• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bloomberg: Japan Mobile Games Lose Market Share to Chinese, S. Korean Games

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I can somewhat relate. The games are fun and actually quite addicting but what sells it for me at least is the equality of the characters. Female characters get the same chances as male characters & it’s relatively cheap to buy items for summoning characters.

And Onmyoji & Food Fantasy seem to be a major fan favorite over at pixiv
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
I can somewhat relate. The games are fun and actually quite addicting but what sells it for me at least is the equality of the characters. Female characters get the same chances as male characters & it’s relatively cheap to buy items for summoning characters.

But is there a Japanese equivalent?
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I think there is a major mistake in the article or something was lost in translation

-Mixi's Monster Strike game has earned US$1.9 billion since 2013 to become the most profitable smartphone game app yet. GungHo Online Entertainment's Puzzle & Dragons has earned US$6.9 billion since 2012.

How is Monster Strike which earner 1.9 bln more profitable than PADs 6.9 bln?
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:

But is there a Japanese equivalent?

Japanese equivalent of what? If you mean to compare gatcha games, then look on the google play store or Apple`s store.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
I've definitely seen the Chinese mobile games taking the top and rising. Some of them appeal to China of course, but games like Onmyouji use JP culture and are popular across Asia (and parts of the West).

I feel like JP mobile gaming has been on a steady trend of growth, in terms of creativity and all, but I can see how they're going to hit saturation.

Seems like it could all be very complex, but at the end of the day, maybe over-reliance on gacha (and sometimes, brand name?) also hurts some of these games?
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:19 am Reply with quote
I don't know what to say, Japan falling its smartphone trend to an Korea and China is no sense to me at all.

Did Korea and China defeated Japan over its smartphone, because they are known for large amount of innovations than Japan had?
Rednimue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 am Reply with quote
Ok Japanese game developers, it's time to stop going after the mobile trend and go back to what you have always done best ... Full fledged console games and let the koreans and the chinese develop crappy mobile games Very Happy
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:36 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if this was, at least in part, simply due to the fact that most Japanese smartphone games are region-locked which puts a pretty severe limitation on their user base. I play a number of them but I have to sideload the apks - something most people won't bother to do (or are not able to do, if they lack the know-how). Sure, a few of them have been released in other regions with localizations and all, but most of them are Japan only. Meanwhile, in my experience Chinese or Korean mobage are not region locked, which makes it possible for them to address a much wider audience.

So yet again market shows that insularity and stubborn refusal to get on with the times will eventually prove a disadvantage...
#sukkar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
I don't know what to say, Japan falling its smartphone trend to an Korea and China is no sense to me at all.

Did Korea and China defeated Japan over its smartphone, because they are known for large amount of innovations than Japan had?

I can't really speak to the success of Chinese pop culture and goods, but Korean things are absolutely in vogue at the moment and have been for a few years now. So much so that I'd argue they've got a stronger presence around the world than anime.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
#sukkar wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:

I can't really speak to the success of Chinese pop culture and goods, but Korean things are absolutely in vogue at the moment and have been for a few years now. So much so that I'd argue they've got a stronger presence around the world than anime.

Korea has K-Pop, K-Drama and MMORPG while China has amzing culture and historical presevations. But yeah, i wonder if Chinese Pop culture will start rival Japanese & Korean Pop culture too?
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
I think there is a major mistake in the article or something was lost in translation

-Mixi's Monster Strike game has earned US$1.9 billion since 2013 to become the most profitable smartphone game app yet. GungHo Online Entertainment's Puzzle & Dragons has earned US$6.9 billion since 2012.

How is Monster Strike which earner 1.9 bln more profitable than PADs 6.9 bln?

Somehow that number got copied down wrong. Monster Strike made 7.1 billion. It's been corrected, thanks!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Rednimue wrote:
Ok Japanese game developers, it's time to stop going after the mobile trend and go back to what you have always done best ... Full fledged console games and let the koreans and the chinese develop crappy mobile games Very Happy

Don't know if that's pure snark but they haven't been too strong in that area since the 90's and early part of this millennium so that won't be much of out for them either.
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
The government just needs to start banning games from those countries, problem solved.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Rednimue wrote:

Don't know if that's pure snark but they haven't been too strong in that area since the 90's and early part of this millennium so that won't be much of out for them either.

I don't know where you were during the whole 6th generation (PS2, Xbox, GC) but the Japanese developers' decline started during the 7th generation (Xbox 360, Ps3, Wii) and one of the main reason was/is the rising of the mobile games market ... they were still going strong on both home and portable consoles up until 2005 - 2006
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
If Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Nier Automata, Bloodborne, Persona 3-5, Dragon Quest VIII and Resident Evil 7 are garbage, I'd like to know what are some good games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2