• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Puzzle & Dragons X (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:36 am Reply with quote
A little strange that it feels like the conflicts are suddenly resolved.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Ah, they had me going there for awhile. *sniff* I don't know though, somehow endless "devi" is more irritating than endless "tama."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
It did get emotional, but to be honest I was suspecting that it might have been a test of how much they would be willing to give up to heal Devi. The girl looked like the kind to purposely flourish the truth.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:23 am Reply with quote

So rather than winding things up, it looks like they're launching a whole new story arc. Doesn't look like this will be over any time soon. But that's ok, I'm not bored with these kids yet.

Still, this episode seemed really slow to me, like they were padding way more than usual. Even people just nodding seemed to take twice as long. I thought I was going to petrify before they finished setting up those drop detectors.

It also drove me nuts that Ace didn't bother mentioning the monsters being afraid in the meeting. At least he finally coughed up the info to somebody.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Lol, they really went there. "There's nothing up our sleeves anymore...except one Ace?" :winkwink nudgenudge: And from the previews, maybe a Lance.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 85

I would not normally think this, but Devi having love hearts in his eyes is making me rethink my opinions on what Devi thought of Lance. Kind of wish Lance was able to hear Jest pretty much admit to killing Lance's parents.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:20 am Reply with quote
Lotsa recapping in this one. But Jest sure got a power-up, huh. Lol at Satan getting absorbed. Not really what he bargained for, being King of Hell and all.

I thought regular folks couldn't see drops? Even Charo couldn't see them at first. Are all the ones Jest is calling special because he's calling them or something? It sure looked like the man-on-the-street can see all these drops.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:38 am Reply with quote

So much padding in that episode I could barely find the plot. How many times did they need to bash him before they believed what they themselves kept saying about their attacks just giving him more power? Definition of insanity and all that...

I kept expecting King to finally show up with some crucial info from his moons mission, but I guess he couldn't wade through the padding either. I know our boys need to be the ones to put Jest down with the Power of Friendship™, but surely King has some part to play in all this, since he and Jest still have some unfinished business. Maybe that's why Sonia showed up, to summon him or something.

I hadn't really taken in Jest's final form before. He's a pegasus centaur minotaur dragonoid now? A satanic pegaminocentaursus dragonoid with Skittles-pox?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote
Did anything happen in the episode? I think that my brain kind of went into screensaver mode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
No, it was the episode that was in screensaver mode. I think the only thing that happened was Jest powering up and yammering about rebirthing the world x 8, the monsters all collapsing, and Sonia showing up at the end to meet with the old reindeer-horned dude whose name I forget.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 89 (finale)

What do you know, they actually had a finale to the ending. Perhaps too good to have King as a part of the story, where he comes back, and then Tamazou and Devi have to say goodbye. Not going to lie, I did feel the emotion of that, because they are Ace and Lance's partners, with Tamazou practically being an inseparable part of Ace through the run. Although, if the very end was anything to go by, the two of them may have been given a chance to reunite with their friends. Being more cynical, I do think the end of the series has been a bit cluttered, where it feels like the battle to save the planet came off of the conflict with Jest, when not quite the same thing.

Now that the show has finished, I can really give an overview of it. I don't think the show is necessarily what one would call good, it is passable, and probably plenty fine for their target audience. Why I still decided to watch and stick with it, I can't entirely say. It had a charm that I would say appealed to something in me. I think that if I watched it as a kid, I probably would have loved it, and somehow it felt easy to watch it in that way. I liked the characters, even if some were love to hate. Although, thinking a little, Ana felt sort of underutilised in the end, she had a pretty large part in later part OP and ED. It looked like she was introduced to be a female counterpart to Ace, as a character of interest to Lance, but she did not really do anything after leaving the village, just drinking tea or something about frozen yogurt. Which maybe goes a way to say the show failed with female characters, but Morgan and Heriot were pretty great mentor characters, and I still think that Garnet was my favourite in the show.

Animation was up and down, often not very impressive, but occasionally they would push it up for cool parts. The biggest flaw you could put, would probably be often its logic, that presumably in fights often one person is doing nothing while the other attacks. Fights often don't go in a logical aspect, where characters might be weaker or stronger. Anyway, despite all that, I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I don't think I lost my time watching it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the tamadras got to go back to them, though I knew they would.

I can't say I cared for the whole ending battle thing. It's been a constant thread running through the series that to calm down angry monsters or the Terra Dragon you need to beat the crap out of them. Smile That's a weird message.

I'm also not totally on board with the idea that these two kids get to decide for the whole planet that it's better to keep suffering and struggling than to have a world without misery. The Terra Dragon said nothing would be lost if he rebooted the world, except that it would be peaceful, so I'm having a hard time rooting for "Nope, we like being miserable!" Captain Kirk used to keep trashing Edens all over space for the same reason and that always annoyed me then too. I'm not sure adversity makes you better for anything more noble than withstanding adversity. Given a choice, I'd prefer a world where that wasn't a necessary skill.

But overall I enjoyed it. It was certainly better than I expected it to be going in. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5