• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: SSSS.Gridman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
Cabron wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:
I'm surprised that more people haven't pointed out that Max's Assist Weapon form's name Battle Tracto Max is named after Tracto, the Sybersquad version of the original Gridman's God Tank and Max's main weapon in weapon form the Tanker Cannon is named after Tanker from SSSS. Does that mean that Borr's and Vit's weapon form's weapons are gonna be named after Sydney and Amp? Also, Borr is a guy(wheres General Ackbar when you need him).
Borr is a guy?

According to Aoi Yuki(who voices Borr)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:43 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Apparently Aoi Yuki, voice of Borr in the Japanese dub, said that Borr is male. However, Apphia Yu, voice of Borr in the English dub, said that Borr is instead female in the Funimation dub. More than anything, that discrepancy sounds planned.

Anime dazed

Well, that's a confuzzlement! Man, if it's really Trigger being all "wink wink, nudge nudge" on that, I honestly don't mind. Though I guess you could have someone in the show itself confirm it.

Quote:
Also, I seriously hate Akane. Which I suppose is appropriate, her being the villain and all

Her being the enemy is honestly so entertaining to watch. Considering she's so obviously being used, I am curious how she will react to her downfall and betrayal.
Generations

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:33 am Reply with quote
After my last comment, I realized I forgot what I actually wanted to say about the show.

1. I can't tell if it's a singularity-level coincidence or intentional, but SSSS Gridman might be in the same universe as Chu2byou. The main hero is named Yuuta and the main heroine is named Rikka in both shows. Maaya Uchida voiced Rikka in the Japanese dub for Chuuni and did the ED for Gridman, and Greg Ayres is voicing the hero's best friend in both shows for the English dub, both of which have the same personality! It's freaking weird.

2. I might be getting a little too observant, but there is an awful lot of feet play being shown.

2. I like Rikka so far. Her personality is hard to narrow down, it's unusual but also not cliche or easily put into one category. She's cold, but she's also not uncaring. It's hard to know what she's currently thinking, but it looks like something important happened before Yuuta lost his memory.

3. It seems the Internet likes her too, but now I have to file a formal complaint. Gridman hasn't exactly been mainstream before, but now that TRIGGER is involved in it, suddenly it's all over the place and got a lot of fanart/hentai/all of the drawings involving thighs/etc. Is this the power of TRIGGER? All my favourite relatively-underground series will never get this kind of artistic publicity. It's just not fair Anime cry
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:46 am Reply with quote
Anyone know who did that insert piece during the last battle in ep 3? It sounded like a Tom-H@ck song straight out of Ace of Diamond.

Also, why does Yuuta have cat ears? I'm half wondering if he's a construct like Anti or something. Speaking of that, poor Anti. Sad I hope someone will feed the poor child.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:36 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Apparently Aoi Yuki, voice of Borr in the Japanese dub, said that Borr is male. However, Apphia Yu, voice of Borr in the English dub, said that Borr is instead female in the Funimation dub. More than anything, that discrepancy sounds planned.

Also, I seriously hate Akane. Which I suppose is appropriate, her being the villain and all.

yea what's up with that!? its like their trying to create their male/female debate ala like with whether or not hange from attack on titan is male or female!!!

but considering that its the japanese VA that says borr is male, its more than a given will be the case since their more inline with studio trigger. however the real question is why they didn't even tell funi about that character's gender is that's the case? its definitely a bad look for them cause now it might make miss yu look like an invalid for saying that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
There's no problem that can't be solved by turning your computer on and off again. Or in this case, unplugging and replugging it back in.

Seriously, what the devil is Akane's deal? She's racking up a serious kill and be-a-douche count. If she wasn't showing her feet so much, she'd have zero redeeming qualities.

Of the three protagonists, Rikka feels the only one that's interesting so far. She has a personality that's really hard to describe that a one word term would be a disservice using (as it usually is). She can seem cold and aloof, but she's also nice and actually quite proactive, even when strangers are involved. She's willing to go through some hoops for her two besties, even if it's for things she doesn't particularly like, and even risk her life for people she barely knows. But at the same time, it feels like she actually has less words to say to the people that are closest and most common to her. And from her discussion with Akane and Yuuta both, probably a lot of past regrets.

I wish Yuuta and his bestie would get some interesting screentime and development soon, because at this point I'd honestly want to devote the focus to her than them. And not just because of all the fanart.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I'd much prefer Akane be the love interest. Not only is she more entertaining, it'd be a more interesting dynamic. (the whole "secret" enemies" bit) Plus, there's very clearly something broken about her, so having a protagonist who can indulge her worse sides on the battlefield while also healing her emotional wounds off just seems more fascinating and touching to me.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:54 am Reply with quote
Tsuburaya releases a sidestory Gridman audio drama on Youtube right after each episode, that serves as a sidestory of sorts.
Included is the link to the latest Ep 4.4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iEH5ZTcDsU&t=8s

4.4 takes place after the gang goes out for dinner. Rikka seeks advice from her mother on how to deal with the deaths of people you don’t know very well; she still feels guilty over not telling Yuuta about the 3 dead Youtubers he failed to save from the kaiju. Her mother says that's just how life is, people die all the time regardless of how well you know them.

Generations wrote:

Seriously, what the devil is Akane's deal? She's racking up a serious kill and be-a-douche count. If she wasn't showing her feet so much, she'd have zero redeeming qualities.

Villian pettiness was a mainstay of the original Gridman series, but amplified to a greater extent here.

In the original, villian Todo Takeshi was an introvert whose trivial anger at things that crossed him led him to create kaiju-shaped PC viruses at the behest of evil program Kahn Digifer, who sought to conquer the human world via the PC world. Khan would then bring the viruses to life and send them off to wreak havoc in various programming systems, which the MCs of that series had to defeat to restore the computerverse.

Of course, what Akane's doing here adds a level of psychopathy to her actions in SSSS. Additionally it brings up the mystery of what's going on in the universe, since the world rewrites itself to repair all destruction while erasing the deaths to make it seem like the deceased never existed.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
Honestly, it’s what makes Akane creepier than Takeshi or Malcolm. You could pick those guys out of a lineup and go “Yeah, they’ve got issues.” Akane on the other hand is a sociopath with no clear tells and a rather gleeful enjoyment of death. I mean Malcolm just wanted to screw over the kid from Boy Meets World and steal his girlfriend, even if it meant hijacking a police computer to make everyone think he was a terrorist.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:26 am Reply with quote
Having watched this episode finally, my friend and I present the episode 4 references! (incredibly Partial List!)

Most importantly is the VERY layered existence of the four youtbers, who are all named after former toy companies that died, and are styled and coloured after various Jetfires in the Transformers franchise.

BUT ON TOP OF THAT! They are all named after companies that made models or figures of the Macross VF-1S, which is what infamously became the toy of the original Jetfire from Transformers!

And the one that survived, Yamato, is named for a company that died, but, so far as I'm aware, soon returned as another company!

Arii Toys
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bhc1fmjltb4
Yamato
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b--cpAMNfp8
Imai
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GuH9KJwFlLU
Takatoku/Takato
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_rdxjVYgSYI

https://i.imgur.com/KjNCtyh.jpg
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
My friend and I were going through all of the references in SSSS.Gridman, and we found some INCREDIBLY deep cuts.

For example! Tonkawa is themed after Cy-Kill of the GoBots, which was the exclusively American variation of Machine Robo made by TONKA, which was bought and absorbed by TakaraTomy, the makers of Transformers. And in the Transformers fandom, there's a running gag that Cy-Kill, when he appears in media, is always killed in short order.

Love it, lol.
Great post, that was a fun read to see some of the ones I definitely didn't think about. Smile

Generations wrote:
Of the three protagonists, Rikka feels the only one that's interesting so far. She has a personality that's really hard to describe that a one word term would be a disservice using (as it usually is). She can seem cold and aloof, but she's also nice and actually quite proactive, even when strangers are involved. She's willing to go through some hoops for her two besties, even if it's for things she doesn't particularly like, and even risk her life for people she barely knows. But at the same time, it feels like she actually has less words to say to the people that are closest and most common to her. And from her discussion with Akane and Yuuta both, probably a lot of past regrets.

I wish Yuuta and his bestie would get some interesting screentime and development soon, because at this point I'd honestly want to devote the focus to her than them. And not just because of all the fanart.

Yeah, I'm really liking her character. Jill Harris is also bringing a lot to her as well.
They're not bad, but yeah they could use some more examination. I don't know if Yuta will get it but maybe Shou will with like a focus episode.

Merida wrote:
I've got no previous Gridman experience but i'm still enjoying this a lot so far. Calibur alone would be reason enough for me to keep watching, i love his character design, his demeanor and his badass sword form! Very Happy

Right?! Very Happy
Also, I was just thinking about this re-watching ep 2, his design and hairstyle kind of reminds me of Keith from the current Voltron but like if he let himself go a bit when slightly older like forgetting to shave and with his hair a little more messy lol. Their face and hairstyle look pretty similar to me. Might be intentional since he's the sword too lol.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
1. I can't tell if it's a singularity-level coincidence or intentional, but SSSS Gridman might be in the same universe as Chu2byou. The main hero is named Yuuta and the main heroine is named Rikka in both shows. Maaya Uchida voiced Rikka in the Japanese dub for Chuuni and did the ED for Gridman, and Greg Ayres is voicing the hero's best friend in both shows for the English dub, both of which have the same personality! It's freaking weird.

Haha.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I'm really liking this show so far, brings back memories of watching the american SSSS when I was a kid. The dub is also very strong. It's nice to hear Greg Ayers in something after what feels like forever and Jill Harris is quickly becoming one of my favorites among Funi's newer talents.

Hopefully this show will move along smoothly and wash the taste of Franxx out of everyone's mouth.

Totally agree.

Oh yeah, Jill Harris is growing on me fast, her performance right in the first ep of this definitely made me look her up again and realize how much I've been starting to enjoy hearing her recently. Even get a kick out of her Noelle every week on Black Clover since I'm now watching it on Toonami, even if the show itself is very by the book. She makes her familiar character a fun listen.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I liked everything Gainax made with the exception of Guren Lagan, so I really haven't liked anything Trigger did until recently when they started teaming up with other studios. I like that output a lot. I think Trigger will always be in left field if you leave them to their own devices but I think partnering adds the perfect amount of restraint. At least for my tastes.

Anyways, good show so far. Its silly and light but I think there's going to be some good teen drama/tension at some point. I just hope it doesn't devolve into Franxx/Ano Hana where everyone is on screen exploding into gallons of tears on the regular.

Only thing I dislike is that I think the integration of CG and more traditional animation could be better. I believe Trigger did the action sequences of Black Rock Shooter and imo that's still a high mark for blending the two.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
The doppelganger of Akko Kagari ( LWA ) briefly appeared multiple times in the latest episode, maybe we can expect another Trigger original character like Zero Two or Ryuuko to show up in futur episode.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:31 am Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
The doppelganger of Akko Kagari ( LWA ) briefly appeared multiple times in the latest episode, maybe we can expect another Trigger original character like Zero Two or Ryuuko to show up in futur episode.

She's actually a deliberate classmate, so expect to see her more often. She's even in the class picture in the opening!

Not much in the way of references this episode, except that the vans from the rafting place are G1 Ironhides!

And my friend is certain that Yuta's lifejacket is a reference, but aside from vague hunches, I can't pin anything down at the moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10