• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Detective Conan (Case Closed) (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't change what I think about Momiji Ooka being an oddly late addition to the plot but I just watched Movie 21- The Crimson Love Letter and discovered she (and Iori) was introduced in the movie along with her back story.

The fact that a unique movie plot (not covered in Aoyama's manga) is so entwined with the regular plot is certainly new. The plot of the movie is also strong, with decent tricks.
And of course, because it is a movie, features two laugh out loud outrageous action set pieces complete with building destroying explosions and daring and physically impossible escapes.

Definitely recommended.

The New Years Kaito Kid story was typically fun and inconsequential. I guess it might set up a small conflict with Kaito and Subaru though. Since Kaito has once aided in a Black Org arc once I guess it might mean we''ll get him working in a bigger case again later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:51 am Reply with quote
889-90

Wait, the Detective Boys have a school advisor? It seemed to surprise the adults, but the kids didn't blink, other than Conan noting she seemed upset about the wrong thing. Also, Conan sure was cavalier in revealing to an adult that he's got a freakin' tranquilizer gun! Rolling Eyes

So is she B.O. or yet another FBI/CIA/NSA agent watching Conan? Very Happy He's already got like 4 of them in his orbit now, right?

The more people that get added to the list of people who know Conan's open secret, the more it ticks me off that he won't tell Rin. I mean there are also like 3 or 4 B.O. people who know, so I can't see how her knowing would put her in any more danger than she's already in without even realizing it to be cautious about.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
901-902

About time they get Eri back into the show! Other than flashback episodes she hasn't appeared since... 770-771! It just hit me that maybe Aoyama is asking she be kept out of the anime original episodes, otherwise it seems odd that they wouldn't be making the occasional episode surrounding her cases. They made 2 or 3 of those many years ago featuring a prosecutor rival of hers and they were IMO amongst the best anime original episodes they've had. Faithful to the mystery aspect of the show but focused on courtroom mysteries that Aoyama doesn't cover often, if ever. Definitely a breath of fresh air from the tourism board of Japan episodes and "who gets kidnapped this time" episodes.

And this was certainly a good pair of episodes. Other than the odd mistake of not searching the room for other attackers initially Eri kicked all sorts of butt. The search was smart and done well and ended with Mouri acting like a man and Ran like the stuff of creep's nightmares.
Bringing Ran's suspicions of Conan's smarts was a great touch too. Yes, she has been shown "proof" they are different people but those suspicions would still linger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
909-910 Mystery of the Burning Tent

That was pretty decent, though it was kind of implausible that Kuroda would be peeping on everyone while still having earplugs in. Wouldn't he want to hear what little might come across to him? Also, everyone was remarkably oblivious to a fully engulfed tent until they smelled smoke. Shocked

Wakasa might actually be crazy, but it really is a good strategy to appear crazy (or at least behave in radically unexpected ways) in front of adversaries as she did. I've used that successfully myself!

I'm having fun watching the little dance Conan, Ai, Kuroda and Wakasa are engaged in. And we got one more tiny puzzle piece with her blind eye. Too bad it will probably be another 2-3 months before we see the latter two again.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:56 am Reply with quote
912 The Detective Boys Become Models

OMG, Medici is a murderer! And Mars just sat there and watched. Tsk tsk...

This was actually a pretty good episode for a Detective Boys ep. I loved Mitsuhiko being annoyed with Takagi for not being a mind reader. "We wanted you to know without us telling you!" Even Conan's giving him a death stare.

Next week, "Conan Kidnapped, Part 476."
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
^^^
(a week late)

"Conan is a witness in a Murder Case?"

Me: I think you're going to have to be a little more specific.... are we talking the morning murder or the evening murder? ....You say an artist's apprentice may have killed his master? Oh come on now, that's happened about a dozen times last month!

But I did like it overall.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:05 am Reply with quote
918 "Mini-Patrol Car Police's Big Chase"

This was as bland as Detective Boys episodes usually are, but it pushed my buttons big time. I always hate it when people are hiding but still shout at each other like normal instead of whispering or not talking at all. This episode took that to a new level of annoyance, with the kids all shouting at Genta through his radio tracker badge, as if the kidnappers were deaf. Aside from that, there was no reason to even talk to him, since they could hear the kidnappers talking (so more info than Genta could give them) and Conan could track them with his glasses. Or he could until they practically begged the kidnappers to destroy the badge. They even did this after Conan made a point of the need to be quiet! Oy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
919-920 "High School Girl Trio's Secret Cafe"

The case was pretty ordinary, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Conan be so obsessed with what the girls were up to, and extra grumpy for not being able to figure it out.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I was able to see Detective Conan Movie 22 Zero the Enforcer tonight.

good story. Tells you a lot about Toru. Maybe lacks a good resolution for a lead suspect- maybe shows in a future movie? Maybe explained in the extra long manga adaptation?

But damn... has anyone ever tried ranking just how ridiculously stupid and hilariously preposterous the action sequences in each of the movies are?
I mean, they're ALL impossible by multiple factors... making the silliest James Bond stunts seem like a jump over a puddle, but how bad are each comparably? this one may have the second most unrealistic use of a Conan soccer ball and best (ie impossible) feat of marksmanship. Akai couldn't hit with a steady rifle what Conan hits with his super shoe and a soccer ball... while falling amid explosions and such/

I'm pretty sure Toru is dead though... that is NOT a normal amount of blood smeared all over the floor... oh wait, never mind.... he just banged his shoulder.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
I know. It didn't even seem to hurt him the next day. The riding the rails bit was pretty sweet though. Smile

This has all gotten so complicated that I can't remember who is secretly who and whether the anime has revealed that yet. In other words, I can't tell if I'm reading a spoiler or not. I stopped midway, and went to look up all of Amuro's aliases, and I only recalled one, but apparently at least one other has previously been revealed in the anime. I knew he was spoiler[Bourbon, but until this movie I didn't know he was also a cop. I think everyone in the Black Organization, except maybe Gin, is actually some flavor of undercover law enforcement.] Laughing Which come to think of it, is kind of the plot of this movie with the Collaborators...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I know. It didn't even seem to hurt him the next day. The riding the rails bit was pretty sweet though. Smile

This has all gotten so complicated that I can't remember who is secretly who and whether the anime has revealed that yet. In other words, I can't tell if I'm reading a spoiler or not. I stopped midway, and went to look up all of Amuro's aliases, and I only recalled one, but apparently at least one other has previously been revealed in the anime. I knew he was spoiler[Bourbon, but until this movie I didn't know he was also a cop. I think everyone in the Black Organization, except maybe Gin, is actually some flavor of undercover law enforcement.] Laughing Which come to think of it, is kind of the plot of this movie with the Collaborators...

I know it's not a spoiler, but for the life of me I couldn't remember when it was first explicitly stated... Had to look it up. It was in The Scarlet Return anime 779-783. The arc where the show also finally admits that spoiler[Subaru is Shuichi Akai]. I think Conan figured out that he might be trustworthy as far back as that confusing Mystery Train story where everyone was impersonating everyone else on a train.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
Ongoing discussion post...

I posted this in a talkback thread in response to Gosho Aoyama's most recent manga hiatus (and Tooru side-story fill-in). The spoiler below is about a development that hasn't been revealed in the anime yet.

-----------

Manga writers aren't machines. After becoming manga writers I wonder how many wish they could become novelists instead. Given almost all the time in the word needed to research and relax and do other things.

Personally, I'd love it if he took time out to research new motives for his criminals. Really, how many times must we be given "The victim's actions caused my loved ones to suffer/die so I secretly got near him and took my time coming up with a foolproof way to kill him/her without possibly being caught" or "Sensei stole my work, so I took my time coming up with a foolproof way to kill him/her without possibly being caught."

As for the ongoing aspect... A couple years ago I thought that maybe he was gearing up for an end game (stopping at 1000 cases? 100 books?)... but he just keeps adding more mysterious back stories (Like 5 aspects of The Akai family?... Rum?)....instead of closing them down. Sure, in the manga they apparently have finally spoiler[given an identity to the leader of the Black Organization] but as far as I can tell it's actually a tiny thing really because spoiler[it's the identity of someone so obscure, barely mentioned, and presumed dead for so long that it tells you nothing of his actual current identity.] Really, they could have done it in year one and it would have changed nothing.

So it can still go on forever. And that does bug me. We're not talking about a western superhero or prime-time family comedy sitcom, we're talking about a story that should have a beginning, middle, and end... but the middle is never-ending!

The good thing I see coming out of these hiatuses is that if they can get enough of the "Tea Time" stories they can animate and plug those into the Conan time slot as specials instead of endless anime-only originals.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
933-4 The Thoroughbred Kidnapping Case

Speaking of poorly thought out motives, the culprit in this case had a pretty weak one. spoiler[His payout from the insurance he was after wouldn't nearly equal, let alone surpass, the stud fees he'd get from a winning stallion.] Also, would he really be able to spoiler[take out a policy when the horse was already missing?] Right...nothing suspicious about that!

Nice episodes though. I especially enjoyed Mori showing his awareness of how odd his sleeping persona is. "Is this it? Usually it happens earlier than this...zzzzz." Plus triple the usual amount of "You told me to do this, Mori" bits to confound him. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
940 - The Missing Girlfriend

This was a pretty good one, and we haven't had one of those in quite awhile. I really liked the happy ending for once, and it had a several surprising twists, none of which I saw coming.

Lol at Mouri tossing Conan into the raging river, even if it was an accident. When's he going to learn to leave the kid be instead of dangling him by the scruff of the neck like a kitten? And quick thinking, Ran! You go girl!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
940 - The Missing Girlfriend

This was a pretty good one, and we haven't had one of those in quite awhile.

Oh don't say that. Ever since my quasi-rant above I got burned out on anime originals and haven't watched ANY Conan since January (all filler). But my completist nature says I will watch them... and it's going to be painful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8