• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
30 Years of Gunbuster

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Even after all these years Gunbuster still manages to move and impress me. The word “epic” gets thrown around a lot in anime circles, but Gunbuster is one of the few shows that reaches those heights. Even when against was cost cutting, they managed to make it look awesome
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
It would be so nice to have a modern bluray release here in the west. The copy i was able to find of the original OVA series was from a library from San Francisco, and the case looked like it had 20 years of abuse. Still a great series, and as for Diebuster, i'm one of those who enjoys it both for what it is, and as a touching tribute to the original.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Luckily, I bought a near mint copy of the Gunbuster dvd a couple years ago for a 100$. It goes for over 200 on the second-hand market now. I read something about licensing being held up due to who owns the rights and music used in it but I’m not sure if that’s just fan speculation.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you can manage to track down a copy, it's by far the best release of Gunbuster we've gotten in English as of this writing.

Rapturous would be the day in which a BD release came to be, complete with the Chariots of Fire musical parody that we have long been denied.

(It could be worse, of course. Zeta Gundam suffers the greater blemish.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Gunbuster and Diebuster are both near and dear to my heart-the first time I saw Gunbuster certain scenes almost made me tearup. I recognize that it's a space soap opera but what a well written effective one it is. I have both the Bandai sets and the bluray "movie" versions of each.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I love the Buster series, i wish we could get a proper Blu-Ray, not that Gunbuster vs Diebuster crap.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
If you can manage to track down a copy, it's by far the best release of Gunbuster we've gotten in English as of this writing.

Rapturous would be the day in which a BD release came to be, complete with the Chariots of Fire musical parody that we have long been denied.

(It could be worse, of course. Zeta Gundam suffers the greater blemish.)

The ONLY THING that's been changed in Zeta are the opening and closing themes.
The animation is UNEDITED even for the opening and closing.

You can watch the opening animation with the original theme online if you want.
The original Zeta theme is a glorified JPop version of Neil Sedaka music and half the people who have seen Zeta prefer the orchestral themes that replaced that it in the Western release!

I'm sorry but this is NOT a battle worth fighting. Had more been altered, I'd be bitching but I've actually seen the altered and unaltered titles.
I'll be honest -- I think the orchestral themes are more majestic and fit the tone of Zeta better than 1970s lounge music. It's really only the closing credit animation that arguably suffers with the loss of the pop music but after a few episodes who BOTHERS to watch the opening and ending credit animation anymore?!? People usually fast-forward past it to get to the story right away.
The bigger problem with Zeta was the original DVD release with the dubtitles but that was fixed after the DVD re-release.

I could live with 5-10 seconds of Gunbuster's music track being altered to avoid a copyright strike, or maybe the owners of Gunbuster could deal honestly and pay a license fee. It's well over 20 years into the DVD era and there's only been ONE honest-to-goodness decent DVD release and it's close to ten years since the original Gunbuster was released on Blu ray.
The announcement was made the Giant Robo (OVA) FINALLY got licensed for Blu ray! It's well past time for Gunbuster to be released in the West even if only 10 of us really remember that show anymore.

This business of "sampling" music was being done well before rappers got caught doing this in the late 1990s. It's plagiarism and bootlegging if you're a pro and don't pay the licensing fees.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Ah, memories...

One thing I found interesting, years later -- apparently there's a lot of subtext that doesn't make it through in translation, as detailed by the blog essay series Imperialism, Translation, Gunbuster.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I am one of those who also has avoided watching Diebuster, for many of the reasons mentioned in the article. If it comes out on other other streaming services, I will watch it.

One food for thought, Noriko and Kazumi returned to an Earth 12,000 years in their future. That is a significant amount of time, especially for a technological society. Just how different would society and life be like. Would they feel like "Strangers in a Strange Land". Would Noriko and Kazumi be thought of a relics of a bygone time and/or primitive.

Imagine humans from 12,000 years in our past, suddenly appearing in our modern society.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved Diebuster, and don't get the problems people had with it. Sure it's a modern style, but it completely captures the spirit of the original.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I will never stop saying this: Gunbuster has the best ending ever.
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
When you have a show where a key dramatic moment is when a girl rips open her shirt to reveal her bare breasts, and a lot of women really like this show and that character, you know it's something special.

This is a cool article but it's weird that it doesn't mention the recent confirmation of Gunbuster 3 - I would think it was written because that happened, but then they don't mention it.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I am happy to say I have the US Renditions VHS Hard-case versions and the Bandai/Honneamise DVD releases. While I'm not as thrilled about Diebuster/GB2, I do have that DVD release as well. I just don't have the movies.

But to me, after the Bubblegum Crisis OVAs, Gunbuster is one of the best OVA series of it's era. Without it, I'd doubt we'd have Gainax and it's eventual legacy.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Gunbuster was perhaps a foundational otaku anime title. That's because it was the first masterpiece of animation that featured girls as the main characters in a title full of fanservice that appealed for a mainly masculine audience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
It would be so nice to have a modern bluray release here in the west.

Yeah. If the Japanese Blu-ray release had English subtitles I would be all over it. Still have it bookmarked on my CD Japan account. I have this slightly paranoid thought that if I did buy the Japanese Blu-ray, lo and behold a U.S. Blu-ray would be announced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2