• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: SSSS.Gridman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote
Love that fact that they actually named Borr's missles after Sydney from SSSS. Ok Vit, let see if your weapons are named after Amp and/or Lucky. Though lets face it, it probably will.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit disappointed that Gridman dealt with the kaiju in such a straightforward manner since it started out with a question of what if the fight was scaled like regular humans vs. regular kaiju.

The most interesting thing to me was Akane wondering what was taking Gridman so long to appear. I guess she not only wasn't certain of his identity, but she doesn't know how he appears in the real world.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Trigger isn't even hiding anymore that this is really the Rikka and Akane Show only guest-starring Gridman and his amnesic teen sidekick Yuta, are they? Granted that is not a totally bad thing as they are the best characters but the actual protagonist that bears the name of the anime here does need focus too.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I mean, there are worse characters to base a show around. The little bit of time with Rikka was great and Akane is one of the best antagonists I’ve seen in a while. Agreed that Gridman could use some depth, heck they all could. I do love the show but spreading the love could bump it even higher.

I rarely say this, but I wish the show was going longer than 12 episodes. There’s a LOT they could be expanding on without dragging things out.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Call me trash and lay on me Akane

Good episode. Anti's appearance was pretty nice - he's made to job but his human showings are fantastic - and the comedy around the crew having to get to Yuta so he could transform was great. Rikka and Utsumi are falling into the 'just there' territory, especially because they don't seem all that friendly to Yuta (Utsumi less so, as they had nice moments in here with the trip and during dressing up in swimsuits). Unfortunately it's kind of falling in the "monster of the week" scenario where the kaiju confrontation is just there for its own sake and doesn't really affect anything much, but the ending of the episode makes it seem like that might change. Fingers crossed!
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Great, Gridman. You had me to stop thinking about feet for one episode only to focus on all the thigh gaps on a beach episode without the beach part. ...Great job?

It's interesting that Akane pretty much almost DIED then and there because she was waiting for Gridman to show up and fight the kaiju, and instead had to wait inside a burning forest (in a bikini no less) which is just about the worst idea. Also this episode is proof once again that breasts are pocket dimensions where you store cellphones.

Not much noteworthy to mention about the episode besides the foreshadowy ending, except Rikka's outfit which... seems to be two swimsuits on top of each other or something? Do some people actually do that? Can't say it looks good on her, but I can't say it looks bad either.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It feels at times like the crew was spending so much time drawing cute girls, cool monsters, and sexy robots that they neglected to move the plot or characterization forward enough for a serial story.

They did move the mystery of Gridman's setting - just that it wasn't directly addressed this episode. Specifically, the train going to the mountains. Note how the train is engulfed in fog on the journey, and that its passengers (Yuuta, Utsumi, the Gridman support gang) just so happen to fall asleep on the way.

In the original Gridman tokusatsu, the characters battled kaiju-shaped viruses in a virtual cyberspace. Assuming this theme carries over to the anime, it could mean the anime world is some kind of virtual simulation. The fog and falling asleep could be a simulation-loading mechanism to make the characters feel like they're travelled a distance,while the program begins generating a mountain/river simulation for the trip. The later disintegration of the setting could be the mountains simulation being erased/shutting down as the cast heads back to the main 'city' simulation.

Assuming this context is true, Akane's remark about "needing to do more work" for the trip implies she might have generated and coded the entire countryside setting for the outing

killjoy_the wrote:

Unfortunately it's kind of falling in the "monster of the week" scenario where the kaiju confrontation is just there for its own sake and doesn't really affect anything much, but the ending of the episode makes it seem like that might change. Fingers crossed!

Some spoiler episode summaries posted on Japan's 2ch forum indicate things might be shaking up soon. The spoilers were correct about this episode having swimsuits.
https://i.imgur.com/YnHi9W9.jpg

spoiler[Yuuta's scheduled to find out "something big" in Ep 6, and will get back his memories by Ep 11. By then there should be enough info on what's actually happening.]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 am Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Love that fact that they actually named Borr's missles after Sydney from SSSS. Ok Vit, let see if your weapons are named after Amp and/or Lucky. Though lets face it, it probably will.

That reminds me. So we have the 4 peeps in suits as Gridman's support vehicles weapons and armor. I remember in Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad that there was a dragon mech known as the "Drago program" that also assisted our hero the same way. Will that be making an appearance soon? Who will be controlling it? Granted my gut feeling says the show will go the obvious route and spoiler[have Anti control it after he defects from Akane; considering the crap he puts up, I wouldn't be surprised if he dumps her and join the good guys. But it would be a nice surprise and a solid height of character development if Rikka gets the honor of controlling the Drago program.]
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:44 am Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
The doppelganger of Akko Kagari ( LWA ) briefly appeared multiple times in the latest episode, maybe we can expect another Trigger original character like Zero Two or Ryuuko to show up in futur episode.

That'd be cool to see them pop up in the background. I like them both and Ryuuko especially remains one of my big favorites.

pharmboy23 wrote:
I rarely say this, but I wish the show was going longer than 12 episodes. There’s a LOT they could be expanding on without dragging things out.

Quite liking this so I wouldn't have minded that at all. This certainly seems like it could easily support an extension for a second set of 12 after this to get to dig in even more.

darkchibi07 wrote:
That reminds me. So we have the 4 peeps in suits as Gridman's support vehicles weapons and armor. I remember in Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad that there was a dragon mech known as the "Drago program" that also assisted our hero the same way. Will that be making an appearance soon? Who will be controlling it? Granted my gut feeling says the show will go the obvious route and spoiler[have Anti control it after he defects from Akane; considering the crap he puts up, I wouldn't be surprised if he dumps her and join the good guys. But it would be a nice surprise and a solid height of character development if Rikka gets the honor of controlling the Drago program.]

Oh yeah, that's right. Had to look up a picture of it.
spoiler[You're right I could see both. Either could be good but yeah that would be pretty cool]
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

They did move the mystery of Gridman's setting - just that it wasn't directly addressed this episode. Specifically, the train going to the mountains. Note how the train is engulfed in fog on the journey, and that its passengers (Yuuta, Utsumi, the Gridman support gang) just so happen to fall asleep on the way.

In the original Gridman tokusatsu, the characters battled kaiju-shaped viruses in a virtual cyberspace. Assuming this theme carries over to the anime, it could mean the anime world is some kind of virtual simulation. The fog and falling asleep could be a simulation-loading mechanism to make the characters feel like they're travelled a distance,while the program begins generating a mountain/river simulation for the trip. The later disintegration of the setting could be the mountains simulation being erased/shutting down as the cast heads back to the main 'city' simulation.

Assuming this context is true, Akane's remark about "needing to do more work" for the trip implies she might have generated and coded the entire countryside setting for the outing

*Finishes episode 6* WELP. That was some ride.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but -both- VAs for Rikka's mom also both voice Midori in Luluco, and her character has a single earring modeled like Midori's third eye!
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
So, episode 6 was pretty fantastic. Stakes were raised and some theories were confirmed.

I’m guessing the only time we’ve seen the real world is when Akane is in her room. I think whenever we see her interacting directly with the cast, that’s a virtual avatar. We never see anyone be in her room in person, she just talks to Alexis via screen (and Alexis appears in person outside of her room)

The new Kaiju seemed to know about the original series so I wonder if she was created by Takeshi (who served a role similar to Akane’s in the first series)

Which makes me propose the following: Yuta is an NPC in the world BUT the conscience inside of him is Naoto from the first series. Takeshi is trying to help him out by getting his memories back. Since they’re in a simulation, that’s why Gridman’s weapons look like people when they aren’t being used as they are programs like everyone else.

I figure Naoto tried to access Gridman but Alexis attacked and scrambled him so instead he wound up stuck inside Yuta’s body. Yuta’s attraction to Rikka is actually Yuta’s feelings, not Naoto’s

Alexis is doing Khan’s plan from the first series. When damage is done to the city it translates into permanent damage to the real world but the digital world is just reset (save anyone who died) Akane either knows this and doesn’t care or thinks it’s a game. In the real world she’s pretty withdrawn (opening shows she’s not in the classroom photo and is standing out in the hall) but has...or had a relationship (platonic or romantic) with Rikka.

Now the evidence ain’t great for this but Rikka and Akane are shown holding hands in the opening (it can’t be Yuta’s hand as it’s a left hand: we’d see his wrist band), and there are two separate shots in the opening which are separate but visually parallel where if you put them together the two are looking at each other (or Akane is looking slightly away while Rikka is looking at her). The ending also is showing them be pretty chummy in different uniforms (maybe middle school). Admittedly, endings usually aren’t meant to reveal much (otherwise Hyouka would be a Yuri-show about constellation makers), but it could show how they were before the series. Additionally, in the opening we see the wallet Rikka got (she was thinking of Akane at the time) and Akane’s razor blade perpendicular to each other.

So Akane and Rikka were close and then something happened that made Akane withdraw into her room. Akane created a virtual copy of her city but needed help, which is when she met Alexis. Alexis offered to help, but didn’t say how it benefited him, he just supported her and cheered her on, especially her creation of Kaiju.

When Takeshi and Naoto got word of some strange activity from Gridman, they went to investigate and that’s when Naoto got stuck in Yuta’s body. Takeshi might also have hacked into Akane’s creation so he could send a Kaiju and Junk in to assist Gridman and Naoto.

It’s not perfect, for example, why Gridman and the Kaiju don’t try to just tell Yuta if he really is Naoto? Additionally, the Kaiju refers to a “predecessor” which would mean Naoto. Even if they didn’t want to tell him directly, she could have said Yuta helped them out in the past. Maybe Yuta is just Yuta but the first time he merged with Gridman, he lost his memories.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:14 am Reply with quote
Cab329 wrote:
So, episode 6 was pretty fantastic. Stakes were raised and some theories were confirmed.

I’m guessing the only time we’ve seen the real world is when Akane is in her room. I think whenever we see her interacting directly with the cast, that’s a virtual avatar. We never see anyone be in her room in person, she just talks to Alexis via screen (and Alexis appears in person outside of her room)

The new Kaiju seemed to know about the original series so I wonder if she was created by Takeshi (who served a role similar to Akane’s in the first series)

Which makes me propose the following: Yuta is an NPC in the world BUT the conscience inside of him is Naoto from the first series. Takeshi is trying to help him out by getting his memories back. Since they’re in a simulation, that’s why Gridman’s weapons look like people when they aren’t being used as they are programs like everyone else.

I figure Naoto tried to access Gridman but Alexis attacked and scrambled him so instead he wound up stuck inside Yuta’s body. Yuta’s attraction to Rikka is actually Yuta’s feelings, not Naoto’s

Alexis is doing Khan’s plan from the first series. When damage is done to the city it translates into permanent damage to the real world but the digital world is just reset (save anyone who died) Akane either knows this and doesn’t care or thinks it’s a game. In the real world she’s pretty withdrawn (opening shows she’s not in the classroom photo and is standing out in the hall) but has...or had a relationship (platonic or romantic) with Rikka.

Now the evidence ain’t great for this but Rikka and Akane are shown holding hands in the opening (it can’t be Yuta’s hand as it’s a left hand: we’d see his wrist band), and there are two separate shots in the opening which are separate but visually parallel where if you put them together the two are looking at each other (or Akane is looking slightly away while Rikka is looking at her). The ending also is showing them be pretty chummy in different uniforms (maybe middle school). Admittedly, endings usually aren’t meant to reveal much (otherwise Hyouka would be a Yuri-show about constellation makers), but it could show how they were before the series. Additionally, in the opening we see the wallet Rikka got (she was thinking of Akane at the time) and Akane’s razor blade perpendicular to each other.

So Akane and Rikka were close and then something happened that made Akane withdraw into her room. Akane created a virtual copy of her city but needed help, which is when she met Alexis. Alexis offered to help, but didn’t say how it benefited him, he just supported her and cheered her on, especially her creation of Kaiju.

When Takeshi and Naoto got word of some strange activity from Gridman, they went to investigate and that’s when Naoto got stuck in Yuta’s body. Takeshi might also have hacked into Akane’s creation so he could send a Kaiju and Junk in to assist Gridman and Naoto.

It’s not perfect, for example, why Gridman and the Kaiju don’t try to just tell Yuta if he really is Naoto? Additionally, the Kaiju refers to a “predecessor” which would mean Naoto. Even if they didn’t want to tell him directly, she could have said Yuta helped them out in the past. Maybe Yuta is just Yuta but the first time he merged with Gridman, he lost his memories.

Yeah, this really makes sense and sounds like the way it's likely going to go. We're only halfway through, so there's still a lot of time to uncover what's really going on. I'm glad we got a "quieter" episode, even though so much happened!
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote
Indeed. The tension and the “OH CRAP!” moments were so amazing despite no Kaiju fights happening. Especially when Akane straight up orders Anti to kill Yuta, the friendly Kaiju turning Titan sized, and the Akane’s conversation were all great moments (I think Red King was a name drop of the the Ultraman enemy or a non-copyright infringing Super Robot Red Baron reference).

I also really enjoyed Anti and Rikka and I think it also supports a Rikka and Akane connection. The way I see it, Anti as he is now is probably like Akane in the real world. He smells bad, isn’t going to school, and is obsessed with a tokusatsu character...like Akane. Akane also really seems to empathize with Kaiju which Anti is one.

If he is supposed to be a sort of (narrative) proxy for the real Akane, it adds an interesting dynamic. It’s clear she doesn’t have anyone checking in on her in the real world (except maybe for Rikka in the past) so it could mean her parents aren’t around or are neglectful.

Which really adds to the weird dynamic she has with Anti, being very judgemental of him and even abusive when he fails, despite him doing the best he can within the tasks she gave him (she made him to kill Gridman and only that so getting mad at him for not being able to do much else is unfair). Yet when he succeeds she lets him gorge at a restaurant, like a parent who is doting to make up for not being around.

Since she did create him, she is his parent in a sense.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I would prefer if the show can stand in its own legs instead of needing to reference previous Gridman/needing previous Gridman knowledge to fully understand - either the way you said it or otherwise. So far, the whole 'lore' of Gridman being in a virtual world has already paid off without anything too explicit from the live actions, so I hope it keeps that way.

Great episode. I liked everyone this episode - even the weapons stalking around trying to make sure everyone was safe. Anti has kind of been an understated highlight, but I do wonder if he actually has to feed or not, as a kaiju.
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd be fine with it not having any ties aside from some vague allusions (just found it interesting since the short Trigger made featured a reformed Taekshi becoming Gridman Sigma, so a reformed Takeshi making kaiju to help out wouldn't be out of nowhere)

Since his stomach growls, I guess he does need to eat.

Trigger got a couple of fun easter eggs in this episode. Inferno cop music is played as a ring tone and Rikka's mom has an earring that is shaped like Midori's (Space Patrol Luluco) third eye. The VA is even the same as Midori's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10