• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boarding School Juliet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:52 pm Reply with quote
If you're wondering about this series, just know that the manga's still ongoing. The anime is probably going to adapt up through chapter 18, which concludes the same way as the original oneshot before it was serialized. Basically, even if this is the only cour we get, it should have a proper "ending".
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
^ Okay. That is good to hear.

. . . . . . .

On another note, I have been meaning to ask about this last night.

I take it this illustration at the end of episode 1 was by Hiro Mashima correct?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
I take it this illustration at the end of episode 1 was by Hiro Mashima correct?
Correct.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
^ I thought I recognize this style of drawing characters. Thanks Peterhof! Even more so now that I think about it I am glad Hiro has moved past making his style like a copy of Eichiro Oda.

So it looks like at the end of each episode we are going to be shown illustrations from other artists relating to the show. I wonder if another artist I know has illustrated something for this anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Just in case someone is interested, Haruba Negi ( known primarily for Rengoku no Karma and 5-toubun no Hanayome, another exceptional love comedy which will be animated next year ) did the Chartreux's illustration for the second ep. Can't wait for Hasuki's illustration Anime exclamation
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
^ I see. Also, you know what artists are going to have their illustrations related to this anime shown?
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
No, i tried to check for any announce from Hiro Mashima, Haruba Negi and Yoshikawa Miki ( Hasuki's illustration from Episode 3, Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo's author ) on Pixiv and Twitter, but i couldn't find any before the episode airing date so i guess it wasn't announced beforehand, they rarely announced when other anime had similar illustration from other artists.
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Char's future prospects, spoiler[the series does tease a potential relationship with Scott but nothing's come of it so far, and it might just be a gag.]

With three episodes through, I think I've nailed the pacing:

Ep 1: ch 1
Ep 2: ch 2-3
Ep 3: ch 4-5
Ep 4: ch 6-7
Ep 5: ch 8
Ep 6: ch 9-10
Ep 7: ch 11
Ep 8: ch 12
Ep 9: ch 13
Ep 10: ch 14
Ep 11: ch 15-16
Ep 12: ch 17-18

Though tbh, they could be planning to squeeze some of the one-off chapters together and stretch out the final arc across 3-4 episodes. Maybe even take some later filler and throw it into these one-offs. I'm curious where it'll go next month.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
That would make a good stopping point for a first cour but i don't think they intend to stop so soon at chap.18, the main reasons are : Kochou and Teria which are not only in the opening but also had their seiyuu announced so i doubt that they intend to skip them, spoiler[ if i remember correctly they first appeared in chapter 19, also, the others prefect present in the opening didn't appeared before them, Anne on episode 1 was an anime original scene ] .

spoiler[ They are most likely gonna adapt until the last chapter before the manga became monthly, chapter 25 ( training camp arc which ended with Romeo/Juliet fighting Airu. Starting chapter 26 there was kind of a "reset" when the monthly release started )]
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
That would make a good stopping point for a first cour but i don't think they intend to stop so soon at chap.18, the main reasons are : Kochou and Teria which are not only in the opening but also had their seiyuu announced so i doubt that they intend to skip them, spoiler[ if i remember correctly they first appeared in chapter 19, also, the others prefect present in the opening didn't appeared before them, Anne on episode 1 was an anime original scene ] .

spoiler[ They are most likely gonna adapt until the last chapter before the manga became monthly, chapter 25 ( training camp arc which ended with Romeo/Juliet fighting Airu. Starting chapter 26 there was kind of a "reset" when the monthly release started )]

Kochou and Teria are first introduced in chapter spoiler[13] and appear frequently in succeeding chapters. spoiler[The same is true for all the prefects.]
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but it stinks that my enthusiasm for Boarding School Juliet's central romance has to come at the expense of the happiness of the Tyrannical Princess of Cat Ears. Maybe the show will just get really daring and have Juliet decide to date them both?

Well, a guy can dream, anyway.

Sometimes I really think our good o' friend James has a scarily good intuition when comes to guessing plot points, without even touching the source materials

spoiler[Yes, that WILL HAPPEN but definitely not in this 12-episode season Cool As it happens much later in the manga]

Anyway, even they are not lovers, Char and Juliet are very close friends and shares a deeper bond many wouldn't expect from a romantic comedy.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Kochou and Teria are first introduced in chapter spoiler[13] and appear frequently in succeeding chapters. spoiler[The same is true for all the prefects.]

You're right , i forgot that the spoiler[festival chapter] was so early, i'm siding with you for chapter 18 then.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What he ends up discovering is a literal shrine of Juliet photos, leading us to a twist that wasn't hard to predict: Char isn't torturing Romio to get back at Juliet; she's doing it because she's been in love with Juliet for years, and she can't abide seeing Juliet together with Romio of all people. I'm of two minds on this reveal, because on the one hand, I appreciate Char being more than just a potential third prong for a contrived love triangle, and I loved how Romio was quick to empathize with Char's inability to express her true feelings to Juliet. On the other hand, I've never been a fan of this kind of token lesbian character, who must dutifully pine for her love from a distance without ever actualizing her desires anywhere. It's a tired trope, because no matter how Romio compares his love for Juliet with Char's, he's actually in a position to make that dream of romance a reality, whereas Char remains trapped in the purgatory of chaste longing that so many LGBTQ characters have been banished to over the years.

I do not understand all these concerns. It is pretty obvious that someday Char's feelings will be revealed. Even if she has no chance of a main girl, this is clearly not a comedic CGDCT with token lesbian.

Quote:
Maybe the show will just get really daring and have Juliet decide to date them both?

Um, what?

Engineering Nerd wrote:
Anyway, even they are not lovers, Char and Juliet are very close friends and shares a deeper bond many wouldn't expect from a romantic comedy.

Since when is a deep friendship between girls is something rare for a romantic comedy?
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
my personal favorite being how he “discovers” Char's hidden closet by mistaking her mirror for a window and diving headfirst into it like a very earnest but very stupid dog. It's just too fitting.

Quote:
I loved how Romio was quick to empathize with Char's inability to express her true feelings to Juliet.

Those were my favorite moments in that episode as well. Anime smile I love that it was Romeo's idiocy that not only manages to save him from being spotted by Char and getting expelled as a result, but discovering her weakness he could had use to blackmail her and getting himself out of this situation so he could enjoy his anniversary (which I find to be a bit too soon for one by the way but whatever) with Juliet. With that said I was also glad that Romeo took pity on Char. I felt sorry for her as well when she revealed her true feelings for Juliet all the while seeing how helpless she was. I think Romeo did the right thing.

Speaking of which I personally I did not see this revelation coming. It took me by surprise because while I do see that Char likes Juliet (though Char tugging at Juliet's hair a bit too tightly early in the episode was questionable to me at first because it came off as if she had some hidden resentment towards her), I did not suspect she like her in "that" way.

Overall while Char does come off as being domineering I think I have taken some liking to her. She certainly is beautiful for one thing, and I do like the cat ear like tiara she is wearing (a couple of times I was thinking she was wearing cat ears only to remind myself that it's a tiara, or a headband as that what I assume it was at first until after I read chapter 3's review). When the story show a glimpse as to who she is internally, I see she is not a bad person but someone who longs to be with the person she loves.

Morry wrote:

With three episodes through, I think I've nailed the pacing:

Ep 1: ch 1
Ep 2: ch 2-3
Ep 3: ch 4-5
Ep 4: ch 6-7
Ep 5: ch 8
Ep 6: ch 9-10
Ep 7: ch 11
Ep 8: ch 12
Ep 9: ch 13
Ep 10: ch 14
Ep 11: ch 15-16
Ep 12: ch 17-18

So how many volumes you think this anime would cover, Morry? I am guessing it would be around 3 or 4 volumes.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:

So how many volumes you think this anime would cover, Morry? I am guessing it would be around 3 or 4 volumes.

If my assessment is correct, it'll cover up through the first half of volume 4. The second half starts a new arc that bleeds into volume 5.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4