• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Dark Maidens Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
This sounds like the perfect autumn book. I always appreciate your reviews. I discover some awesome stuff because of them. Thank you!
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
This sounds like the perfect autumn book. I always appreciate your reviews. I discover some awesome stuff because of them. Thank you!

Seconded!
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Really great review! Hope sometime we can get a "JK Haru is a Sex Worker in Another World" review.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:

Seconded!

You're welcome! This is one of my favorite books I've read recently, and the ending is really something. That definitely made this one of the harder reviews I've written as well, because I was trying so hard not to spoil it...

LegitPancake, both Theron and I are interested in reviewing it, but there were concerns that it was too explicit. It's an amazing book, though - not only a satire of the usual isekai tropes directed at the usual audience, but it also feels like a fairly accurate depiction of working in the sex industry. Pharmboy23 and here-and-faraway, I really recommend it.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Is it Yuri or just teenage literature for girls in the old-fashioned Class S style? I love Mari Okada and since she wrote the script for the live action adaptation, it became interesting to me.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh interesting! Not my usual fare, but I’ll give it a go. It certainly sounds intriguing. Thanks muchly Smile
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Is it Yuri or just teenage literature for girls in the old-fashioned Class S style? I love Mari Okada and since she wrote the script for the live action adaptation, it became interesting to me.

Just good old-fashioned Class S-style. While there's one perspective that has some yuri to it, it's just incidental.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

Just good old-fashioned Class S-style. While there's one perspective that has some yuri to it, it's just incidental.

Thank you for the answer, I just love this style.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
This sounds incredibly interesting. I'll definitely check it out.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Really great review! Hope sometime we can get a "JK Haru is a Sex Worker in Another World" review.

Wow, thank you for mentioning this LN ... I just looked it up on Amazon out of curiosity and read the first page and I cannot wait to read the rest!
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just finished this and it was really great. I figured some twists out, they aren’t really hidden per se, but there was no way I could have seen the actual ending. It was much better than what I thought it was barreling toward (although that would have been just as grim).

One thing though - did anybody else get the impression that spoiler[they, uh, actually ate Itsumi at the end? It is strongly implied by a sentence or two at the end...]. Yoiks. Great dark fall read, really great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1