• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: 100 Sleeping Princes and the Kingdom of Dreams: The Animation Episodes 1 - 12 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show for its simplicity and its large cast of some of my favorite voice actors. I’ve also gotten the opening stuck in my head more than once. I wouldn’t necessarily buy it, but I wouldn’t be adverse to watching Princes again.

Quote:
This is an interesting choice because preliminary research shows that Kihel isn't a main character in the original game, suggesting that this may be a poor adaptation or more of a marketing tool than a series intended to stand on its own.

I remember the articles that came out on this site announcing the cast before the show aired stating that Kihel was an anime only original character. I don’t know if they’ve since added him to the game or not.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
I know it's an otome game adaptation but the lack of any romantic subtext was one of the anime strongest points. Princess doesn't have enough personality for a compelling romance and she is too busy connecting with new characters every arc anyways.

It manages to not feel super cluttered in spite of the loads of characters, though I agree most of the Alice crew were unnecesary. Most of the princes were fine for their limited screentime, Kagemaru was a punchable but fun villain and Setiq was a complex character but also a quite annoying drama queen.

In the main characters' side, Khiel was an original character but his story and development was the most solid, with Princess being...herself, Avi not being given a lot outside of his role as a protector and his friendship with Khiel and Navi being an exposition machine. It's still weird that Princess' kingdom and backstory were never touched upon. The open ending suggests they wanted to make a second season but these kind of animes rarely get that.
Zunda-mochi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:

I remember the articles that came out on this site announcing the cast before the show aired stating that Kihel was an anime only original character. I don’t know if they’ve since added him to the game or not.

I play this game currently, and Kihel appeared briefly in the last chapter of the Second Part of the main storyline. He's currently only obtainable to get if you purchase the anime DVDs and obtain a serial code that comes along with it. Not sure if in the future the game will make him available via gatcha or a special drop quest or something for us Yume 100 fans.

I posted my response and explanation back in the Series Discussion thread about the Princess and the difference between the anime and the actual storyline game here.
Honestly, I kind of was half paying attention and not paying attention to this anime while it was airing. Because being familiar with the game version's story, I really wasn't a fan of this adaption at all.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
@Zunda-mochi: That sounds like it would have been a great story for the anime, so it’s kind of disappointing they didn’t go with that.

Still, I liked Avi and everyone well enough to watch the whole thing. It’s too bad the game isn’t available in English, though, because otherwise I’d play it.
Zunda-mochi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
@rahzel rose: Yeah... Honestly, I kind of knew when they first announced this from just looking at the anime art style of it alone, that it probably wasn't going to be good at all. I mean, I slightly hoped I was going to be proven wrong, but then the later episodes confirmed it for me.
Plus ironically and surprisingly, the writer for the series, Takahashi Natsuko (same person that wrote the Cute Defense High School series) usually writes decently, but they were writing for other anime series that were airing at the same time as Yume 100, so I wonder if THAT might have affected the writing for this adaption or something.

It is too bad that there isn't an English language version of this game (though, I think this hasn't stopped from some people in... using other means to bypass the country's region-lock to play it...). Because if you are someone that likes puzzle games with some pretty art of handsome guys to collect for their different 'forms' (as well as some otome elements mixed in it), then it's a pretty fun game otherwise.
The one thing the anime didn't cover was that in the game, depending on what answer you choose for whatever Prince you are speaking to they either go the 'Sun' or 'Moon' routes which changes their stats and costume design. Then again, I wouldn't know how the heck they would be able to adapt THAT to the anime really.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:07 am Reply with quote
Zunda-mochi wrote:

It is too bad that there isn't an English language version of this game (though, I think this hasn't stopped from some people in... using other means to bypass the country's region-lock to play it...). Because if you are someone that likes puzzle games with some pretty art of handsome guys to collect for their different 'forms' (as well as some otome elements mixed in it), then it's a pretty fun game otherwise.
The one thing the anime didn't cover was that in the game, depending on what answer you choose for whatever Prince you are speaking to they either go the 'Sun' or 'Moon' routes which changes their stats and costume design. Then again, I wouldn't know how the heck they would be able to adapt THAT to the anime really.

All of this.

(I'm thinking of how Shugo Chara did multiple transformations for the characters, and how that could would with something like Yume100... )

The game is really good, and the anime could have been good.

It felt like they just made an anime because they felt like they had to, as opposed to trying to do something interesting with it. Except Kihel is almost interesting (probably). So they did put an... ounce of thought into this...?

I quit when Sarasa (the mermaid) showed up and had only one line. Then I came back for my snow boys <3 but I didn't bother to watch more than one episode with them. I want to finish their arc and check out Mad Hatter and Hearts and Cheshire Cat because I like them from the game.

The shorts series was better because it didn't try to have an overall plot, and it was really silly, but that was never officially subbed...?

Quote:
Princess dresses a bit young for a supposed office worker

Nahh, if you go to events/stage plays/ otome things in general, you'll see all the fans dress like that, and most of them are in their 20's-30's. Almost everyone is wearing Axes Femme, occasionally one or two people will be wearing lolita brands like Angelic Pretty. And stuff in between like Liz Lisa or Leur Getter, but there are far more casual-otome-kei/Axes Femme looks than like... jeans and t-shirts? Or whatever else you think a late-20's-early-30's person should be wearing...?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1