• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Examples of Futuristic Space Travel [2018-11-04]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Man, 4 out of the 6 of these are in my short-list for most entertaining sci-fi franchises in anime. There was a good 10-15 years in the history of the medium where sci-fi almost felt like the go-to genre for anime series, and so many of my favorites hail from that era. I feel like we don't see nearly as much of them anymore, which is a damn shame.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Explaining instant or hyperdrive space travel has always been fascinating in science fiction, and attempting to understand how each process works is definitely a treat for science buffs. I don't imagine I'll live long enough to see us possibly master some form of high speed movement through the cosmos, but it's nice to think about. That said, happy to see Outlaw Star and Macross Frontier on the list.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
The survey link is wrong. Drop the 'share' from the end and it'll work.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Survey link not working
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I voted for ACT-AGE, Astra Lost In Space, and Straighten Up! (Sesuji wo Pin! to), because the latter two have reached their conclusions and were pretty satisfying. I could see them adapted into a two cour and three cour series, respectively. ACT-AGE has survived long enough that I think there is a chance it can keep going enough to get an anime adaptation on its own if it keeps up the pace.
timber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Unrelated to anime, but David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series of has the most interesting consequences of a form of space travel I have seen. The ships generates bands/wedges of highly compressed/directional gravity fields above and below the ship which push the ship in space or one of the hyperspace "bands" (upper bands are faster but more difficult to navigate). Hyperspace is influenced by mass and you cannot transit between hyperspace bands/normal space while being near starts or planets.

The generators can be reconfigured to form sails to navigate corridors of hypergravity streams or wormholes.

Military wise, the neat trick is that the generated gravity wedges are so dense that they are impenetrable but the physics impose that they must remain separated so you cannot form a perfect protection bubble and the best you can do is to generate weaker sidewalls that do not interfere with the main gravity fields. Of the wedges impenetrability works both ways so lasers and missile launchers can only shoot from the sides too. This all reminiscent of old galleons battles with complex manoeuvrers to gain the best shooting position or to trick your enemy.
Marzan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Man, 4 out of the 6 of these are in my short-list for most entertaining sci-fi franchises in anime. There was a good 10-15 years in the history of the medium where sci-fi almost felt like the go-to genre for anime series, and so many of my favorites hail from that era. I feel like we don't see nearly as much of them anymore, which is a damn shame.

Agree, but to be fair, I think its a specific kind of sci-fi, that which the story is space based, that has lost its popularity. Other kinds of sci-fi are doing well.

Crest/Banner of the Stars has one of the most well crafted narrative universes in anime. Science, language, society, its all fleshed out and described in detail
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
The plane-space phenomenon in Crest of the Stars perhaps exemplifies the limit a writer can take a speculative device before it becomes distracting. The battles themselves remained the focus when they occurred, rather than the strange technologies that facilitated them. (For the sake of contrast, Noein's otherworldliness was too ingrained and overarching for my liking. Such was my inability to suspend my disbelief that I simply had to stop watching.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Barciad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Quite. It seemed like we all took that good, intelligent Science-Fiction for granted. And now it's gone.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Outlaw Star is the only Anime from childhood that I still rewatch.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Your missing a doozy, FLCL and their concept of hyperspace of consciousness allowing objects to pass from the head of one higher intelligence being to another.

Crest/Banner of the stars is a favourite for providing a rational explanation for why conflict takes place in two dimensional space and the great concept of what occurs when they meet with torpedoes projecting their own subspace bubbles which merge with that of the target vessels when they collide.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Agree, but to be fair, I think its a specific kind of sci-fi, that which the story is space based, that has lost its popularity. Other kinds of sci-fi are doing well.

Crest/Banner of the Stars has one of the most well crafted narrative universes in anime. Science, language, society, its all fleshed out and described in detail

You make a good point here. I don't know if there are equivalent terms in sci-fi, but fantasy has the dichotomy between high fantasy (your traditional Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones sword-and-sorcery) and low fantasy (more like Harry Potter), with urban fantasy being a subset of the latter. Even in recent years I can think of examples of "low sci-fi," things along the lines of Steins;Gate, and cyberpunk has always had a presence as everyone does their own takes on Ghost in the Shell, but that sort of high-concept sci-fi set in space has all but vanished. Or if it's still there, it barely makes a splash. I can't help but dream of a world where we were getting a half-dozen series about spaceships and interplanetary politics and faster-than-light travel and wave motion guns and all of that awesome crunchy stuff per year.

And I fully agree about Crest/Banner. Finally watching the anime last year was a real treat, and I only wish more of it had been adapted. I think the author's slated to come out with another novel relatively soon, right?
Banjo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Uchūsen Sagittarius is one of the best space adventure anime, sadly the character designs makes it unpopular. Wink
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Your survey link is broken.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I voted for 20th Century Boys, Astra Lost in Space, and My Hero Academia: Vigilantes. Unfortunately, only one of those is realistic for ever getting an anime adaptation. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2