• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bloom Into You (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:52 am Reply with quote
I will save my thoughts for the episode review thread, but I loved this episode to bits.

Yuu is well into the ‘protests too much’ stage at this point, even with her internal monologue Wink.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Looks like Nanami has some unhealthy sides to her, that some focus on Yuu may have been a fear of being just too close, at least based on the end. Nanami trying to become her sister is also bad, although trying to finish the play is I think some catharsis for her.

Yuu's panic of the chance that Nanami may have run from her, also seems that she continues to not know what that means.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Looks like Yuu is finally aware of, and experiencing feelings for Nanami, becoming entranced by her in the relay. It made self conscious when Nanami asked her to kiss her, that it was not the same thing as she might have thought up till now. And when Nanami then kissed her, it was different, it was shocking, that Nanami thought Yuu may have disliked it, but it was the opposite. Against Yuu's rationalizations that the heartbeat she felt was Nanami's, it was in fact her own.

It was also pretty hot. Location makes me think of this Seitokai Yakuindomo bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaYMdlT3m9M
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Now that is a twist, with Nanami being told possibly the worst thing (or best if it helps things in the end). The responsible sister she knew, who she modelled her entire persona off of as to in a way live her life, is somewhat of a lie. Nanami's sister was apparently pretty irresponsible, doing things like making the rest of the student council help her finish her summer homework, while being particularly good at the public event stuff where she able to make people believe herself as wholly responsible. Or really, the exact opposite of her in that Nanami can be responsible, but struggles with some of the high pressure public stuff. Being told that she is nothing like the sister that she spent her life trying to emulate, is going to be tough on her, it kind of feels like a risk she might do something drastic.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah I'm curious how she'll react too. The first thing she did was pretty good: after multiple nudges from Sayaka she actually opened up to her friend.
I really loved this twist, it felt pretty realistic.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
It was great, except Sayaka’s entire problem is, again, that she’s more than happy to keep the status quo in every single aspect of their lives just to stay close to Nanami. She is being a good friend, yes, but she would rather maintain the entire facade, illustrated by her thoughts during the overnight portion of camp (and all her actions to this point, honestly), than see Nanami face up to anything.

It’s the reason that Yuu is better for her in the end - Yuu cares enough to want Nanami to be her own person. Sayaka just wants Nanami to be whatever Nanami wants, without considering if it’s even healthy. And after the revelations of this episode it was probably exactly the wrong thing for her to hear.

Great episode as usual! Lots of fun comedy in the first section, just before Nanami’s world gets shattered. They’re probably going to pull this off; it looks like some of the Akari and Koyomi side stuff from the manga is getting cut. It was really good but not essential to the main story. Next episode is probably spoiler[aquarium date and the play ending change] leading to the finale.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
Sayaka was trying her hardest to get out of the status quo thingy though. She pressed further when Nanami said that nothing happened, and got into an actual conversation about Nanami's sister, which she would've never done before.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Hmm, interesting, we did not finish on the all too important play that kept being mentioned, although hopefully that line at the end of needing to change trains, could be taken as another season to complete the series. What we got instead was plenty, such as the second half being a date between Yuu and Nanami, because it did feel like a promise for the premise. They totally enjoyed themselves, and regardless of roles and such, they sure look like they can be happy together. Earlier parts included like café owner asking her girlfriend, the teacher, if she is more into men or something, and just seemed more that maybe not full on lesbian rather than bi, but she is really into her girlfriend.

I don't really have any authority to say it, but I think that this was a yuri anime that did not fetishize lesbians, and was more respectful. I am comparing it to the likes of Sasameki Koto, my previous top runner for best yuri anime. Especially at the end had this sort of wanting to help the partner, but don't need to actually force and change them. Even though Yuu said that she wanted to change Nanami, it was a kind of have her figure herself out way, that she does not need to focus on any one way she has presented herself to others. A reviewer I was watching talked about how Nanami's lover side that she shows Yuu is in some ways childish, it was like how we saw her interact with her sister up to when she died, and Nanami had not really let that side of her mature and grow. And I think for the look of Yuu, she maybe has a soft spot for Nanami's childish side that she shows only Yuu, but it is not all that Nanami is.

Yuu was clearly in love with Nanami, especially at the end, but there is this fear that Nanami will outright run away from Yuu if Yuu reveals that she love her. Because Nanami's self hatred is certainly at an unhealthy level, and overcoming that will be a bit of a journey. I feel tempted to look up what might happen, I think that it sounds like the play will be a big part, whether it is going to have Nanami change for the better in liking herself, or it could have Nanami totally shut down from Yuu showing her hand. This story is not finished, it ended sweet here, but I feel kind of braced for drama, and regardless of how this might hopefully continue I want the Band-Aid ripped quickly.

A nice looking show, that had music that complemented itself nicely, and understated voice acting. Not every anime has to do something crazy and fantasy or paranormal, something like this that can keep attention with just normal people can be fine. Choices to do things like point of view shots and reflections in eyes, was pretty inspired, and felt like it got us into the heads of the characters, regardless of how these may have been in the source material, it did feel like good direction. I give this a rating of Very good (8/10), don't miss it, with the proviso that I do want a conclusion eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2