• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inside Studio CloverWorks with Production Dept. Vice President Yuichi Fukushima

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm so conflicted about the Fate/Grand Order anime. I'm a huge fan of the Fate franchise, type moon, and I religiously play the mobile game on both a Japanese and English account. I was super excited when it was announced they would be making more anime after the OVA introduction but then they revealed they're adapting Camelot as multiple movies and Babylon as a TV anime while skipping all the previous singularities.

I just don't see how this makes sense since it's going to isolate everyone not already familiar with the game, especially anime only fans of the Fate franchise. F/GO can be confusing enough even when you see the story play out in order, but skipping so much content basically ensures these adaptations can't stand alone whatsoever. I liked their work on Apocrypha a lot but I don't see how they're going to adapt two random singularities, in two different formats, while skipping 80 percent of the story, and expect to have it turn out even half decent.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
I just don't see how this makes sense since it's going to isolate everyone not already familiar with the game, especially anime only fans of the Fate franchise.

Well all the previous singularities are turds and literally only things that people who have seen First Order will miss is what happened to Lev and the intro of Solomon.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
iwhile skipping 80 percent of the story, and expect to have it turn out even half decent.

Tbf, if we're going by content then each of the last 2 singularities have almost twice the content of the other ones...
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
I just don't see how this makes sense since it's going to isolate everyone not already familiar with the game, especially anime only fans of the Fate franchise.

Well all the previous singularities are turds and literally only things that people who have seen First Order will miss is what happened to Lev and the intro of Solomon.

There's still important characterization for Mash throughout those chapters which make the payoff of Camelot pretty damn worthless without the context of what they went through. I don't consider them to be absolutely worthless, not to the point you can just skip them and expect the story to make any sense.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
iwhile skipping 80 percent of the story, and expect to have it turn out even half decent.

Tbf, if we're going by content then each of the last 2 singularities have almost twice the content of the other ones...

You're still skipping more then half the story up to that point and skipping important characterization and development for characters like Mash. Also the movies for Camelot coming after the Babylon TV anime make it even more confusing since they take place before it in the story ~_~
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
There's little characterization to Mash other than standard anime cliches.
I guess a little more build up to the reveal of her servant identity couldn't hurt, but people who have know anime female archetypes will get Mash's character quickly enough just from Camelot.
Millhi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Thats what happens when you let the fandom decide on which orders should be animated.
They chose the 2 most popular ones by vote ignoring what came before.

OT: interesting article.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
I guess a little more build up to the reveal of her servant identity couldn't hurt, but people who have know anime female archetypes will get Mash's character quickly enough just from Camelot.

I'm sorry but you seem to forget the Babylon anime is coming before the Camelot movies. How the hell can anime only people understand missing not only chunks of the story but also getting it out of order? Let's agree to disagree because I just can't comprehend how you think what they're doing is a good thing story-wise.
Dab1za9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I remember Nasu saying he wanted to see Eresh animated like Apocrypha 22 so hopefully we get something similar just please get a better sound effects.

Catsplay wrote:
jl07045 wrote:

I'm sorry but you seem to forget the Babylon anime is coming before the Camelot movies. How the hell can anime only people understand missing not only chunks of the story but also getting it out of order? Let's agree to disagree because I just can't comprehend how you think what they're doing is a good thing story-wise.

They are mainly targeting the game players and as one i am completely fine with that, sitting through the early chapters again doesn't seem fun and while it is a shame that Fate doesn't get its best experience as anime i think both Camelot and Babylonia can be watched stand alone and enjoyed if they add some brief info into both.
Safhier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
i'm still pretty worried about the Fujimaru from the PV, he looks derpy there when Gil and Merlin got the pretty face treatment.

also i kinda worried about Fukushima mentioned something about possibility of this will have chance to have an episode like Apocrypha 22 because personally i'm still haven't sorted out my feeling about that episode.

spoiler[it's well animated sure, a lot of movement rather than still frames as you will expect from a battle scenes, but severe consistency issues and lack of detail is kinda killing it. the character faces is changed in every different cut with karna being most obvious, and background is made poorly since they decided to hand drawn it along with the character when they can just animate the debris only instead of the whole place or set. (tho these might not posses as an issue since it seems like they heavily using 3D background in the PV so i hope they also utilize it in the actual anime).]

rather than epsiode 22, i think episode 24 of apocrypha should be the ones that used as the standard for action scene for Babylonia, but for some reason this got overshadowed by episode 22, Amakusa vs Zieg battle scenes. unlike episode 22, the battle in this episode is easier to follow since you can see the movement clearly. character lines and movement is well defined and more consistence. also when it come to hand drawn fire effects, Jeanne's La Pucelle NP scene is way better than karna's NP scene.

with all that said i can only hope that Akai and Fukushima will do justice for Babylonia. i want this change in main staff will bring drastic change to A-1's flavor Fate entry like what they did to SAO Alicization. sure they're not A-1 picture but i only wanted to say that even if some staffs was working on apocrypha, i hope they wont stick to the visual that apocrypha have set and start anew with new visual.
kyuudere

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't care about Fate. Never seen them and I feel like I'm never going to like it anyway. But if it's for the imas crew (Akai, Kouno, Takao and others), I'm ready to watch it. Although I hope it just ends with one or two cours in 2019 so the imas crew can go back to where they belong ASAP, another imas adaptation or maybe helping the inevitable sequel of The Promised Neverland.

Or maybe, 22/7 anime adaptation as soon as Shin Wakabayashi finished that BokuRobo movie (I bet it's also CloverWorks).
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

I don't remember reading anywhere that Babylon is coming first although that sounds likely. That would be a bigger problem than not animating the first 5 singularities. Then again there's no correct watching order of fate anime in general so I'm sure the anime people will just watch what they will and bitch about elitist tm-fans like they've done up till now.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
The singularities are mostly self contained. I doubt they will have any trouble making Babylonia work fine as a stand alone. Babylonia may reference names like spoiler[Solomon], but they don't play a direct role in the events. Mash's development isn't a big part of Babylonia. That is less true of Camelot, but they're probably going to have to rush through a lot anyway to fit it into a few movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1