• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bloom Into You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
Bloom into You is a terrific yuri and definitely one of my most favorite manga/anime currently. I'm also very in love with the animation aspect and the brilliant soundtrack, which sets me up in tears upon listening to them in the anime, with the accompanying scenes being very suitable to the tunes, plus letting me feel just how the characters might've gone through.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Ah, Maki. I like him. I do think he comes off as more of a voyeur in the anime, though he’s clearly harmless and on Yuu’s side. The explanation of his asexuality is well done and I loved the visual motif of the butterflies flying into the theater and on to the screen. Really nice touch. His insight into Yuu comes from his experiences and he sees her a lot more clearly than she does right now.

That’s another thing about this series - spots where it could clearly shoot for the moon in terms of high drama beyond Yuu and Nanami? Pretty much all avoided. This story is about two people falling in love and staples such as the evil ex or vindictive best friend or what have you just get skipped over in favour of the love story. It’s very refreshing.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
"with the positions of their bodies making it look like a potential hug—it didn't feel quite as momentous as it could have."

"potential hug"? Are you kidding?
Personally I think that it was adequate. It's just a kiss, we just need to see that Yuu agreed with a kiss. A more graphical look is better be reserved for another time, for when maybe Yuu will start to correspond "physically", showing desire for Touko.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, Maki is a rather interesting addition especially considering he's a closest equivalent to a yuri fanboy which is pretty dang rare to see.

VerQuality wrote:
I'm kind of disappointed no one's mentioned the music of the anime so far. The story has been adapted in a pretty straightforward way so far, but the music (and the richness of the colours, too) has been superb at setting the atmosphere so far. Michiru Oshima is a terrific composer.

Thankfully, this week's episode mentioned about the music which is setting the mood oh so well! Cool
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 4, and the corresponding manga chapters it covered, is the point where I really started to "figure out" Yuu, at least in terms of how to "label" her sexuality.

The fact that she stated, clearly, that she enjoyed kissing her and would be lying if she said she wasn't curious suggests that the initial "asexual" idea may be a bit off. Indeed, looking back on the previous sections of the story, it's also clear that she has a very healthy appreciation for Touko's beauty. Enough so that her mother noted that she was just as beautiful as she had told her when she came by her house. Then when Touko leaned in to kiss her, Yuu noticed her long eyelashes, which is a standard "WOW! She's so pretty!" line.

So it seems that these subtle cues are suggesting that Yuu is NOT asexual, but has a relatively normal attraction... to girls, but normal none-the-less.

What seems to be different, at least in Yuu's opinion and, most likely IS slightly on the rare end of the spectrum, is Yuu's lack of ROMANTIC attraction. However, in this episode, as well as the previous one where she was overly accommodating before and during her campaign speech, there are clear indications that she is NOT aromantic, as pointed out by Maki, despite Yuu's insistence that what she is doing for Touko is "normal", what anyone would do in the same situation, not any indication that she has any special feelings for the girl at all... just common courtesy, etc... What it suggests to me is that Yuu is demi-romantic. For those who aren't aware of the term, demi, when used as a prefix for either "romantic" or "sexual", is a term for someone who does not develop romantic or sexual attraction for someone until they have a strong bond with them. So a demi-sexual person would not find someone sexually attractive until they get to know them well, frequently until they form a romantic bond, but not always. A demi-romantic would not EVER experience that rush of "love at first sight" attraction that Yuu seems to think is so important. She would need to get to know the person, become friends with them, etc... and gradually, like a flower blooming from a bud to a full blossom, those feelings could grow into romantic feelings. (Of course, she had that opportunity with her friend in middle school as well, but there was one key aspect missing there... she seems to prefer women...)
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
People were thinking too much with big words.
Yuu just didn't fell in love at first sight (as usually happens), just that.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
^ What's wrong with that? Part of the fun in enjoying literature be it manga or anime is discussing the underlying meaning behind the story (particularly it's structure and theme(s)) and and characters with their motivations. At least that is what I like about it and why I want to participate in these discussions. Besides from what I have been reading on this thread as well as some of the reviews beforehand were some good, well thought out opinions. I can see that there is going to be some good conversations about this story to come throughout this season. Anime smile Speaking of which:

pharmboy23 wrote:
The fact that there’s this much to discuss about the series and the variety of interpretations it allows for is a testament to its quality.

I couldn't agree more. For me reading how others are interpreting this story is reminiscent of how people interpret classic literature (except in this case people actually care about the story they are talking about when compare to students doing the same in their English/Literature classes). Just more something to admire about this story and the way it was conceived. Anime smile

pharmboy23 wrote:

The consent stuff hits the nadir in the third volume of the manga, in an awkward but knowingly awkward scene, but conversely that volume actually has the first moment where I really felt that Yuu’s coming into her own feelings and figuring out what she wants and there’s some romantic vibes going on. Nanami’s pushiness is almost certainly a character flaw borne of the circumstances she’s in and she has a reason (not an excuse) for wanting this so hard.

Yuu herself takes more and more agency as the series goes on. By volume 5 she is clearly on a whole other level than where she started from in terms of herself and the relationship, slow as it may be moving. She’s really one of my favorite manga characters.

Atarakay wrote:
So if you come in with the expectation that this will be a straightforward and pure adolescent yuri love story you might not get it here... Think of it more as a coming of age experience where two people help each other navigate their restrictive perceptions about love and identity.

Reading your two comments makes me want to read the manga more so then I did before, especially with what you said pharmboy. I am curious to see how this story develops with Yuu and Nanami relationship. Also concerning like Yuu, I am taking a liking to her as well. Besides being attractively cute I feel their are parts of her that I resonate with. It's like we are on the same wavelength or something in a way. Plus I like when she gets serious or stern towards Touko and Koito.

zensunni wrote:
What it suggests to me is that Yuu is demi-romantic. For those who aren't aware of the term, demi, when used as a prefix for either "romantic" or "sexual", is a term for someone who does not develop romantic or sexual attraction for someone until they have a strong bond with them. So a demi-sexual person would not find someone sexually attractive until they get to know them well, frequently until they form a romantic bond, but not always. A demi-romantic would not EVER experience that rush of "love at first sight" attraction that Yuu seems to think is so important. She would need to get to know the person, become friends with them, etc... and gradually, like a flower blooming from a bud to a full blossom, those feelings could grow into romantic feelings. (Of course, she had that opportunity with her friend in middle school as well, but there was one key aspect missing there... she seems to prefer women...)

That is so fascinating! Surprised I have never heard of this term, and I like what it's about. After all it's consider best for potential couples to not rush relationship and instead to take the time to get to know each other moving forward. For this reason I can see this working towards one favor.

. . . . .

I am linking the review for this anime so far it it feels like I am reading a different perspective that fits with the nature of this story. Especially with this line which mention Yuu is "blooming into" Touko. I do get the concern you have with Touko rushing things though. Watching Touko behavior towards Yuu in those cases in which she either does not take a hint or disregard what Yuu tells her is reminiscent of what I have read about on a dating website I frequent. The only difference being that from what I read this is common behavior with men towards women, but in this story I am seeing a women do it. Either way I agree Touko does need to slow it down some.

Other then that I am enjoying the anime so far and I am loving how the visuals look with it's pastel colors. The music is real good as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
^ What's wrong with that? Part of the fun in enjoying literature be it manga or anime is discussing the underlying meaning behind the story (particularly it's structure and theme(s)) and and characters with their motivations. At least that is what I like about it and why I want to participate in these discussions. Besides from what I have been reading on this thread as well as some of the reviews beforehand were some good, well thought out opinions. I can see that there is going to be some good conversations about this story to come throughout this season. Anime smile

Some people seem to watch everything with tweezers these days searching for predetermined contents and interpretations.
Yeah, you can interpret and projetc everything in certain ways, but interpretation is not necessary what it is, which may lead the work to be criticized and blamed for stuff you made up.

Moving on.

Aquasakura wrote:

zensunni wrote:
What it suggests to me is that Yuu is demi-romantic. For those who aren't aware of the term, demi, when used as a prefix for either "romantic" or "sexual", is a term for someone who does not develop romantic or sexual attraction for someone until they have a strong bond with them. So a demi-sexual person would not find someone sexually attractive until they get to know them well, frequently until they form a romantic bond, but not always. A demi-romantic would not EVER experience that rush of "love at first sight" attraction that Yuu seems to think is so important. She would need to get to know the person, become friends with them, etc... and gradually, like a flower blooming from a bud to a full blossom, those feelings could grow into romantic feelings. (Of course, she had that opportunity with her friend in middle school as well, but there was one key aspect missing there... she seems to prefer women...)

That is so fascinating! Surprised I have never heard of this term, and I like what it's about. After all it's consider best for potential couples to not rush relationship and instead to take the time to get to know each other moving forward. For this reason I can see this working towards one favor.

I don't think Yuu is demi-romantic, because after all, she does take advantage of the situation do to "stuff" with Touko. Touko's insistence isn't the only explanation for Yuu to go along and let herself be kissed. Yuu recognizes Touko's attractiveness, seems to indicate to have some interest in sexual interactions, so no, doesn't look like this demi-romantic thing to me.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

I think that's the more reasonable interpretation (with Touko being just a case of love at first sight), the problem is that's clearly not what the story is trying to do with the long Yuu monologue where she lyrically wax about love story and yadayadya.

I think it would be far more interesting if the show went in that direction, with maybe an interesting story being Yuu progressively falling in love with Touko as she find out she like her personality while Touko progressively falling out of love with Yuu has she realized her infatuation was purely physical and she just doesn't like Yuu on a personal level that much.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Quote:
What's wrong with that? Part of the fun in enjoying literature be it manga or anime is discussing the underlying meaning behind the story (particularly it's structure and theme(s)) and and characters with their motivations.

Nothing as long as it only involves conversation. However, we have had people in the past get so emotionally involved in their own theory that they get a bit hateful to people who do not agree with them. They also tend to act betrayed if the later episodes of a show go in a different direction.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:

I think that's the more reasonable interpretation (with Touko being just a case of love at first sight), the problem is that's clearly not what the story is trying to do with the long Yuu monologue where she lyrically wax about love story and yadayadya.

How so?
She doesn't love Touko.
She likes Touko.
With time and more contact she starts to love Touko.
A simple love story, nothing so extraordinary.
For the more that all this high talk may be interesting personally I think people are seeing too much here (Bloom Into You being good being partly to blame).

meiam wrote:

I think it would be far more interesting if the show went in that direction, with maybe an interesting story being Yuu progressively falling in love with Touko as she find out she like her personality while Touko progressively falling out of love with Yuu has she realized her infatuation was purely physical and she just doesn't like Yuu on a personal level that much.

Maybe something like that, but for different reasons?
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
meiam wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:

How so?
She doesn't love Touko.
She likes Touko.
With time and more contact she starts to love Touko.
A simple love story, nothing so extraordinary.
For the more that all this high talk may be interesting personally I think people are seeing too much here (Bloom Into You being good being partly to blame).

I mean if it's not, then what's the point of the really long Yuu monologue, cause there taking a lot of time and there not interesting by themselves...
otagirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:52 am Reply with quote
Contrary to the reviewer I think Yuu has plenty of personality already. She's just not a caricature with a few in-your-face traits like most main characters.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:45 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I mean if it's not, then what's the point of the really long Yuu monologue, cause there taking a lot of time and there not interesting by themselves...

Monologue is just monologue.
Like I said, because of Touko insistence and her desire to love someone she is thinking about how she can make her fall in love with Touko.
"I don't love her, but I want, how I change that?"
It's pretty explicit.
Yeah, "the subtext", but like I said, I disagree.

otagirl wrote:
Contrary to the reviewer I think Yuu has plenty of personality already. She's just not a caricature with a few in-your-face traits like most main characters.

Yeah, Yuu's "manliness" is the best part.
Sometimes the reviewers are bipolar.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Amusingly this was one of my favorite episodes of the series thus far, quite unlike the reviewer’s take. The POV of Yuu as a bookseller is fun and I would take that side of her as a whole separate series (or I can just start watching that other series on now).

Touko’s interactions at Yuu’s home are all really cute - her persona outside of school shows just how much she lets her real self show around Yuu. And, of course, the triumphant return of Yuu’s sister! One minor cut from the manga is after Touko receives the pic of Yuu sleeping (there’s a pretty good chance that Yuu’s sister is starting to have an inkling of what’s going on) - the last scene cuts before Touko wonders if she could get away with using that as her phone’s wallpaper.

This show is slow, but I do not mean that in a bad way. It’s paced just perfect for what it is, far as I’m concerned. I love the characters too; I don’t think Yuu has no personality, far from it, but to each their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8