• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Panel Pushes Ban on Illegal Downloads Forward

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there is a Japanese EFF, and how this will affect Fair Use in japan.

Also i bet that this threat will become another flame war between anti-fansub and not so anti-fansub people.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
I wonder if there is a Japanese EFF, and how this will affect Fair Use in japan.

Also i bet that this threat will become another flame war between anti-fansub and not so anti-fansub people.

-Gabe

On that topic of Fansubs, I wonder if this will hurt big time download shows like Naruto and bleach here in the states. I wonder if this is the first step towards combating illegal Fansubs and bootlegs by the Japanese government?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see what kind of steps they take to enforce the new law(if any). And it will be even more interesting to see if they work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
I wonder if people who downloads fansubs also downloads movies illegally... Oh well... I've been expecting this to be happen anyway.
james438

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The proposed revision is aimed at video streaming sites such as Japan's Nico Nico Douga and Google's YouTube. However, it was noted at the meeting that users might visit a site that happens to have unauthorized material, and therefore run afoul of the revised law without realizing it.

I assume that this means that they are still crafting it so as to deal with people who visit such sites by accident. Also it makes me think that when a site like Nico Nico is discovered and shut down the IP addresses of the people who visit it will be recorded as well.

As far as Google's Youtube, does that mean that people who go to google or Youtube and view episodes of Naruto or what not will receive subpoenas?
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I wonder if people who downloads fansubs also downloads movies illegally...

From what I've experienced online, they're mostly not. The main thing with fansubs is that they provide access to material that isn't otherwise available in that area. With movies, a trip to the theater is an immediate alternative. I should note that I'm speaking from an American standpoint; I realize movies generally don't have worldwide releases on the same day.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
I can see quite a few people leaving office very soon just because they support this act... If they got 7500 negative comments out of 7600 comments, nobody that passes that law is going to survive in the office they are in beyond another 30 days. I am sure there will be many public apologies as the law is repealed and someone stands up and says "it will never happen again".

Of course if they ignore the PEOPLE in Japan and try to continue on their course, then it will just translate into a wholesale slaughter at the next election time, and nobody in power now will be in power later.

You reap what you sow...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
If they got 7500 negative comments

You realize that people are much more likely to send letters or contact their law makers to complain about something they dont like, than to ever send letters of praise. Right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:03 am Reply with quote
Japanese law already bans illegal uploading. And we know how well that has been working.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quote
So its pretty much just going to stop niconico, still going to be piss easy to get HD raws off japanese p2p programs, also still easy for the Japanese to get their fansubs of ER and such too.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote
but i don't get it , i thought that Nico already paid royalty fees to copyright holders because of all the copyrighted stuff on it :S
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
Even though Japan is starting to get stricter on these file-sharing issues, it doesn't necessarily mean it will get better or worse. It could become both. Just because something is illegal doesn't mean someone will not do it.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
How do they plan to monitor access to youtube and video streaming sites? They are going to require all ISPs to log connections/urls on youtube/etc to prosecute people? It'd be fairly easy to end up connecting to youtube from someone elses blog and unintentionally being prosecuted if this were the case. This is ignorant law at it's finest. I see the Japanese have been learning from the American government.

So they also seem to be in the crowd of people who think if there are any negatives to an activity on the part of some, that a law must be created to punish everyone who participates. This is the same kind of logic that allowed prohibition in the US. It will fail miserably but in this new age the failure won't be as visible and won't create a mob or gangs.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
If they got 7500 negative comments

You realize that people are much more likely to send letters or contact their law makers to complain about something they don't like, than to ever send letters of praise. Right?
Letters of praise are generally kept for re-election time. It's the letter X by his, or her name on the ballet.Wink
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh, letters of praise aren't letters at all. It's the money from lobbyists that they are looking for, and that money they use to buy press. Most people vote for who they know, and without knowing of any alternatives even if the small guy is closer to their views they aren't going to know about him to make a vote. This isn't popular with the general public, most of the general public doesn't care one way or another.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7