• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: IRODUKU: The World in Colors

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
When Hitomi arrives (via bus, which is a nice touch that strongly reminds me of the Korean film My Beautiful Girl Mari),.....

So glad you caught this! Smile
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:21 am Reply with quote
I usually like and enjoy P.A. Works shows, but it has been a while since I have watched something truly special from them. It is early, but Iroduku seems to have all the elements and potential to be special for me.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
I really don't think there's any love triangle at play, ep 3 was very clearly pointing out who the pair were going to be and paired the president with the girl who like to take animal picture. Personally I think the love aspect is the weakest part, I know it seems all romantic, but Hitomi is really stripped of any agency in this love story. She's send back in time in this guy room and he's the only one who can draw color she can see. Her granny/the writer is just telling her she has to fall in love with that guy wether she likes it or not (and since she has the willpower of wet cardboard she'll do it). If there's going to be some love triangle, I'd wager it's going to between Granny and Yuito, maybe with some tragic backstory where Yuito died in the past and that's why Granny is sending her back in time or w/e convoluted scheme that'll make 0 sense.

Kinda wished magic was a bigger part of society, it's common knowledge and clearly can do big things (they mentioned that granny was always causing big trouble plus the time traveling) yet it's somehow only used for party trick?

So overall, I think the show is very well put together and got nothing to say about the excellent visual aspect. But the writing is really disappointing.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
Feels like the usual high standard P.A. Works series, beautiful to look at with an interesting layered story. I tend to overlook GLASSLIP, don't hate it but that show just simply didn't work for me.

I'm always a sucker for time travel stories especially when they lean towards self-discovery themes rather than the whole save the world trope..This one caught my attention and piqued my interest pretty quickly, so I'm quite invested in what's going on already. I'm especially curious about what the consequences (wanted and unwanted) of this little jaunt into the past will actually be.

To hazard a guess from what I've seen, the future seems to be a place of complete convenience where most things can be done for you easily. Maybe Grannies lesson is about not resting on your laurels and seizing the moments in-front of you. That remaining static and never trying to reach for more will cause life to pass you by. Perhaps meeting Grans rowdy old friends and engaging in their club activities is meant to 'teach' Hitomi what it's like to truly invest in and/or strive for something. That bringing 'colour' to your life comes down to finding that one thing you can be passionate about and finding joy from it, regardless of whether you have innate talent or not.

Also I agree about the love triangle theory, tbh the romantic hints were about as subtle as a baseball bat to the face. Well at least they felt that way to me anyway, although I'd say wouldn't it be more accurate to call it a square.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm still on the fence on this show.

I'll admit I'm not familiar with time-travel romance tropes (well, I saw the time travelers wife and almost 2 seasons of the Outlanders TV show), but my initial take on Iroduku was "an extremely earnest take on Futurerama's "Fry becomes his own grandpa" plot." Like, a bit too earnest. Earnest to a fault.

I also agree with all meiam's criticisms: Hitomi hasn't shown much of her personality yet (why is she so timid? Why does she believe she's "bad at magic" when she actually has quite a bit of talent, as evidenced by walking on water in episode 3?), and it's strange that magic has practical usage but is relegated to gimmicky party tricks.

The most personality Hitomi portrayed was when she wondered if she was being conditioned while eating her pocky reward in ep 3 (that was a cute moment---yes, you're being conditioned, but conditioning can work just as well in educating people as training animals!)

I am curious how the dynamic will change when Hitomi's teenaged grandmother joins the group, so I'll give it another episode or two.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I came in not knowing it was PA Works. By the visuals alone I started suspecting it was theirs and halfways through the episode I was convinced. That aesthetic, those themes but specially that pacing are so easy to identify.

Chaos Wings wrote:
Feels like the usual high standard P.A. Works series, beautiful to look at with an interesting layered story. I tend to overlook GLASSLIP, don't hate it but that show just simply didn't work for me.

I know I watched that series but I can barely remember anything about it.
There was this irl who did sports (and wasn't the MC) and was central to a lot of the drama, and this mysterious guy that was kind of a jerk... but that's about it.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Great show so far-granted Hitomi doesn't show much personality other than timidity and always seems to have a worried look on her face. It'll be interestin to see what happens next week when Granny finally show up.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy this show. The end of the first episode was the kind of visual flourish that I love and the characters are enjoyable. The burgeoning side relationship between the glasses sempai and the new guy is a lot of fun in the third episode.

I’ll be interested to see Granny’s addition to the mix next episode. Far as the achromatic viewpoint, I assumed that had somehow resulted from magic use, hence her dislike for it. Although she’s shown to only be really bad at magic when she pays attention to it.

Pocky as a magic wand is one of my favorite things in a show this year though.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I’m enjoying this so far, but I think my favorite detail was when she was clearly trying to “turn on” her desk (like assuming it was some kind of electronic tablet). I love how nothing was said, but it was so obvious what she was trying to do, lol.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Three episodes in and I am liking the story so far and the visuals are beautiful (especially with the displays of colors). I am not familiar with P.A. Works ( I might had been of I had seen Glasslip which is an anime I was interested in seeing), but from reading the reviews and comments relating to this show I can the studio is a big deal. Also, I love the fact that magic is apart of normal life in both our time line and in the future (as well as the future looking much like our time period but with more advance tech. It does not go overboard with assumptions like Hanna-Barbera's The Jetsons did with showing what the future could look like). It gives the setting a more whimsical feel to it while still maintaining the modern 21rst century feel. Anime smile While it certainly might not seem to be playing a bigger role in society as it potentially could have it's nice to see magic existing along side technology and of being being dismissive in favor of technology (unlike what happen in the setting of TRIGGER's Little Witch Academia).

I am curious where this story is going given the situation with time travel. I do have my share of speculations. I was thinking there might be a possibility that Aoi gets close to Hitomi but discovers that she is actually his granddaughter which would mean that Aoi gets together with Kohaku. I was not thinking this because I shipped Aoi with Kohaku, but that with time traveling and interacting with the people of that time period there is a risk that one can affect the time stream if not careful. For this reason it would be smart idea for Hitomi not to get too intimate with anyone in the time period she's in otherwise it could end up affecting her (as well as everyone else) in a bad way (because I have the the feeling this story does not use the time travel theory that is establish in Toei Animation's Dragonball Super in which branches of timelines are created each time someone time travels and affects time).

However as I thought further I realize that if Aoi, as well as Shō since we are going to be bringing up a love triangle in this, were her grandfather she would had recognize their first names (the only reason I can think of not being the case if perhaps her grandfather pass away before Hitomi was born and therefore never got to know him well enough but the fact he was her grandfather).

Rebecca Silverman's fan theory she shared in her review of episode 1 in the meanwhile was just wild, O_O and all by connecting the dots (dots in which I should had picked up on when I think about it, but I didn't). Granted it seems this theory is not holding up as well now as before, but still that had be worry for a moment (not in a bad way objectively wise. There is nothing wrong if Iroduku went that route). I was not aware that time travel was consider a sub genre of romance, but looking up the name "bodice ripper" I would consider that a sub genre to romance as well.

Well I am looking forward to seeing younger Kohaku after waiting three episodes. She looks to be person I might take a liking to. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kohaku home from England (obligatory studying-at-Hogwarts joke here)

This is a good time pose a question that that came to mind when I watch episode 4. Why is it that England seems to be the center for magic in fantasy stories? Along with Harry Potter there is TRIGGER's Little Witch Academia, and before those two there is Jill Murphy's The Worst Witch (I feel there are other fantasy stories that take place in England that I know, but I can't remember them at the moment). Not to mention the country itself from Hidekaz Himaruya Hetalia: Axis Powers practices and uses magic. Is this tie into English lore or something?

Quote:
Yuito remains interested in Hitomi, although finding out that she wasn't lying about the whole time-travel thing does appear to startle him more than the others in the group. In fact, the lack of reaction on everyone else's part is more striking than Yuito's clear discomfort.

Yeah, the group seems to have taken this revelation rather well with the possible exception of Aoi. Sure there was surprise but not a big reaction. Also, I was a bit surprise Hitomi told everyone (with a push from Kohaku) this so soon. I was thinking this secret would not be reveal to the others until much later in the series.

Anyway it's nice to finally get to see Kohaku and she turns out to be someone I would definitely like. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:

This is a good time pose a question that that came to mind when I watch episode 4. Why is it that England seems to be the center for magic in fantasy stories? Along with Harry Potter there is TRIGGER's Little Witch Academia, and before those two there is Jill Murphy's The Worst Witch (I feel there are other fantasy stories that take place in England that I know, but I can't remember them at the moment). Not to mention the country itself from Hidekaz Himaruya Hetalia: Axis Powers practices and uses magic. Is this tie into English lore or something?

I think there are a couple of things going on with this. One is that since the modern fantasy genre was essentially born in England with Tolkien, there's just a tendency to associate the two. Other countries certainly contributed to early incarnations of fantasy - Gothic novels, folklore collections, etc - but none really scream "fantasy" like hobbits and rings.

The other possibility is that yes, the UK does have a particularly strong culture of folk beliefs, and one that, thanks to the aforementioned fantasies (also see Spenser, Shakespeare) is more well-known than some others. "Fairies" as we know them are largely based in those folk traditions and later strengthened by such international bestsellers as Peter Pan and other children's works. So basically, England isn't some international hotbed of magical lore, but rather the one many people are best acquainted with via fiction. At least, that's my opinion on the subject. Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
^Doesn't it go back further than that? What about Merlin?

I like Kohaku! I hope she doesn't have to die so Hitomi can become her own grandma. Razz

But as I was reading the review, I started wondering if this was an Orange situation and spoiler[Granny sent Hitomi back to prevent a classmate's death] (never finished Orange, though)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:23 am Reply with quote
^ I was kind of lumping Arthurian lore in with other folklore, but yes, technically speaking, that's a major component of it, especially since the legends were so popular that France even got in on the action and added Lancelot du Lac into the mix. Smile
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I think there are a couple of things going on with this. One is that since the modern fantasy genre was essentially born in England with Tolkien, there's just a tendency to associate the two. Other countries certainly contributed to early incarnations of fantasy - Gothic novels, folklore collections, etc - but none really scream "fantasy" like hobbits and rings.

The other possibility is that yes, the UK does have a particularly strong culture of folk beliefs, and one that, thanks to the aforementioned fantasies (also see Spenser, Shakespeare) is more well-known than some others. "Fairies" as we know them are largely based in those folk traditions and later strengthened by such international bestsellers as Peter Pan and other children's works. So basically, England isn't some international hotbed of magical lore, but rather the one many people are best acquainted with via fiction. At least, that's my opinion on the subject. Very Happy

Oh, I see! Surprised Thanks for answering. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5