• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tsurune: Kazemai Kōkō Kyūdō-bu (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote

Tsurune: Kazemai Kōkō Kyūdō-bu (TV)

Genres: drama
Themes: archery, school

Plot Summary: Minato Narumiya is beginning his freshman year at the local Kazemai High School. Mr. Tommy, adviser to the Japanese archery Club, is keen to recruit Minato, as well as his childhood friends Seiya Takehaya and Ryohei Yamanouchi. Ryohei convinces the reluctant Minato to attend the Club's orientation, where he also meets Kaito Onogi and Nanao Kisaragi. Singling Minato out, Mr. Tommy introduces him as a rare Japanese archery talent and asks him to demonstrate in front of everyone. However, Minato's arrow fails to hit the mark because he is afflicted by a serious condition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

A bit surprised that this is coming out almost right after Free, actually a few weeks into the new season. I would think it is a little close to what they just finished, in fact a few characters feel all too similar. Its first episode did interest me a little, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Ending at a tournament, where the more balanced players managed to win, and a cocky character who had little empathy for smaller teams problems, did himself suffer from the target panic and cost his team. And it all wraps up in a nice little bow.

Honestly, I really did not care much about this show, and don't think very highly of it. Probably sounds unfair, and some people would even complain that it is not fitting, but it felt way too similar to Free, and this after Kyoto Animation just did the third season of it which was not that good. I like Kyoto Animation, but it kind of just feels like at this point I am getting sick of this sort of junky melodrama they are doing. I saw someone else say it, and it was saying that Kyoto Animation has been doing pretty awful Queerbating. which you could specifically place back to K-ON, but I would say that it has been at its worst in things like Free, Hibike Euphonium, and this. Maybe say Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, but that was pretty, but that was kind of open even if no actual homosexual stuff, it is better than the just in subtext that feels like it is teasing the audience. It is like they are afraid of actually doing anything.

What is with having female characters, but they feel so distant from the male characters. Their part taking into consideration of the end was them washing out of their parts, so they could just watch the boys from a distance. Felt like it was pretend giving them the same attention. Maybe having the boys become their slaves when the coach is showing tough love, but the girls can't be comfortable with it because that is how nice the female audience is meant to be. One of the last messages of the show was how their sport is meant to be teams and that is oh so important, but the girls did singles. I like that there was some diversity in genders, but their characters were about as good as female characters in Free being defined by loving muscle and loving some fat. They are not really a part of the story.

Maybe I will be noted as not really having a right to even criticise the show so much, because I probably tuned out quite a bit. I just could not handle all the melodrama of conflicting personalities, that the mean bad boy is actually sensitive, the pretty boy is so cute, and all that jazz. Sure the target panic thing was a little interesting, but it would be nice if that did not feel like the entirety of what the sport was about was on that. Target panic was even treated like something wholly unique to this sport, and not something like performance anxiety which really should be understood by other types of athletes. At the end of the day it failed to really make me care about what they were doing, and all the imagery of leaves when they fire and hit, or dead mothers, could manage to make me care. Maybe if family really did play a part, there were things like him refusing to play earlier because he wanted to look after his father, and it really does not seem to do anything later. Might his father be interested in the tournament?

It looks like I am just complaining, like this is the worst thing ever, but I don't think it was, it looked nice as you would expect from KyoAni. I was just so bored, and want it to pull me in with something. I think Free did better by really putting the audience into swimmer, where other things could almost cut out, and characters that felt more fun. I give Tsurune a rating of Not really good (4/10), it at least looks good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1