• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RErideD (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote

RErideD (TV)

Genres: science fiction

Plot Summary: In the year 2050, a young engineer named Derrida Yvain is famous thanks to his invention, "Autonomous Machine DZ". However, Derrida and his co-worker Nathan discover a flaw in DZ and attempt to report it to their boss at Rebuild, a manufacturing company. Their observations are ignored and the next day, unknown forces attack them. Derrida escapes inside a cold sleep machine but doesn't awaken for a whole decade. He awakens to find the world ravaged by a war fought by his inventions. He decides to seek out Nathan's daughter Mage and protect her at all costs.
----------------------------------

Crunchyroll is premiering the first four episodes today. All four episodes are out now on their official site.

I think this has an interesting premise so far as we first meet protagonist Derrida. A interesting question is ask: "what's the key to time travel?"

The most mysterious character is definitely Mage so far. So many questions right now but so hopefully more will be answered. I see Derrida and his father has a rather tense relationship though so I'm more curious if the show will explore more of that.

Derrida's character intention seems to be bent on finding the truth, make a change, and also getting revenge. He also has some allies on his side now althoguh I wonder how much they can really trust him. (I know that Vidaux guy isn't interested in helping him get revenge) Seems the show will revisit the first episode's scenes quite often because the nature of the plot.

On the world building side, I'm somewhat impressed. It's a world that has advanced technology but not everything looked impressive to me, at least not yet. The machines introduced so far looked fairly generic for their designs.

Still an interesting plot though with the suspense building.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
Whoa, zero replies so far? Well, I am a huge ABE fan so I will watch this for sure ( I even watched the relatively weaker Nie7 show). I haven't watched anything of this yet but I will wait until it has mostly finished so I can binge watch it (the way ABE is supposed to be consumed).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SomeHero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the replies got lost in an time tunnel Razz. I like the Setting, Speed and badass mercenary (and his cute daughter, too), but why o why (Derrida) doesnt showed Yuri the Pocketwatch? *sigh*
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:10 am Reply with quote
I think the setting itself is confusing, where it is cluttered with its time displacement abilities that seemed to come out of nowhere from the robot rebellion plot. Sure he was apparently researching into it, but why can he suddenly do it after he was cryogenically frozen for 10 years? There may well be a reason, but it feels like too much of a cluttered plot thread to add into him having noticed the glitch thing with the robot AI, creating a patch, and somehow getting time powers, that just seem to overdo it with the drama, for plots that really don't need anymore.

Just looking at the recent episode, he has also magically become a super warrior where he was able to fully auto kill all the robots that had surrounded them. A certain line felt like it was invoking Star Wars, where the driver (pilot) mercenary (smuggler) tells him not to get cocky while he is shooting, and now he is an action hero.

I have other questions too, like whether he is the same age as his friend who had an eight year old daughter, who apparently fell in love and stayed in love with him for 10 years, and characters saying he makes a cute couple with the current 18 year old girl that he knew of earlier. It also feels like she has lost her camera several times, but it keeps showing up again somehow, acting as a lazy explanation for story elements, and generally the design of the camera is stupid. Are they advanced or not, and do they have cloud or something? Hasn't the voice of the car also changed several times, or was that my imagination?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Did he really end up with Mage at the end? If he rewrote everything, then he would never have been frozen, thus he aged up, staying the same age as her father, with her being around 18, which I guess from her looking the same at the end, so he should be in his 30s at least. Doesn't the show think that is a little creepy? I totally don't buy the romance in this.

As I said, we found out the source of his time powers, but also it seemed that he had just thought he gained time powers out of nowhere. Good work at trying to appeal to emotions at the end, but it really does not seem to make sense why it should do so with one being a bartender robot called Graham, somehow being connected to the robot car.

I give the show a rating of So-so (5/10), it didn't grab my attention much. I don't think that it was too terrible, but a lot of what I said before of it feeling confusing and cluttered, that I think it also played cheap tricks to appeal to emotions, while I don't think doing too good of a job.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:05 am Reply with quote
Since I am a huge fan of this kind of thing I gave it very good, that is 8/10. Overall it grabbed my attention better than most shows but it's true that some parts of it felt they were a bit convoluted. But I thing it's convolution was designed: being about time travel with broken timelines always changing it was a show also about leaving the viewers confused. Not every anime has to spoon feed it's audience (and in the end it gave a nice amount of information drop for its audience).

Overall I think it's biggest weakness was the lack of direction and production quality to fully flesh out ABe's concepts. But in terms of basic worldbuilding and storytelling to me it was way above the average anime title. Actually I can't think of many other shows from this year that are superior to it. Still not a masterpiece given its numerous flaws but something that deserves way more attention than it got.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1