• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Reveals Partial List of Anime Leaving Service on November 9, Tentative List of Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnamine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Johnamine wrote:

Sentai/HiDive would not do that for nothing. They will get something good in return.

By the way, Crunchyroll may not have enough resource to "go bigger". In fact, Crunchyroll is in danger of being killed. AT&T/Warner are killing several of their streaming sites recently, it would not be surprise if they decide to kill Crunchyroll.

(Afterall, AT&T/Warner plan to launch a major streaming service site in 2019; AT&T/Warner wouldn't want to keep Crunchyroll to compete with the major streaming service site.)
http://www.economist.com/business/2018/11/03/hbo-will-lead-at-and-ts-challenge-to-netflix

I wouldn’t worry about that at the moment. While they did kill off two niche streaming services, both had considerably fewer users than CR. While CR May only have two million paying subscribers, they have several million more that use their ad supported service. Also, the decision to shut down DramaFever was actually made prior to the AT&T acquisition.

Not to mention, AT&T has been actively promoting Crunchyroll and VRV. The latter is even offered as a free premium option, alongside Showtime and HBO, for their unlimited data plan customers. I’ve even seen VRV featured in several of their commercials for this plan.

They could potentially merge CR into VRV, or align the two even more closely. However, I don’t think either is in any danger of shutting down, especially if the number of ad supported users remains high and subscribers continue to grow.

FilmStruck and DramaFever were both less successful and well known than CR. The panic over their shut down is a little overblown, and doesn’t automatically mean that Warner will shut down all their remaining streaming services, even when their new one launches. Plenty of media companies have had no issues owning a chunk of Hulu, while also owning their own streaming services and also selling shows to Netflix and Amazon.

The decision to shut down DramaFever was actually made after the AT&T acquisition. (It is why DramaFever was shut down so suddenly.)
Futhermore, AT&T stated that it would be “consolidating resources from sub-scale D2C [direct-to-consumer] efforts.”
http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/dramafever-k-drama-shutting-down-warner-bros-1202982001/
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
I wonder if all those dubbed titles listed are leaving Funi then, if so, that is going to be a lot of lost content, especially since it is a partial list.

I'm wondering about that, too. It's a pretty big list already and includes a lot of shows that Funimation dubbed itself. The ones the CR produced aren't a surprise, but if Sony deciding not to renew means that Funimation can't stream the dubs it made, then that is a pretty big blow to its own service. We're talking at least a dozen shows per season across two years. It isn't very clear, and Funimation said previously that it was losing a "handful" of shows, but things licensed during the partnership were unaffected. Plus, it would be a pretty lopsided partnership if Funimation can't keep using the dubs it made. I'm hoping this means that the dubs are merely being added to CR since they are no longer doing the subs on CR dubs on Funi split.

I'd like to think that is the case, but then again, Funimation stated it had no plans to make changes with the partnership when they announced the Sony purchase, but Sony had other ideas, so I can't say I'm not concerned that Sony sees the loss of that many titles as a "small cost" of having its own separate service.

My guess would have been that subtitled shows that Funimation had before would go back, and the same for dubbed versions of CR shows, and that they maintained the split on shows acquired during the partnership, so this has me kind of concerned,.But, I suppose it's possible that CR is only adding the dubs to its service, rather than Funimation losing them, since there isn't an incentive to encourage people to subscribe to both services. I'm hoping we'll see some clarification from Funimation soon.
Toonces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Johnamine wrote:
Sentai/HiDive would not do that for nothing. They will get something good in return.

By the way, Crunchyroll may not have enough resource to "go bigger". In fact, Crunchyroll is in danger of being killed. AT&T/Warner are killing several of their streaming sites recently, it would not be surprise if they decide to kill Crunchyroll.

Obviously they won't do it for "nothing", but I would think they'd want to keep their streaming service as somewhat more viable than what they've had in the past. Unless it's doing much worse than I thought.

I'm not scared of crunchyroll shutting down. They just boasted about 2 million subs. I'd be shocked if Dramafever or any of the other sites they shut down had even 10% of that (5% may even be generous).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
The Schedule section of Funimation's site is now crammed with premiere dates for Japanese uncut versions of older titles, although there isn't anything new regarding the dubs listed in the article.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
The decision to shut down DramaFever was actually made after the AT&T acquisition. (It is why DramaFever was shut down so suddenly.)
Futhermore, AT&T stated that it would be “consolidating resources from sub-scale D2C [direct-to-consumer] efforts.”
http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/dramafever-k-drama-shutting-down-warner-bros-1202982001/[/quote]

Actually no, the decision on it and Filmstruck were both made prior to the deal. They just didn’t shut down until after it had closed. But the launch of their new service is why they are shutting down their less popular streaming services.

https://www.thewrap.com/warnermedia-to-shut-down-filmstruck-streaming-service/

But regardless, just because two smaller services were shut down doesn’t mean we should go into panic mode and assume that Warner is going to shut down all of their other streaming services. CR has many, many more users than FilmStruck and DramaFever combined, and AT&T is still actively promoting it and VRV.
laceblade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad I chose Hyouka as my gamble-show to start watching, given that it's on the list. I might try to get through that as well as Snow White With the Red Hair, all by Friday ;___;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3