• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying the show, I have no problems with the production work until now. It is really a pleasure to know that we will have Jojo's for a good part of a year. I'm not a fan of the ending song but it does not bother me either.
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the mafia angle will continue to be what makes Golden Wind most entertaining.

Don't expect too much on the mafia angle.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
How the cast is used.

Calling out Golden Wind for how it uses it's cast is to ignore how Araki misused the cast of Phantom Blood, Battle Tendency, Stardust Crusaders,Diamond Is Unbreakable, & Stone Ocean.

Zeino wrote:
How lackluster the main villain turns out be compared to Dio, The Pillar Men, Kira and the main antagonists of Part 6 and 7

None of the villains in JoJo that precede Golden Wind's main antagonist were that good, Kira being easily the worst of them all, between his absurd motivations and the fact he doesn't show up til the first half of part 4's storyline is resolved. Which is part of the reason they added in those extra scenes in the anime that hint at Kira's appearance.

Zeino wrote:
How the final battle ends and tends to sour the ending for people.

They should meet the people who hate how Jotaro beat DIO in part 3.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:
like both villain and protagonist are underdeveloped,

Wouldn't be the first time we had this in a JoJo saga.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:

If this entry is going to be yet another 1:1 adaptation for the sake of pleasing the fans, then I´m out of this series. If I want Part 5 as it is in the manga, then I´m just gonna read that

I'm confused you mention in your opening statement that you've been listening to fan opinions about the quality of part 5 which would suggest you've not read the manga version of it. So why bother making that last point if you already don't know how anything plays out in either version of the story?

Also some of the other arcs were not 1:1 adaptations as they cut out some things

Like the ritual sacrifice that opened up Phantom Blood and detailed the history of the stone mask or Danny leaping out of the furnace while on fire (which for whatever reason the anime cut out). And some other aspects from DIU.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:
(I mean, crazy and weird for crazy and weird´s sake),

.....This is staple of JoJo though, the series which features characters named after famous musicians. And Vampires that suck blood through their fingers while being able to shoot eye beams.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:

and a comic-book inspired shading that looks more like if they did that because they wanted to maintain the highly detailed desings from the manga instead of simplifying the designs.

If they simplified the designs wouldn't that actually be an issue instead of good thing?

SkerllyFC07 wrote:
In the ED, the visuals are a super lazy scrolling image with the characters and their stands

So basically you didn't like Roundabout, Walk Like An Egyption, Last Train Home, or I Want You, either as they also consisted almost entirely of scrolling images of the characters and such?

SkerllyFC07 wrote:

and even for a series set in the 2000´s, an R&B song isn´t a good choice for the end theme.

Part 1 was set in the late 1800's, whereas part 2 was set in the 1930's and both used a song from 1971 as their ending theme. Also when you bother to remember what the main cast of Golden Wind looks like using an R&B song for the ending is super apropos.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:
most fans overlook the flaws present so far because this is gonna be yet another 1;1 adaptation

or or or they just don't care about it as much as you do.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:

and they want just that, but I want something better and so far this is not looking like 'better'. Now, if you´re willing to tell me what good stuff can I expect of this new entry, ou can tell me and I´ll consider my opinion.

You opinion though is already dubious though between the fact you're using other people's opinions to make your own conclusions along with throwing up some questionable points "All the adaptations have been 1:1"
Thaumana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Didn't read the manga but enjoyed the thrill so far. Also the new setting is interesting enough.

Actually, from what I read, there are a lot of errors which the anime staff has corrected over the past seasons. Like the varying body sizes of some people who turned suddenly smaller or bigger after dozens of manga chapters without any explanation. Araki himself stated that his story arcs and drawings aren't free from mistakes but he doesn't want to change them in the tankoubon since it's his principle to live and to learn from his mistakes.

I am not someone whose joy gets killed so easily by other people's impression in advance especially when there is still enough story groundwork to present.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:12 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering why Giorno didn't just keep the lighter in flower form, since that seems to not have triggered anything bad, and it would keep the flame from going out. Is there a time limit on his transformations?

And while his sweating outside while Koichi searched his room was fun, I don't understand why he didn't just go in and confront him, give him his passport and send him on his way. It's not like hiding from him will keep Koichi from knowing where he lives now. I don't see the downside to facing him.

Still can't get used to seeing Koichi drawn in this art-style.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Still can't get used to seeing Koichi drawn in this art-style.

If you've seen what Koichi looks like in the Rohan one-shot/special you'll get used to it real fast.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
This isn't entirely about the episode but I wonder if Black Sabbath really owns the trademark for its name, other than for music purposes, since it was originally inspired by the english title of a Mario Bava film. There are several artists and bands, whose names are inspired or taken directly from movies (Duran Duran), song titles or album titles (Masters of Reality) or lyrics (Judas Priest) and they seem to do just fine, so I don't see why Jojo should be any different.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Part Five has a black sheep reputation with English-speaking fans

I've only ever noticed that when the series was stuck with a poor translation, which is no longer the case.The fandom has had quite the turnaround with regards to part 5.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
The Black Sabbath fight is not only one of the very best Stand fights in Golden Wind, It's also proof that Araki does understand English song lyrics to a fairly great extent as has often been denied: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjGGgXPy-oI

gedata wrote:
Quote:
Part Five has a black sheep reputation with English-speaking fans

I've only ever noticed that when the series was stuck with a poor translation, which is no longer the case.The fandom has had quite the turnaround with regards to part 5.

It's still very rarely seen placed in the the top three JoJo arcs (at least over here, Japan is a different story) whenever ranking lists pop up. At best, it still only ranked higher than Phantom Blood.

Last edited by Zeino on Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Worse jojo review ever; what happened to saying te real name of the stand to make fun of the dub one ?
no other complaints otherwise.
YuudiHoshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm wondering why Giorno didn't just keep the lighter in flower form, since that seems to not have triggered anything bad, and it would keep the flame from going out.

GioGio hid the flame inside the petals. You could see them start to smoke just before he reverts the lighter's transformation
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Just so the reviews can stop mentioning how fans see Part 5, it doesn't start bad. I'd say most people would agree the beginning and the journey itself is quite a glorious, bizarre, and entertaining one. It's just that... that ending is sooooooo baaaaaad. But until then, it's a great trip. And the adaptation focusing on Giorno's dream already makes him infinitely more interesting than the blandness that he was in the manga.

Also, really glad they didn't waste a cool name like 'Black Sabbath' on a lame Stand, because Black Sabbath is one of my favourite designs. Unlike others I could mention *coughcoughBohemianRhapsodycoughcough*
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I dunno if the reviewer was having a rough day when this episode came out, or was hung over from a sick party and Jojo was evidently NOT the medicine he needed, but man this review was a weird one to read. The "frustrated" descriptions ("garishly designed", "garbled mess" etcetc) used being the biggest take away for me haha. They do a good job of conveying the reviewers feelings I'll say that much.

Having not read the manga at all, and only knowing this crew from the promo trailers and opening sequence (and maybe a friend talking about a gimmick they have), I thought the episode immediately managed to make them all entertaining and colourful to watch, and leave us with enough to look forward too from them in the future. It's not like the show dumped all 4 of their backstories and stand abilities on us in a 10 minute frenzy or anything like this review almost reads like it did.

But hey w/e, just because I can dig it doesn't mean everyone else can. Shout out to the music crew this season because they are killing it, that piano coming in for the leadup to Abbacchio's stand reveal was some amazing stuff.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Three of out of four members of Team Bucciarati will really grow on you in time and the fourth... Well, spoilers.

Last edited by Zeino on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
I've not read the manga and have been enjoying the anime thus far. No real complaints on my part.

Quote:
I do immediately recognize My Hero Academia's Izuku and Aizawa in the voice cast.

I thought it was curious that Suwabe got another role in JoJo since he was one of the baddies in Stardust Crusaders.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14