• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Updates Video Player to HTML5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RealMTL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Finally! It's really sad that this has to be news though. But maybe now I'll be more inclined to watch anime on Crunchyroll instead of VRV.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And yeah, the "can't turn off subtitles" thing is a major nuisance for taking dialog-free screenshots. But that just puts CR's player in line with what Funi has long had, so. . .

I don't know when the option became available but you can turn off the subtitles on funi's website. don't know about anything else since that's the only thing i use. they've had that option since at least the beginning of September, which is when I noticed it when i went to watch the 4 eps of Zillion they uploaded
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I've been dreading this. Sure enough, all I get is a blank screen now. :/
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Key wrote:
And yeah, the "can't turn off subtitles" thing is a major nuisance for taking dialog-free screenshots. But that just puts CR's player in line with what Funi has long had, so. . .

I don't know when the option became available but you can turn off the subtitles on funi's website. don't know about anything else since that's the only thing i use. they've had that option since at least the beginning of September, which is when I noticed it when i went to watch the 4 eps of Zillion they uploaded

Admittedly I haven't tried it since probably the Spring season, so they must have updated that functionality sometime over the summer. Would have been nice to have had that back when Funi's site was still one of the major providers of subbed simulcasts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to 2010 Crunchy Roll! About time! Sooo about HTML 6... lol
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I only care that free users finally get HD! I'll actually be using Crunchy now that it's not garbage 480p.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
I feel Crunchyroll is still way behind the times. If they don't put some effort into keeping with the technology curve, it will ultimately hurt themselves.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:44 am Reply with quote
Nice to see that CR has implemented this long-requested update, though I'm not surprised that it didn't take long for the usual goalposts-moving to begin.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:15 am Reply with quote
So what was the one that they were suing before?
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:04 am Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:
Nice to hear. When are they switching over to HTTPS so I don't have to disable my "HTTPS Everywhere" extension, just to watch anime?

configspace wrote:
It's superior to every html5 player from Amazon to Youtube in terms of sheer soft-subtitling abilities. CR's player in html5 is the ONLY one that even remotely close to supporting the .ass (apha sub-station) subtitling formats. They ported over most of their support for subititles in flash over, but have yet to port the other features from the flash player. It's no wonder since they were the first to use Aegisub for commercial subtitling. The mainstream players support horrifically basic closed captioning subtitles that is either hard to read or blocks out a good chunk of video

Honstly, I hope WebVTT gets more traction. Its spec should be as flexible as (or more than) ASS subs with its support for CSS styling and some limited HTML, but aside from Webkit-based browsers (Chrome, Safari and Opera) it appears that other browsers (IE/Edge and Firefox) only support basic text tags with no CSS styling or positioning support.

That's the issue and likely one of the reasons CR took so long is that there's no actual standard beyond the dumbed down closed captioning style subtitles in html5 because literally no one else in the online streaming world cares about advanced subtitling or typesetting. Even Funimation had to use hardsubs (i.e. it's baked into the video). CR's implementation works the same across all browsers (I use Firefox, so a webkit based framework wouldn't help me) and languages. But even currently as stated in the article the typsetting is not still quite as good as before when they used flash.

As far as WebVTT I took a look at the spec and it does seem to support a subset of ASS. It doesn't appear to support the the overlay of graphics and animation like ASS, to implement karaoke effects or scrolling text replacement on a cell phone. But then again, neither does CR's player.

about the article's
Quote:
It also currently does not offer the ability to change subtitle language or turn off subtitles from within the video,

Just an FYI while you can't disable subtitles currently, you CAN switch to a different language from within the episode's page with the language links and their country flags just under each video. Hopefully they bring all the functionality back from the flash version in a right-click menu or the player's settings button

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I've been dreading this. Sure enough, all I get is a blank screen now. :/

On desktop or some device? On a desktop browser, I had some issues too. I had to log out and completely clear my cookies and cache then login. There's this thread:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1024556/new-html5-player-2018-unofficial-faq?pg=0
and these pages:
https://help.crunchyroll.com/hc/en-us/categories/200405225-Technical-Questions
https://help.crunchyroll.com/hc/en-us/articles/205402055-The-VIDEOS-AREN-T-WORKING-properly-What-s-wrong-
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:37 am Reply with quote
I honestly didn’t even notice a change. Just shows my lack of observation.

But really I am just here waiting to be able to download stuff to watch offline.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:47 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I honestly didn’t even notice a change. Just shows my lack of observation.

But really I am just here waiting to be able to download stuff to watch offline.

IIRC VRV offers that.

Anyway, good. Now I’m sure that will placate the fanbase and not cause more complaints to a company with worse PR than Konami. No sir, this is gonna be good for them.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I had noticed that the player changed. Cool, I guess. I never really had any real issues with the old player. It wasn't good for using the seek bar thingy to get to a specific part in an episode among some other issues. But generally speaking I had no issues when watching an episode from beginning to end.

Key wrote:
And yeah, the "can't turn off subtitles" thing is a major nuisance for taking dialog-free screenshots.

Well, that's annoying. Being able to turn off subs to take a screenshot was something I quite liked.
sputn1k

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

That's the issue and likely one of the reasons CR took so long is that there's no actual standard beyond the dumbed down closed captioning style subtitles in html5 because literally no one else in the online streaming world cares about advanced subtitling or typesetting. Even Funimation had to use hardsubs (i.e. it's baked into the video). CR's implementation works the same across all browsers (I use Firefox, so a webkit based framework wouldn't help me) and languages. But even currently as stated in the article the typsetting is not still quite as good as before when they used flash.

As far as WebVTT I took a look at the spec and it does seem to support a subset of ASS. It doesn't appear to support the the overlay of graphics and animation like ASS, to implement karaoke effects or scrolling text replacement on a cell phone. But then again, neither does CR's player.

The problem with WebVTT is probably that there's no proper editor for it that offers the same functionality as Aegisub does for .ass subtitles. Any platform wanting to take advantage of WebVTT while retaining easy editing will probably have to keep working with Aegisub and then convert the output via other tools for the time being.
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
At least for me, the new player is much, much better than the old one. As in it actually works, instead of just freezing up all the time.

Whereas mine has been freezing up more... Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3