• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Report a Problem" thing

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Today I've been seeing something hovering in the bottom right corner on all ANN pages saying "Report a Problem". When I click on it, the choices given seem to be about reporting problems with ads. However, I have all ads turned off in the subscriber options. My though is that I'm not supposed to be seeing the option to report a problem if I'm not seeing ads, or at least none of the choices seem relevant if I'm not seeing ads.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Haha, that's a good point!

But... we're going to be adding other sorts of problems (slow server, typos, html, etc...) shortly, so it will be useful to everyone in the future. Not much point in removing it temporarily for people who have no ads displaying.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
Would it be possible to relegate this to an option under the little widget marker at the upper right instead of the big intrusive opaque block in the lower corner of every window? (It's probably a bit bigger for me since I have to zoom text to read anything) Or else a separate button below or beside the preferences button with pop-up tool-tip text to explain its function?

And you say this is for typos too? <perks> Would that fall under "other" then, or will you be adding that specifically? Smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
I find it annoying so I block it in Firefox using uBlock Origin.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
It is interesting that others see it as a problem. On my computer monitor it takes up less than 1% of the screen. I didn't notice it was there until I saw this thread.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, it used to only show up on error message screens (which rendered it unusable), but now it's in my face all the time. As I noted, I have to have the text enlarged or the whole screen zoomed to read anything, so that gets enlarged too. At my normal settings it takes up about 60 x 245 pixels on my screen. That's like 2.5 short avatars lined up! ;D
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And you say this is for typos too? <perks> Would that fall under "other" then, or will you be adding that specifically? Smile

Right now it's only for ads. But we'll add typos and other stuff in the relatively near future (in the next couple of months). There's nothing stopping you from using "other" to report an article error, but right now the editors don't see the error reports, so it would actually take longer for the report to get to them than say, if you e-mailed them.

But e-mail is a hassle, using this for all site errors, including articles, is the plan.

Quote:

PostPosted: 2018-10-27T03:03:29+00:00 Post subject:
Would it be possible to relegate this to an option under the little widget marker at the upper right instead of the big intrusive opaque block in the lower corner of every window?

yuna49 wrote:

I find it annoying so I block it in Firefox using uBlock Origin.

Having the option to disable this (move it to a menu) is a good idea. I'll have that done. It will be on by default, but disabling it will move it to the My ANN menu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1