• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Emma: A Victorian Romance English Dub Kickstarter Campaign Ends With US$253,834

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Ha and here people were saying it likely wouldn't reach 180k, those last 48 hours are usually a huge push. Anyhow a very solid finish, I'm not a dub person myself but it's great for everyone that always wanted a dub for this series. Plus I enjoy watching the anime community unite and support something they love, it feels very warm and wholesome.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I like the manga, so I'm happy this KS did well. I don't know how good of an adaptation the anime is, but still.

Otoyomegatari anime never, but I suppose in this era of 12 episode adaptations; it would have been cut off anyways.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
I like the manga, so I'm happy this KS did well. I don't know how good of an adaptation the anime is, but still.

Having read the manga and watched the show it is a really good adaption. I think a dub will really be great for this type of show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LightningCount

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to RightStuf/Nozomi, and I'm happy for the fans...but I'm still hoping that shows like After War Gundam X get an English dub, which is long overdue.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The only anime I would want to buy a Kickstarter version for is "Blessing Of The Campanella "
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
I'm not a dub person myself but it's great for everyone that always wanted a dub for this series. Plus I enjoy watching the anime community unite and support something they love, it feels very warm and wholesome.

Well said. I'm not much of a dub fan either, which is probably the result of the fact that when I got into anime the standard for dubs was downright awful. But this has my attention since it really seems like they are taking the time (and have the budget) to do it right. I will certainly be checking it out!

LightningCount wrote:
but I'm still hoping that shows like After War Gundam X get an English dub, which is long overdue.

Was there ever even a sub release for Gundam X? I liked that show a lot. I have it on LD but that's not of much use for sharing with friends who don't understand Japanese. Every once in a while I go looking for a domestic release but all I ever come across is bootlegs.

Last edited by Shiflan on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:

Having read the manga and watched the show it is a really good adaption. I think a dub will really be great for this type of show.

Was it a complete adaptation? i have been wondering about this for a while now.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Was there ever even a sub release for Gundam X?

https://www.rightstufanime.com/search?keywords=gundam%20x
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Shiflan wrote:
Was there ever even a sub release for Gundam X?

https://www.rightstufanime.com/search?keywords=gundam%20x

Nice, thank you very much!
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't think this would hit 180K in 2 days, let alone exceed the goal by 70K
Never saw that coming

Guess I better get in on the slacker backer thing or else wait for retail
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I could throw up when I read something like this >.<
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm delighted that this is a reality. Anime like "Emma:A Victorian Romance" deserve every chance to succeed. There are other anime that are well deserving of this sort of thing. And,just to let everyone like HoboSoup and Shiflan know,I'm a dub fan. No disrespect to those who like their anime subbed,but it's too difficult for me to enjoy a show like this. To me,the subtitles are too much of a distraction,especially when the show is in a foreign language. And,since this particular show is set in Great Britain,an English dub is appropriate for it.
Recently,I tracked down the "Aria the Animation" dub and it was pretty darn good. I watched only a few minutes of it but the dub is a good one. Trust me. The time,effort,and money was well spent. I donated about a dollar to this particular campaign and I don't regret it a bit. I only hope that the dub for this show is as equally good. But,considering the actors Right Stuff/Nozomi are getting to do this,I have no doubt this'll be fantastic.

I hope that other deserving anime like "Emma" get the Kickstarter treatment. It's a good idea and it should be considered. This show deserves an English dub and a chance to get a wider audience who will get to appreciate it. I like this idea a lot.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrizy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:11 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
The only anime I would want to buy a Kickstarter version for is "Blessing Of The Campanella "

Unfortunately that won't likely happen
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:16 am Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
I could throw up when I read something like this >.<

Here are the fake barf bags!
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
Glad to see this hit its goal and get a last minute surge. Definitely a show that deserved to get a dub and it's very VERY exciting to know it's finally getting one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2