• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Updates Video Player to HTML5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
I was so surprised when I went to watch some anime and the new player was up and running, everything was perfect, no freezing and easy to FF to points or rewind to watch the scene again with no bumps.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
Hello,

Streaming issues normally lie with the carrier or bandwidth issues from your ip. Though with Crinchyroll it may be a issue where the carrier your IP service delivery system slows the speeds for Crinchyroll. This or Crunchyroll sereves are over loaded by demand for product to many connections. This explaines why new episodes of highly popular anime freeze while playing. Also the new player chooses your speed auto meaning you get dips in visuals. I have noticed with my iOS devices iPad and iPhone the player losses it’s sound after a round of commercials. Both my devices are running iOS 12 if I back track ten seconds the sound resumes! This is a huge pain in the rear and poor coding by Crunchyroll staff. Also at some point the new app the VRV mess that adds more in a diss functional mess where anime is seperated and messy to find. The offline ability only functioned
Sometimes with that app! I had several issues trying to use it while my membership was in effect! I feel the help service is a generic automated system with zero resolution ability! I know this keeps costs low but it offers zero solutions for issues with the service for users.
Most companies just offer a product these days when it works great you need a high speed no limit connection and they need more servers to push content. While YouTube, Amazon, and other apps would play without a freeze or the current loss of sound sometimes after a commercial the other apps work flawlessly. This tells you it’s a Crunchyroll issue. They answer with generic responses that offer zero honest resolution! I still use the service just not a paying member since the sound issue is happening on a iPhone 7 just. A few days old with iOS 12.0 and the Crunchyroll app in its current form!
IanKen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Great.

Now fix this Android TV client so that it doesn't fall over with bogus "you have no internet connection" error messages.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Digibro!
sputn1k

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Hello,

Streaming issues normally lie with the carrier or bandwidth issues from your ip. Though with Crinchyroll it may be a issue where the carrier your IP service delivery system slows the speeds for Crinchyroll. This or Crunchyroll sereves are over loaded by demand for product to many connections. This explaines why new episodes of highly popular anime freeze while playing. Also the new player chooses your speed auto meaning you get dips in visuals. I have noticed with my iOS devices iPad and iPhone the player losses it’s sound after a round of commercials. Both my devices are running iOS 12 if I back track ten seconds the sound resumes! This is a huge pain in the rear and poor coding by Crunchyroll staff. Also at some point the new app the VRV mess that adds more in a diss functional mess where anime is seperated and messy to find. The offline ability only functioned
Sometimes with that app! I had several issues trying to use it while my membership was in effect! I feel the help service is a generic automated system with zero resolution ability! I know this keeps costs low but it offers zero solutions for issues with the service for users.
Most companies just offer a product these days when it works great you need a high speed no limit connection and they need more servers to push content. While YouTube, Amazon, and other apps would play without a freeze or the current loss of sound sometimes after a commercial the other apps work flawlessly. This tells you it’s a Crunchyroll issue. They answer with generic responses that offer zero honest resolution! I still use the service just not a paying member since the sound issue is happening on a iPhone 7 just. A few days old with iOS 12.0 and the Crunchyroll app in its current form!

Yeah, nowadays streaming issues are rarely an issue on behalf of the streaming service. CDN providers can scale very heavily on demand, so it is nigh impossible to exhaust capacity for any of the big players.

The issues are mostly on the client side, e.g. a bad network configuration on the PC or local network, other users on the same network using bandwidth.
And if it isn't local, it is likely somewhere on the route between the client and servers of the CDN providers, which usually limits what clients or service can actually do about it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
Other than not currently having the ability to turn off subs entirely, I like the new player a lot. I'm glad that functionality is going to come back(hopefully very soon). I would also definitely appreciate the ability to download videos. I've been watching a lot more Netflix during work since I no longer have unlimited data and need to download whatever I plan to watch for the day. I'd rather watch new anime on CR, but that is unfortunately not an option. Maybe I'll check out VRV, I guess.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
I just went on the Apple TV, videos won't work anymore, thanks a lot Crunchyroll.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I just went on the Apple TV, videos won't work anymore, thanks a lot Crunchyroll.

Apple TV doesn’t handle that with an app?

I don’t have one, that’s why I’m asking.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
#829737 wrote:
Thanks Digibro!
CR had been working on this for months. Correlation is not causation.

And whitesox123, this forum is not Bootleg Streaming Tech Support. If you continue to advocate for illegal streaming sites, expect to see your posts edited, deleted, or placed on moderation (subject to pre-approval before displaying).
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
#829737 wrote:
Thanks Digibro!
CR had been working on this for months. Correlation is not causation.

They actually worked on it longer than that. Over a year ago, they allowed members to try a beta version of the html5 player. I tried it but it was very buggy at the time.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I watch CR on my Roku now. I presume all of this applies only to browsers?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Finally I will be able to watch anime, should I so choose, without a significant risk of Flash adverts crashing my browser on Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Finally, CR has finally upgraded their player to a new era. What took you so long, CR?? But oh well, better now then never I guess.

Key wrote:
Calathan wrote:
At least for me, the new player is much, much better than the old one. As in it actually works, instead of just freezing up all the time.

Although I've not had problems with the new player stopping totally (unlike the old one), I have seen several occasions where the video freezes up for a few seconds but the audio doesn't. Occasionally the auto-quality feature gets chooses some weirdly low resolutions, too. And yeah, the "can't turn off subtitles" thing is a major nuisance for taking dialog-free screenshots. But that just puts CR's player in line with what Funi has long had, so. . .

Same here, Key. I don't have any issues with the player so far. What I do like about this new player is that all users regardless if they have a free or a CR subscription is let me quote this from the CR new player FAQs:

Crunchyroll FAQs wrote:
I’m a free user, am I supposed to be able to watch videos in HD?

Yes! Resolution will be based on bandwidth, but we are excited to provide HD video for all users on desktop, starting with this new player.

That one made me really happy because I now can watch live-action/non-anime content in HD on CR. Anime in HD didn't really made any difference to me compared to anime in SD, but live-action/non-anime in HD is a big deal to me. So that's what I love about this new player.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3