• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (and worst) Anime of Summer 2018

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AyaUcchi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Love it when a really under-watched show like Revue Starlight gets the praise it deserves!
May the finale be as great as its previous episodes.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Began the season with some excitement because I thought I would be following more than three anime this season, but dropped all except for Chio's School Road and MHA very early. Which is funny because after the first episode, I thought I would be dropping Chio lol but it turned out to be the series I most loved forward to this season. I'll miss you Manana.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
AyaUcchi wrote:
Love it when a really under-watched show like Revue Starlight gets the praise it deserves!
May the finale be as great as its previous episodes.

It's a nice mix of titles everyone chose for this season and not just one unanimous title that dominated all. But at the very least Revue Starlight and Planet With got a good number of shout outs.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Favorite: Attack on Titan 3 - It is well produced, exciting and intriguing.

Runner-up: Revue Starlight - I really like its visual style, characters and style.

Least favorite: Free! S3 - It started promising but became tedious.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Favorite MHA

Runner up Angels of death (so far)

These two and Planet with were the only shows I watched and while Planet with is definitely a solid and competently written and executed show I could just never get invested in it even tho I watched the whole thing. Confused

Last edited by ultimatehaki on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed quite a lot of animes this season, but if I would pick best/worst, it would probably look like this:

Best - Asobi Asobase
I love crazy humor that was presented in AA - I couldn't stop to laugh while watching every episode.

Runner-up - Sunoharasou no Kanrinin-san
A heartwarming lewd comedy, enjoyed it till the end.

Worst - Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu
I just can't stand another "I haven't speak to any girl IRL so HOW SHOULD I DO THIS". Quite boring and I would rather watch Overlord.
alconnow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Best:
Asobi Asobase. Hanako bestest girl

Runner-up:
We Rent Tsukumogami. Very underrated.

Most disappointing:
Gintama Silver Soul Arc- Second Half War- although I loved the latest episode, the season has been mostly disappointing. I’m still not over how much dialogue they cut in episode 356... Also, the animation has been all over the place.

Happy Sugar Life-
I couldn’t cope with Shio’s voice. Ugh. I know it’s a stupid reason.
NicoleNippah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Best of the season: Planet With, it has likable characters (Soya's character development was really great) and the show was well directed, even with all the things going on it didn't feel rushed or all over the place. Btw Ginko best girl and sister of the season!!

Runner-ups: Angels of Death and Banana Fish, mainly for the great character interactions between it's main leads since those interactions help's them develop, and how they carry the show. Zack and Rachel's funny dinamic it's a delight to see. Ash and Eiji's relationship of how they care for each other is really sweet and kinda sad at the same time.

Worst: Grand Blue, it's not a bad show, I didn't hate it but it isn't my type of comedy and in a season were we got a great comedy show as Asobi Asobase it felt like the worst handled.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
AyaUcchi wrote:

Is it really underwatched, though? It seems to have gotten quite a bit of attention on this site.

Rebecca wrote:
If you just watch one show about a semi-ordinary girl surrounded by lots of hot guys, this [Phantom in the Twilight] should be it.

I wholeheartedly support this statement. One of the better reverse-harem series I've seen in quite a while.

Last edited by Key on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hence I'm going with a series that didn't necessarily start bad but wound up being so banal and dated in construction that I stopped bothering to keep up with it after a few episodes.

So, I just did a panel at Anime Weekend Atlanta called "Whatever Happened to Visual Novel Anime?", and one of the early slides is a Preview Guide comment from 2007 about Clannad that basically says "if you know what this is and who made it, then you already know whether you want to watch it", and one of the later slides has multiple comments (including Theron's) from this summer's Preview Guide about Island that basically say "wow, does anyone remember shows like this?" Combined with the fizzle of Steins;Gate 0, I'm afraid we have to conclude that (barring some unforeseen reinvention?) this genre is done for.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Best: Revue Starlight - I would say more, but things seem pretty well covered by the reviewers. I didn’t expect to be alone in that, but I didn’t think would be one of the most nominated by reviewers for best or runner up. It always seems that whenever I think I’m being bold with my choices for best of the season or year, a couple reviewers have already made the same choice. Though I would say it is more of a pleasant surprise than a complaint.

Runner up: Attack on Titan - While I was a little concerned going in, given what was said about this arc in the manga, I enjoyed this no less than the first or second seasons and did so in ways I would not have expected from the show as it started. While part of that is likely due to my being more interested in exploring the politics of the series's world than perhaps some of the manga readers were, I think they did a good job overall trimming the fat from the source. I do understand that some manga readers feel that they cut too a little too much of the material regarding Historia, but frankly, as an anime only viewer, I found what we got to be already quite compelling, that any further additions could only very marginally increase my enjoyment.

Least favorite: This one is more difficult, than both the previous categories and prior seasons. There wasn’t one series that stuck out as worst for me. If I had to pick, I’ll go with Ragnarok and Music Girls, which were the series that I consistently put off watching. While Ragnarok was fairly bland and not exactly well-produced and left me wishing I had gone with Demon Lord instead, it wasn’t the worst isekai in my opinion and I was mildly interested in the plot line regarding how his adventures could have served as the inspiration for the Ragnarok myth (hence the name). Music Girls was a pretty basic idol series and also not exactly well produced - besides one particular cut of animation which they use repeatedly, for which I don’t begrudge them - but at least it was better than Wake Up Girls of barely animated second season and it had the mildly interesting twist of the MC being a producer than a member of the group spoiler[at least not until the end].

Bakabon gets close, being like a version of Osomatsu-San but with less ideas...than the second season and having a number of the punchlines be how lazy they are in making the show, but it is saved from the very bottom mostly by the Poo Boys otome game parody.

Island is an understandable choice, but I have to admire the audacity of some of the final twists - spoiler[The MC is the main heroine’s dad and he ends up with her mother. Also time is cyclical.] - though not necessarily in a good way.

While I wouldn’t put it at the bottom myself, Holmes was a bit disappointing. I don’t think the unsolvablity of the mysteries is the problem so much as failing to give even the appearance of solvablity, as being too easy to solve can be just as bad for a mystery. I had been inclined to compare this to Hyouka earlier in the season, given the (generally) low-key mysteries, but it’s pretty clear Holmes is not in the same league, even putting aside Hyouka’s much higher production values.

ultimatehaki wrote:
These two and Planet with were the only shows I watched and while Planet with is definitely and solid and competently written and executed show I could just never get invested in it even tho I watched the whole thing. Confused

It’s nice to see someone else felt the same way. While it is definitely one of the better shows this season and could use more people watching it, I just didn’t feel as invested as some of its fans and reviewers. Despite the economy of storytelling, I do think its brisk pace did inhibit my investment as compared to those who named it their favorite of the season (or year). That’s not to say that anyone is somehow wrong to do so, just that I don’t feel the same. Also I may be inclined to agree with Nick on the CG, at least in some cases.

Almost forgot: I have to agree that Build Divers was disappointing. For both the first and second half, the game setting did strain suspension of disbelief with regard to the motivations for each half’s antagonist(s). In the second half, it really does take away from antagonists’s decision to kill rather than accommodate this new lifeform that threatens their world when their world is a game and they can just remake it, as one of the characters later points out. Yes, the ones that want to save a heretofore unseen form of life from being killed over a video game are the selfish ones Rolling Eyes The first half’s antagonist is little better spoiler[seeking to destroy the game with bugs because...it replaced the game he liked.]. Not saying that last part is necessarily unrealistic, just petty in a way that makes him a less compelling villain and a bit pathetic.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
MHA and Black Clovet are the only show I actively watched this season. I think MHA, compared to Nick, delievered on the arc it adapted pretty perfectly and plus that rematch was godlike. Definitely the best show. Plus BC gave us the amazing Vetto fight, an easy runner-up.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Just wait until The internship arc. It is the Chimera ant arc of My hero. ANd Lupin the third part 5 is one of the best anime shows of the summer and is criminally overlooked. I encourage anyone to watch it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
ANd Lupin the third part 5 is one of the best anime shows of the summer and is criminally overlooked. I encourage anyone to watch it.

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer nobody had this as one of their picks. There's been a fair amount of talk on anitwitter (including from Jacob Chapman and Mike Toole) about how good Parts IV and V have been, and how crazy it is that a franchise like Lupin that could be hopelessly dated is instead remarkably current and vibrant.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
BaronViolet wrote:
ANd Lupin the third part 5 is one of the best anime shows of the summer and is criminally overlooked. I encourage anyone to watch it.

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer nobody had this as one of their picks. There's been a fair amount of talk on anitwitter (including from Jacob Chapman and Mike Toole) about how good Parts IV and V have been, and how crazy it is that a franchise like Lupin that could be hopelessly dated is instead remarkably current and vibrant.

That's what you get for having numbers in front of the name of the series. People see "oh, 3rd? Haven't watched the previous ones. Skip." Unfortunately. :/

That said:

Top: Planet With

Runner-up: Lupin III

3rd Place: Starlight Revue.

Worst: Overlord.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4