• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Run with the Wind

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:40 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Ouji-sama might be my favorite character now. Haiji's pretty fascinating too, but we've already seen darker hints of what lies behind his affable, wide-eyed-innocent face, so no trusting him until he lays more of his cards on the table. Very Happy

Ouji is love!<3

I'm really looking forward to learning more about everyone's backstory, not just Haji's or Kakeru's. They all have such distinct personalities and are not just stereotypical sports anime characters, so i'm really curious about them (and happy it's two cours). Well, except for the twins who are (probably) just lovable idiots, but that's alright as well. Laughing
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:01 am Reply with quote
I ran both track and cross-country, and ran a lot've long-distance as a hobby, but I have to admit it's a pretty boring premise for a show...

... that said, holy crap is this show undeservedly fun. They are really nailing the character interactions.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing the ultimate resolution will be that they'll run the marathon like a day before the official one by just running the official path while no one else is running or something along that line.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It bothers me that King's arc is a cliffhanger because I don't think it has the weight to be a two-parter.

The arc doesn't seem to be about King alone. His outburst coincides when Haiji's demands becoming more and more unreasonable and King wasn't the only discontent even before that. With the team becoming closer to each other is easy to forget that at the end of the day this is about Haiji and no one else.

Quote:
These focal scenes on Run with the Wind's B-team align directly with Kakeru's thoughts regarding who should be “allowed to participate” in a track meet. In real life, running is one of the most accepting sports around.

Sure, but they are preparing for a very high level competition where they need to meet hard requirements just to qualify. Questioning if people who have themselves let go/ have never properly run can be as good as pros in one year is not bigotry or gatekeeping.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Prince, who runs like an Abnormal Titan

Lol! Participation internet for you!

Even the dog betrayed him. Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
"I'm trying to become incorporeal." I really love Ouji and his unlimited stash of weird t-shirts!

Whatever happened to the old landlord/coach, btw? Did he die after ep.1?!
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, somebody seems to check this forum, so we got a glimpse of alive and well ojiisan, happily clipping his toenails. Thanks for that. Laughing

That aside, i continue to enjoy this show a lot. The characters keep growing on me and i really want them to succeed, however that "success" may look like in the end.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:
The arc doesn't seem to be about King alone. ... With the team becoming closer to each other is easy to forget that at the end of the day [this] is about Haiji and no one else.

This seems contradictory, but I'm not sure what you're referencing by "this." Do you mean the story being told, or the effort to run the Hakone marathon? I guess either way I'd disagree, since the story seems to be about everyone's development and all of them are slowly coming around to wanting to race, for their own reasons.

The misprint on the t-shirt was priceless. And a great way to crack King's shell open a bit.

Of course Prince is still best boy. I love how the butterflies of death swarm around him after his runs.

This is winning me more every week, second only to Thunderbolt.

Merida wrote:
so we got a glimpse of alive and well ojiisan, happily clipping his toenails.

While I'm glad ojiisan is still with us, I did not need to see a closeup of his pedicure. Though I have to admit, for an old geezer runner, he's still got some nice feet - better than mine. >.>
Violet Park

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

This seems contradictory, but I'm not sure what you're referencing by "this." Do you mean the story being told, or the effort to run the Hakone marathon? I guess either way I'd disagree, since the story seems to be about everyone's development and all of them are slowly coming around to wanting to race, for their own reasons.

I meant running the Hakone. We see the guys connecting with each other in different ways (the twins trying to befriend Kurahara, Shindou looking after King...) and even gaining something from running, but the problem is Haiji's mindset. His only goal is running the Hakone and he has shown he'll do anything to make them run. He is nice now because everything is running smoothly, but I have no doubt he'd turn real nasty if any of them actually tried to leave. At the end of the day he doesn't respect they are people with their own lives, the author just lets him get away with it.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
What the heck is up with the score of episode 6? 3.8? This is an absolute joke. It was such a good episode on so many level. The purest of boys alone is reason for a god damn 5/5. Character development at its best.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I mean, Kakeru is 100% right. The team is essentially acting like they're still in the running for getting in the marathon but they absolutely aren't and unless the show pull off some fakery they will not be ready for the race. In other word, does Kakeru really have to work with the team when the team isn't going to classify anyway? What does he have to work with them for? The Hakone marathon? They aren't going to run it. There's 2 (realistic) scenario

1- The team is ready for the meet, in which case Kakeru wouldn't have his outburst
2- The team is incapable of getting in the race and they should give up and pick a more realistic goal

They're firmly in #2. There's not really any sign that the team as accepted that they wouldn't get in anyway so they're just going along with the training to humor Haiji, some of them seems to really believe they might run it.

I'm not saying this is bad, there's a lot of interesting story to be explored in these 2 scenario. But in the current scenario Kakeru doesn't really have to work on anything (he's still someone who think it's a good idea to gamble to try and get money for rent, that's something he really should be working on).
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
More than halfway through the season, I still maintain that this is one of the most effective portrayals of a large ensemble cast I've seen in anime because it shows so much of everyone in such small bites.

I wholeheartedly agree. However, is this show getting split up into two seasons? I thought it was going to run (ha) straight through the 23 episodes.

Quote:
However, when Manas raced to the front and Kakeru quickly followed, it turned out that the onlookers' warning that, “guys get drawn in by his speed and screw up their pace” turned out to be true.

I didn’t get that that was the reason at all. If that were the case, I think Kakeru would have pulled ahead sooner. I think it was Kakeru’s growing irritation at Fujioka that got the better of him because he didn’t pull ahead until he’d glared at him a few times as well as look back at Haiji.

meiam wrote:
But in the current scenario Kakeru doesn't really have to work on anything (he's still someone who think it's a good idea to gamble to try and get money for rent, that's something he really should be working on).

I’m pretty sure it showed in episode 4(?) that that was out of desperation, and not because he likes gambling. I got the impression that he was essentially living on the streets (or behind the university somewhere) and was just about out of money. Why he hadn’t moved into his supposed apartment yet, I’m curious about, but maybe we’ll find out later.

Overall, this is still my favorite show of the season and each episode keeps getting stronger and stronger. Ouji’s bit on the track was a highlight for me. And the confused look on the guy’s face that offered him water made me crack up when he said it was like this all the time. Haiji is still a complete mystery to me, and I am desperate to learn more about him. I’ve been totally sucked into his character, and I think that Toyonaga is doing a fantastic job voicing him. For now, however, I’m looking forward to Kakeru’s breakdown next episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
All respect to the Prince! I just lost it when they were asking if he was ok and wanted to quit and he just said, "This is how I always run." If he was getting lapped after one lap, how long was he out there running alone? But he didn't quit. Most people would be humiliated to do that in front of an audience, and it's not even something he loves, but he didn't quit. He's got more courage in one of his spindly little arms than an entire team of top-level athletes. He breaks my heart. Smile
RenRen94

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:48 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
What the heck is up with the score of episode 6? 3.8? This is an absolute joke. It was such a good episode on so many level. The purest of boys alone is reason for a god damn 5/5. Character development at its best.

Unfortunately, I think there's foul play with the community scoring of some of the shows, and as new reviews keep dropping in, I fear there may be a kernel of truth to my hypothesis. I made a post about it on the ANN Feedback forum, but nobody's said anything yet. Feel free to check it out if you want.

On a brighter note, Run with the Wind is my favorite show this season, not including the continuation of summer's Banana Fish. Character interactions are a joy to watch, and Lauren has provided me with the best line of "Prince runs like an Abnormal Titan." Looking forward to the day Kakeru will stand up to his Shinji Matou lookalike ex-teammate (the boy is basically a red haired Shinji and literally nobody can tell me any different), but looks like he'll have to overcome this heavy reality check first.

Side note: someone please tell me I wasn't the only one thinking of Shiratorizawa's white and purple uniforms when Fujioka and his team rolled up? God, I miss Haikyuu...
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kansai University

Psst, it's "Kansei."

Really enjoying how each character is so different with their own individual personalities. With what little progress the characters are making on their times though, I wonder how far the series will get by the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13