in the industry.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Actually at the show panel they updated it and reveled a whole bunch more about the show. They said most of the characters are lesbian, and the trans/POC characters are voiced by actual trans/POC actors, which is a first in the industry.

Did they say anything else, like the characters' personalities or a bit of their histories?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

This is all educated guessing on my part, but I get the impression that the creators were put in a tough situation by management. They clearly didn't have much completed animation to show off, which isn't their fault since this seems to be very early in production. But the bosses wanted to start building hype for the show early, so they ordered a trailer for the series even though there was hardly any completed content. So we got a trailer about the production instead, because that's all they COULD show us at this stage.

I'm happy to see a production that puts women and minorities at the forefront, as that's still incredibly rare. But I wish they'd waited until there was more animation completed before they did the reveal trailer. That way they could get people excited about the story AND the people behind it. What little we've seen of the show still looks really nice though.

Anyway, the "more than video" thing implies that they likely want to make this into a multimedia franchise, which, if successful, could be a huge profit source for Crunchyroll and allow them to carry even more anime (and likely more original shows.) It could lead to a very bright future for the company if it works out.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
That could mean anything. A crappy mobile game for example.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Oye vay. Why can't people just make good products without the madness brought to the table?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Absolutely none of that makes the show interesting, fun, or watchable.

And assuming they do is going to result in a painful lesson. Guilt based marketing does not work in entertainment. Hell it barely does in food.
Kai99

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

It the writers that are all female( which depending on the production that usually upwards of 4 or more people). The staff is reportedly 50/50 male and female, which IS diverse because American animation use to be( and still is) a boy's club. They were highlighting the all female writing group which might not seem a big deal to some, but there a plenty of tv/cartoon/movies where the writers are all male or have one female voice. It is very rare for it to be the other way around( majority female). When your doing something that is rare, it makes sense to highlight it. The show Atlanta did the same thing when they were marketing their show, highlighting their all black writing staff.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah except everyone in Atlanta had a pedigree beyond a failed Nickelodeon pilot and tanking Hellcat.
teferi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

I don't get how they came to the conclusion that this is what CR's subscribers are interested in. If you look at their features on the most popular shows in the US/EU none of them are remotely like this. It makes no sense that they went from having multiple seasons just dominated by shows like Attack on Titan and decided that for their first original IP they need a cutesy fantasy series sold on the sexual orientation/gender of its staff/cast/characters.
xzy123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

It the writers that are all female( which depending on the production that usually upwards of 4 or more people). The staff is reportedly 50/50 male and female, which IS diverse because American animation use to be( and still is) a boy's club. They were highlighting the all female writing group which might not seem a big deal to some, but there a plenty of tv/cartoon/movies where the writers are all male or have one female voice. It is very rare for it to be the other way around( majority female). When your doing something that is rare, it makes sense to highlight it. The show Atlanta did the same thing when they were marketing their show, highlighting their all black writing staff.

So ghostbuster you don't hear them doing it.
Kai99

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah except everyone in Atlanta had a pedigree beyond a failed Nickelodeon pilot and tanking Hellcat.

What? Atlanta not only scored FX one of their most popular comedies of all time, they are also critically acclaimed with season 1 and 2 scoring over 90% on rotten tomatoes.

Quote:
I don't get how they came to the conclusion that this is what CR's subscribers are interested in. If you look at their features on the most popular shows in the US/EU none of them are remotely like this. It makes no sense that they went from having multiple seasons just dominated by shows like Attack on Titan and decided that for their first original IP they need a cutesy fantasy series sold on the sexual orientation/gender of its staff/cast/characters.

Because Crunchy isn't simply looking at anime viewers. They want to expand their platform to more people, and asked yourself what American shows resulted in huge, almost uncontrollable fan bases? My Little Pony and Steven Universe, both shows which just so happened to be female lead. If they can get a similar fanbase with this original show, not only will Crunchyroll be banking, but it will only help out with the anime they can purchase( they are now competing with Amazon and Netflix, two large economic powerhouses, keep that in mind).
mad_yeti
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
It'd be cool if people on the internet stopped slamming things before they exist. Let them try to do the thing.
It's not catering to your tastes? Cool. You've got lots of other options. Watch something else from the tidal wave of other content already on there.
They're successfully catering to this paid subscriber, so they're doing something right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4