• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: SSSS.Gridman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
My friend and I were going through all of the references in SSSS.Gridman, and we found some INCREDIBLY deep cuts.

For example! Tonkawa is themed after Cy-Kill of the GoBots, which was the exclusively American variation of Machine Robo made by TONKA, which was bought and absorbed by TakaraTomy, the makers of Transformers. And in the Transformers fandom, there's a running gag that Cy-Kill, when he appears in media, is always killed in short order.

So! Tonkawa, who is Cy-Kill, was killed.

Her friend, Toiko, is also a reference to ToyCo, another now dead company.

Rikka's friends and the other classmates are named for other toy manufacturers, like Hassy (Hasbro), Namiko (Bandai Namco), Takara (the aforementioned TakaraTomy, itself a merger of Tomy and Takara), Doi Hako (Toy Box).

There are small designs on the assist weapons that map them directly to the Transformers: Age of Extinction dinobots, in addition to some design cues, and are ALSO themselves name references to the Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad assist vehicles and weapons.

The models on Akane's shelves are all Ultra kaiju and seijin.

The 7-11 knockoff is 7-21, a reference to Ultraseven 21....

The computer Utsumi keeps calling Junk was ACTUALLY called Junk in Gridman, and looks much like the original - and SPARKS like the original when he takes damage - but with a BUNCH of additions....

This show is a goddamn treasure trove of references, and half of them *never actually got to Japan*.
zero_chance

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:

Actually, many of the figurines on her shelves are references to Blizzards' Heroes of the Storm MOBA game. Especially in the close-up of the display cases and trash bags.

The most repeated creature in that shot, the one with the giant single eye is "Pajamathur", a "cute" baby version of Abathur from Starcraft II. Also appearing in a couple of different positions is Stitches, the HotS version of the Abomination zombie from Warcraft III/World of Warcraft. Zagara (Starcraft II) can also be seen quite clearly. Dehaka (HotS version of the Starcraft II character) also peeks into frame. Parts of the Butcherlisk (HotS Zerg-themed reskin of Diablo III's Butcher demon) are also seen in numerous iterations in the scene.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
zero_chance wrote:
Kendra Kirai wrote:

Actually, many of the figurines on her shelves are references to Blizzards' Heroes of the Storm MOBA game. Especially in the close-up of the display cases and trash bags.

The most repeated creature in that shot, the one with the giant single eye is "Pajamathur", a "cute" baby version of Abathur from Starcraft II. Also appearing in a couple of different positions is Stitches, the HotS version of the Abomination zombie from Warcraft III/World of Warcraft. Zagara (Starcraft II) can also be seen quite clearly. Dehaka (HotS version of the Starcraft II character) also peeks into frame. Parts of the Butcherlisk (HotS Zerg-themed reskin of Diablo III's Butcher demon) are also seen in numerous iterations in the scene.

Oh! Well okay then! A FEW of the figures on her shelves are Ultra Kaiju and Seijin :3 I only recognized a few of the Ultras, so I assumed~
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if it will turn out that SSSS Gridman takes place in a virtual world, in sort of a callback to the digital world of the original Gridman. That would explain how reality in SSSS Gridman can be so easily rewritten.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
That is an amazing level of detail, I love it.

From a purely action standpoint, this show is everything my young self ever wanted from a series during the 80s and never really got. I am also a sucker for that sweet theme song.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I've got no previous Gridman experience but i'm still enjoying this a lot so far. Calibur alone would be reason enough for me to keep watching, i love his character design, his demeanor and his badass sword form! Very Happy
omegafinal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Given that Borr's name is a reference to the drill vehicle in Superhuman Samurai, they had a missed opportunity to give her drill-style twintails. Heh.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
omegafinal wrote:
Given that Borr's name is a reference to the drill vehicle in Superhuman Samurai, they had a missed opportunity to give her drill-style twintails. Heh.

That's because she's based on Scorn from Age of Extinction

https://www.thechosenprime.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/aoe/scorn%201.jpg&maxx=600&maxy=0

Who has twin rows of spines down his back. Straight twin tails :3 (note the little mark on her lapel, which is the same as on the toys shoulders)
Cabron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
More Obari-isms and Brave Series references.
I'm glad they're reusing footage, keeping that tokusatsu/super robot tradition.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(my favorite is Borr, the tiny twin-tailed girl voiced by Aoi Yuuki)

...who wants to tell him?
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that more people haven't pointed out that Max's Assist Weapon form's name Battle Tracto Max is named after Tracto, the Sybersquad version of the original Gridman's God Tank and Max's main weapon in weapon form the Tanker Cannon is named after Tanker from SSSS. Does that mean that Borr's and Vit's weapon form's weapons are gonna be named after Sydney and Amp? Also, Borr is a guy(wheres General Ackbar when you need him).
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
I'm surprised that more people haven't pointed out that Max's Assist Weapon form's name Battle Tracto Max is named after Tracto, the Sybersquad version of the original Gridman's God Tank and Max's main weapon in weapon form the Tanker Cannon is named after Tanker from SSSS. Does that mean that Borr's and Vit's weapon form's weapons are gonna be named after Sydney and Amp? Also, Borr is a guy(wheres General Ackbar when you need him).

I did mention earlier that the support weapons and vehicles are named for the SSSS names :3
Cabron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:28 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Borr is a guy?
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Incidentally, for those keeping track, Anti's human form is based on Shattered Glass Rodimus.

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/37/r_rodimus065.jpg

While his monster form is

http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Shinobilar
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:01 am Reply with quote
Apparently Aoi Yuki, voice of Borr in the Japanese dub, said that Borr is male. However, Apphia Yu, voice of Borr in the English dub, said that Borr is instead female in the Funimation dub. More than anything, that discrepancy sounds planned.

Also, I seriously hate Akane. Which I suppose is appropriate, her being the villain and all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10