• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Golden Wind the Best or Worst Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Yet?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll confess: slightly disappointed neither of them brought up Freek'n You when talking about how this is the horniest JoJo season. I mean, it's in the damn lyrics!
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
When I was reading through the Jojo manga, Part 5 was my least favorite because i wasn't a fan of the more slender frames everyone had (give me my beefy shonen heroes!), Giorno's personality didn't stick out at all to me compared to the other cast members, and i took issue with a few of the plot details (spoiler[Giorno being DIO's son seems inconsequential to anything about his character or the plot, to the point i wonder why Araki made it a plot point at all]).

However, in retrospect, a lot of that may have been flavored by the low quality scans and translations I read. Already in the anime, Giorno seems a lot more appealing than i remember, probably due to the voice performance and higher quality subtitles. And besides, even if i consider it my least favorite part, I remember a lot of stuff i liked about it, so i'm fully on board for this season. it's had quite the promising start.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Best or worst... That seems a bit extreme one way or another.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Given Golden Wind's powers, I want to believe that Araki finally realized it's time to let the animals do the murdering.

The squirrel that Kars created out of his hand in Battle Tendency?
Forever and Pet Shop in Stardust Crusaders?
Stray Cat in Diamond Is Unbreakable (although it didn’t actually get to kill anyone)?
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
The thing is Part 5 starts out extremely promising, it just doesn't stay that way. At least Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable tell you early on what exactly you are going to get from them. Golden Wind, well...
wonderdandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
When I was reading through the Jojo manga, Part 5 was my least favorite because i wasn't a fan of the more slender frames everyone had (give me my beefy shonen heroes!), Giorno's personality didn't stick out at all to me compared to the other cast members, and i took issue with a few of the plot details (spoiler[Giorno being DIO's son seems inconsequential to anything about his character or the plot, to the point i wonder why Araki made it a plot point at all]).

Giorno being Dio's son is absolutely there for character building. He has Dio's charisma, his serene attitude, his ambition and his flair. However, at his core he's more like Jonathan.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Golden Wind is the best arc by any means, but I think the lack of a quality translation of it until now is a big part of why so many fans don't care for it. Even as someone who liked Golden Wind, I'm surprised by how much more I'm enjoying it with a good translation. (and of course the animation, music and voices help Razz)
rivnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
im only two eps in and several chapters ahead in the colorised manga scans.... so the most notable things are the visuals, audio and flair. Do also "feel" like some plot things were moved around to help the flow of story but that's just the way i remember it.

will prolly avoid the manga for a bit and stay fresh for the anime.. having the plot unfold with moving images and a dope ass score seems win-win
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
The thing is Part 5 starts out extremely promising, it just doesn't stay that way. At least Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable tell you early on what exactly you are going to get from them. Golden Wind, well...

Diamond Is Unbreakable starts out with a mystery involving people (and inanimate objects) granted stand powers by a bow and arrow and still has Josuke and others contending with these same shenanigans even after that gets resolved before another mystery centered around a guy murdering women and collecting their severed hands crops up after that .
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I think one of the reasons why Part V is not a fan favorite outside of Japan is due to the quality of translations fans got at the time. Re-reading it now that someone did a better translation of the material, let's just say I really enjoyed it more compared to the first time I read it.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I often hear people saying Part 5 is the best part, but you really can't answer such a question 3 episodes in, so I'll wait on that... though I'm already almost 100% sure it's going to be better than Stardust Crusader, which isn't really hard.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:36 am Reply with quote
It looks like you fixed the coding on the page so that all the text remains properly in the boxes no matter how much I have to zoom it. Thanks!!

(I see that it's been fixed since 9/27, but I got so used to just automatically reformatting the page so I could read it that I only just noticed today.)
Generations

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:44 am Reply with quote
If I had to rank the JoJo parts, I'd have to say:
4>7>6>5>1>3>2

While I rated Part 2 the lowest, it does have one of the best of the JoJo mains. It's just that I found the adventure, the character development, and the villains to be lacking in comparison to other parts.

*Vento Aureo* is great. It starts out great, the designs are maximum Araki, and each adventure involving Stand powers are all interesting, as expected, fantastically bizarre. However, I'd say it has the worst and most confusing final confrontation in the series. spoiler[Characters died unceremoniously, at random parts with no reason, and Polnareff's cameo didn't really make that much of an impact. Of all the time/space-based Stand final bosses, King Crimson is definitely the most needlessly complicated.]

Giorno himself isn't that interesting either. spoiler[His relation to Dio affects absolutely nothing in the plot aside from him having blonde hair, being related to the Joestars in some way, and saying 'Muda' as a catchphrase. It never comes up again whatsoever.] Also, all the scenes that show his personality in the first episode (like stealing the money and sharing ice cream with the kid)? That was all anime-only. I'm glad, because I definitely thought he was one of the most boring JoJo's.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
Don't be dissing my boy Polpo like that.

But seriously, I am really enjoying Part 5 so far. Great protagonist, cool side characters (so far), great sound design/score (as always) and it's visually unlike anything else this season (or this year, for that matter). I'll be eagerly anticipating more.
space.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Part 5 is absolutely the best. I've been saying it for years.

There's just nothing else in JoJo this well put-together and concentrated by Araki. Golden Wind kicks Part 7's slow pace right to the curb.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2