• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Been a long time since I've watched that show.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh me too; I'm just.....very good at remembering names for some reason. xD It's weird....
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
It seems this is the place for this question and I hope one of you guys (maybe Mike Toole?) can Identify this Anime...I saw an anime some years back ('80's??) on TV that sort of fit the description of Urusei Yatsura:Beautiful Dreamer which I recently purchased but sadly was not it. What I remember (and it may be faulty in part) is that the story follows a high school girl through a couple of ordinary days when some odd little things start to happen accompanied by a snippet of music "Beautiful Dreamer" by Stephen Foster apparently audible to the character as well as viewer in the background. She starts seeing a mysterious girl coincident with the music and odd happenings that looks a lot like Lum and connecting the occurrences starts to seek her out but finds her elusive, at one point disappearing by diving into a fountain. As she tries to make sense of these things, she finds the strange occurrences getting more frequent and more bizarre to the point that she wonders if she is really dreaming or if she is inside someone else's dream.

That is about where the Lum-alike disappears into the fountain, at which she yells to confront the dreamer messing with her life to show themselves and in response she is put into a Lum-like bikini in the middle of the crowd around the fountain and her top gets "blown" off, leading to much embarrassment. What I remember next is a scene in a bedroom with a person apparently asleep and visible outside the window is a wasteland of destroyed buildings and someone musing if it was possible to make one moment last forever and if reality was meaningful if you were the last person on Earth. The scene concludes with a nuclear mushroom cloud appearing and fades to white.

I really hope you guys can point me in the right direction as I have been trying to find this for many years. After seeing parts of Urusei Yatsura I thought what I was looking for might be in one of the several OVAs but the other descriptions didn't really fit.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:01 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
...I saw an anime some years back ('80's??) on TV...She starts seeing a mysterious girl coincident with the music and odd happenings that looks a lot like Lum and...That is about where the Lum-alike disappears into the fountain, at which she yells to confront the dreamer messing with her life to show themselves and in response she is put into a Lum-like bikini in the middle of the crowd around the fountain and her top gets "blown" off, leading to much embarrassment.

Elements such as 'dream', 'Lum-like character', and 'bikini' remind me of Dream Hunter Rem, but the story you described seems to be not very similar to the stories of the Rem OVAs, if I remember correctly.
horseradish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
^^ Thanks both for getting back so quickly! It was American TV and I don't think there was a romance element, no guys that I remember, just the girl and a few of her female friends. I don't remember if the "mysterious girl" had green hair but I think she appeared in the Lum-bikini when she disappeared into the water of the fountain. Also, the "mysterious girl" didn't talk that I recall, she just was there in the vicinity when odd things happened and nobody else except the protagonist girl seemed able to see her. Sorry, shosakukan though I appreciate your reply but your sample doesn't look much like the art style of the show I saw. Actually, what I remember was more realistic than the general Urusei Yatsura style and what threw me was at the fountain she looked very much like Lum on the jacket of the Beautiful Dreamer OVA below. The setting was modern urban Japan/Tokyo with some high-rise buildings too, so nothing fanciful. I usually have a good memory and not prone to "mash" things together so I hope I am being accurate. Also, fairly sure it wasn't Interlude and I think it had an English dub.
horseradish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
^^ Well, thanks for trying anyway, I do appreciate it. I believe this would have been some OVA rather than an episode because it seems to me it was about an hour long and I'd guess that it may have included Lum references like the bikini as "shoutouts" but otherwise not associated. The music was faint in the background and I have a mental impression relating to "row,row,row your boat" but that may be spurious because the lyric "life is but a dream" is something I might have thought of while watching. I thought of Mr. Toole only because I think it would be considered obscure and he has seen a lot of that!

This is the sort of show that if seen was probably memorable enough because of the ending that one would recall (what I'm counting on) as it was unusual and well done but if not, it would be hard to track down. I am also hoping someone might get a clue from the style or story (that seems like Mr. XX's sort of story). I saw it by chance one weekend in the '80's or very early '90's and have been looking for it on and off since ~2006 when I "discovered" ANN. Actually, I will backtrack and say it wasn't dubbed as I seem to recall it was one of the first shows I watched with subtitles. I tend to "hear" the dialog in English in my head at the same time I hear the Japanese audio. Wink
ILoveMilfs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:09 am Reply with quote
One woman was doing that behind the desk boy was standing, there were other people in that room, then one other women saw that after that all three of them did that together. Smile

Do you know the name of this Hentai?

If inappropriate, delete this post. Shocked

Thanks,
ILoveMilfs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
ILoveMilfs wrote:
One woman was doing that behind the desk boy was standing, there were other people in that room, then one other women saw that after that all three of them did that together. Smile

Thanks,

I also remember the place they were, similar to a kitchen Very Happy. Anyone? Shocked
ILoveMilfs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:49 am Reply with quote
ILoveMilfs wrote:
ILoveMilfs wrote:

Thanks,

I also remember the place they were, similar to a kitchen Very Happy. Anyone? Shocked

BTW, found it
anime#7452
Joe Caswell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
from what the person remembered.

They had to wear these special suits that controlled the level of magic that they could use, There was a special department of the police who had to go and deal with the people who had mutated. It had magic in it, and the magic would mutate the person using it if they used it too much. They wore special suits to stop it from happening. The main character was a guy responsible for killing the mutated people. I think the first episode had a doctor who's suit malfunctioned and he mutated in a hospital. Ringing any bells for anyone?

it sounds so interesting i want to check it out if anybody has any ideas it would be much appreciated!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
^ Sounds like Strait Jacket to me.
masonkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:24 am Reply with quote
It was about 4 office girls, I think. I just watched it on youtube and it was, for the lack of a better word, pretty crude. If I Rufus MapQuest UpToDate remember correctly, I read an article about it that says it was made by 4 actually office girls who don't have any experience with making anime. It had short episodes like inferno cop. Sorry if the details are a bit vague.
Zlaya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Hi there!

for a long time I were looking for a anime that I have watched as a kid and cant find anywhere...
Its about mecha robots (of course Smile , I remember this: the kid throws his whirligig (peg top) and it draws a circle from which a robot comes up an then he goes into it on a skateboard I thing (or maybe i'm wrong)
I also remember everyone have bunny ears...
Please if anyone knows the name of this...
THANKS!!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 548 of 569