• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mr. Osomatsu Anime's English Dub Casts Matsuno Sextuplets

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
When's it coming out though?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I know Kyle McCarley, Ray Chase and Max Mittleman, haven't heard of the other 3. Will they announce the rest of the cast at a later date.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
It’s happening! It’s finally happening! I’m so excited omg! \(^A^)/ I recognize everyone but Billy Kametz, but it turns out he voices Josuke in Diamond Is Unbreakable. So Osomatsu is in good hands.

I can’t wait to hear how everyone sounds and to finally watch it. It’s a shame that the first episode will most likely never be dubbed though ^^;;; I would’ve loved to see them dub that hilarity.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I was hoping Chris Niosi would’ve been Karamatsu. He was fantastic as Reigen in the Mob Psycho 100 dub. Oh well, I’m sure Ray Chase will do a good job with him, nevertheless. Now, I’m curious about who’s going to play the supporting characters, including the weirder ones like Dayon and Dekapan. That should be interesting.

Actually, as much as I love this show, I’m surprised it’s getting an English dub. This show is VEEEEERY Japanese. I wonder how they’re gonna do it. Are they gonna put in a whole bunch of localizations or something? I’m both curious and excited to find out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Michael Sinterniklaas as Jyushimatsu is perfect. I don't know any of the others. Regardless of the casting though, doing this in English is going to be a challenge. I expect it will either turn out awesome or abominable, with no middling ground. Smile
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I know Kyle McCarley, Ray Chase and Max Mittleman, haven't heard of the other 3.

Someone who's never heard of Michael Sinterniklaas? What a find! Razz
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I know Kyle McCarley, Ray Chase and Max Mittleman, haven't heard of the other 3. Will they announce the rest of the cast at a later date.

* Hadn’t heard of Billy Kametz either, he’s a newcomer, but apparently he’s the newest Joestar from Diamond is Unbreakable.
* Michael Sinterinklaas is one of the co-founders Of NYAV Post alongside Stephanie Sheh; he’s best known as Taki in Your Name, Kenji in Summer Wars, Dean Venture in The Venture Bros, and Leonardo in the 2003 TMNT series.
* Chris Niosi has a YouTube series called “Do You Know Voice Acting?”, and is best known for playing Reigen in Mob Psycho 100, Pegasus in the Viz Sailor Moon dub, and Dezel in Tales Of Zestiria.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
When's it coming out though?

Probably either late 2018 or early to mid 2019.

Kiddo626 wrote:
Actually, as much as I love this show, I’m surprised it’s getting an English dub. This show is VEEEEERY Japanese. I wonder how they’re gonna do it. Are they gonna put in a whole bunch of localizations or something? I’m both curious and excited to find out.

I can imagine that the English script will be faithful to the Japanese script, but will localize all the Japanese cultural quirks that would sound unnatural in English.
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, that does sound pretty good for what's certainly my most anticipated dub ever at the moment. Now, the wait for a video, and Totoko's VA...

Kiddo626 wrote:

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Michael Sinterniklaas as Jyushimatsu is perfect. I don't know any of the others. Regardless of the casting though, doing this in English is going to be a challenge. I expect it will either turn out awesome or abominable, with no middling ground. Smile

The humor of the show is mostly made up of slapstick and other visual gags, is character-based, and/or just plain universal things that audiences on both sides of the Pacific can laugh at. If it was indeed so very Japanese, it wouldn't have caught on with the Anglosphere the way that it did.

There are actually only a few skits that rely on Japanese language-based humor that will have to be changed to work better in English (small example, the Telephone gag in ep 16? of season 1; big example: the Three Kingdoms skit in season 2 that fell flat to pretty much the entirety of the English watchers). And for things like Karamatsu's cool-cringe shtick where he occasionally peppers his words with English, using Spanish or French (or maybe even alternating between the two!) can work a similar effect.

The challenge is more if the cast can pull off the comedic flow/timing and the camaraderie/natural tone of the brothers bouncing off each other as well as the Japanese VAs did. I don't have a reference for a comedic Sinterniklaas role that 100% assures me he can pull off my man The Juice, but I've heard him in other places, and it seems it's in good hands in general with the casting.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Hazinger Zeta wrote:

The challenge is more if the cast can pull off the comedic flow/timing and the camaraderie/natural tone of the brothers bouncing off each other as well as the Japanese VAs did. I don't have a reference for a comedic Sinterniklaas role that 100% assures me he can pull off my man The Juice, but I've heard him in other places, and it seems it's in good hands in general with the casting.

Agreed. The delivery and timing of the humor is the most difficult part of dubbing Osomatsu. Everything is quick, loud, and sometimes even overwhelming but the acting was always on point. But one of the reasons I am more secure with English dubs of comedy anime is that if it’s actually funny, a majority of the time the production team and voice actors just roll with the insanity and have as much fun as possible with it (eg. Sgt. Frog, Panty and Stocking, Excel Saga, etc.) And personally, I tend to find the dubs to be much funnier due to less of a cultural barrier and more energetic performances. So I’m hoping whoever the studio is can pull off the same results with Osomatsu.
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
Calling it now, Stephanie Sheh will voice Totoko. I base this on her voice acting for Akira Kogami from Lucky Star - she can do sweet but flip the switch to sour very quickly, which would suit Totoko very much!

As for the other secondary characters, they're all so weird, they could be anyone!

Can't wait to get this series, and I hope they DO get the original 1st episode since rights issues might be different in the US, so maybe sale of it here could be allowed? Hopefully someone asks them at a panel or signing!

-Marc.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:15 am Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
Calling it now, Stephanie Sheh will voice Totoko. I base this on her voice acting for Akira Kogami from Lucky Star - she can do sweet but flip the switch to sour very quickly, which would suit Totoko very much!

As for the other secondary characters, they're all so weird, they could be anyone!

Can't wait to get this series, and I hope they DO get the original 1st episode since rights issues might be different in the US, so maybe sale of it here could be allowed? Hopefully someone asks them at a panel or signing!

-Marc.
The only reason i can think of them not being allowed to dub the first episode, is fear of reverse importation. Who will voice Chibita, and what's the American equivalent of that regional accent(the weird way he says certain words like idiot)?
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The only reason i can think of them not being allowed to dub the first episode, is fear of reverse importation. Who will voice Chibita, and what's the American equivalent of that regional accent(the weird way he says certain words like idiot)?

I’ve heard Japanese companies can be very, very strict when it comes to parodies and copyright though, even when it comes to localizations ;; Different copyright laws and all. Unless Viz is willing to try and bargain for it.

And I imagine for Chibita they’ll just have him say “idjits” like how the subs translate it. I don’t think he’s from a different region, just a very aggressive tone. They could give him a slight southern accent if they really wanted to sell his weird verbal fics. I’m more curious if they’ll get a man or a woman to voice him.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
* Hadn’t heard of Billy Kametz either, he’s a newcomer, but apparently he’s the newest Joestar from Diamond is Unbreakable.

And he's doing a mighty fine job of voicing him too. Kametz is really on point as Josuke.

Quote:
* Michael Sinterinklaas is one of the co-founders Of NYAV Post alongside Stephanie Sheh; he’s best known as Taki in Your Name, Kenji in Summer Wars, Dean Venture in The Venture Bros, and Leonardo in the 2003 TMNT series.

I really got to know his voice from Kappa Mikey. He was hilarious in that show. XD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1