• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Planet With

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
Honestly the first episode left me feeling WTF!, but I stuck with it and I'm really glad I did coz it turned out to be something really special. A perfect combination of great characters (Sensei, Generalissimo especially) story and action imo.

It was the sort of series that always left you wanting more after each episode but never left you feeling disappointed. There were quite a few climactic battles where the show could have easily ended yet they effortlessly kept it going.

Also I thought the CG was fine.

So many good feels with this one and a real hidden gem of the Season.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
The CG was especially disappointing because Mizakumi's idea to give the mechs a terracotta aesthetic and texture was very unique and attractive.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
The CG looks better than Stellvia, which I thought was fine. It looks better than MS Igloo, which I thought was fine. Over the past couple of years, though, I've seen multiple people say that both of those shows look terrible, so I guess I continue to be completely out of touch with what the anime community considers "bad CG".

I suspect, however, that part of the reason people think it looks bad is that they don't like how the SD-ish mecha designs move. The thing is, SD designs aren't supposed to give off a "badass" feel, they're supposed to give off a "goofy" feel. To that extent, I think they pulled off the exact aesthetic that they were going for here, and I'd take this over Knights of Sidonia any day of the week.

Other than that, the show was great. Maybe my top show of the year. I'm on my second rewatch, and it seems like it gets better every time.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a little tough to describe an overall Mizukami narrative, both because they spiral in such unexpected strange directions, and also because he so often crosses true drama with laugh-out-loud farce.

Is this what makes Mizukami Satoshi's manga so unappealing/difficult to be turned into anime?

There was this anime blogger and self-avowed Mizukami fan who claimed Mizukami works don't get anime because they're not as commercially straightforward as most bestselling popcorn anime, and because they require the audience to really tune into what he's talking about.

Quote:
...he demands way too much of the audience to succeed in modern anime...he’s not going to explain things to you. He’s going to make you...figure them out for yourself, if you’re so inclined. He’s going to make you groan with cheesy humor. He’s going to make you think you know what’s coming, and then totally subvert those expectations. And then he’s going to rip your heart out and stomp on it...
[/img][/quote]
jtron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
"Behold, the universe is filled with blessings!" I loved this show so much. Hope it gets a physical release in the US.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice they they went back on popular shows like this and replace the CG mechs with hand drawn ones for the Blu-Ray release.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of how one feels about the models or composition, the one thing they did right with the mechs is not force them to use the same framerate as the hand-drawn stuff. The imperfections of hand-drawn tweening generally distract the eye from each individual frame, but when a geometrically perfect image stutters in the same way, it draws attention to the CG in a bad way. For avoiding that, I personally consider Planet With one of the better executions of CGI mechs (not that I follow the genre too closely).
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Easily one of the best shows this year. Not a single weak or inconsistent episode and some of the most amazingly efficient pacing I've ever seen. 12 episodes felt like 24 and if the show had managed to be 2 cour it probably would've felt like an entire epoch.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
A pretty thrilling week to week watch, although it did feel like it fell short of being as emotionally resonant as it perhaps wanted to be. It'd be easy to chalk that up to the high amount of characters and break neck pacing, buuuut I don't know that that is it...a lot of it is typical Anime Stuff characterizations and Lessons, really.

I'm also in the 3D Robots No Good camp, as what we had were ultimately big clumps mashing into each either in ways you forget after a minute. With so much of the show revolving around these, it did take things down a peg. I am a bit sad that I generally don't look forward to robot shows these days because it'll probably be full of boring CG robots (at least the basic designs here were interesting).

Still, this is a good show and it's a pretty easy recommendation, seeing as how it doesn't waste any time, at all.

On another note, I have said it before and I will say it again: This is going to kick ass in Super Robot Wars
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Best anime of the year (I honestly don't see anything passing it, and I know Zokuowari is still going to air), and it made me re-read Mizukami's works, which I'm extremely grateful for because apparently they just get even better the second time. I'm curious how the manga for this will turn out - as it deals with the issues Nick described, in a way.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I almost dropped this early on, but I'm glad I stuck with it because it was my favorite from the Summer season and definitely in my Top 5 for the year. This was also my first time experiencing a Mizukami work and it made me interested in checking out his other work. I actually just ordered the first 5 volumes of Spirit Circle from TRSI.

Back to Planet With... I didn't think the CG was bad. I think it was a nice contrast with the regular animation, especially with the Dragon.

As much as I love the show, I wish it were longer to flesh out the secondary characters more. That, and I still have so many questions. Like, when and how did Takashi discover his powers? Despite that, I'm still impressed with how much content was put into 12 episodes.

I recommend reading the manga adaption because there are some differences that I thought were interesting. spoiler[Manga!Takashi in particular is more expressive and talkative (though not by much) than the anime version, but the core of the character is still the same.]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Say that Sentai Filmworks or Funi was to give this an Eng. Who do you see playing our 3 lead characters?
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
Mizukami did this? Now I have to watch it. Lucifer and the Biacuit Hammer was phenomenal, and Spirit Cycle even moreso. Definitely one of my all-time favorite mangaka.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
This review summarizes my thoughts on Planet With pretty well. For the long-awaited "Mizukami anime", it was kind of disappointing how weak the CG and parts of the overall composition were, but Mizukami's story-telling prowess and talent creating deeply engaging characters and conflicts still shine through and make a thoroughly enjoyable series.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
It was a good show. The CG mechs were pretty meh though, considering what other do like Polygon, this was pretty low tier.

I also feel like the show was too short to have any really strong emotional impact and left me kind of underwhelmed.

I don't think I'd put it in my top 10 of this year, but it was still good fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2