• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Conception?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
This anime can't be that bad, right?

*checks MAL score*

Quote:

...it's that bad.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
To be honest the more vulgar and ridiculous the better it becomes for me. While the plot and characters are plainly bad and stereotyped, i really like how straightforward and devoid of filter Conception is, it's one of those "So bad it's good", Mana/Itsuki duo never failed to make me laught.

Last edited by Yune Amagiri on Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching this show since I played Conception 2, and that has helped a bit since I've gone into having an idea of what to expect, but the show is a mess. It doesn't have enough time to devote to the characters, so it jumps in with a "here's your harem because reasons," and what time it does spend on the characters and relationships ends up pushing the premise of dealing with the Labyrinth into a seemingly minor detail. I know it's ultimately promotional material for the game's remaster release, but it somehow manages to make neither the dating-sim or the dungeon crawling parts seem interesting.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
This show has no redeeming qualities, but as someone who is watching it week to week, it’s enough of a laugh for me. I will say that I do appreciate how Itsuki is generally all about the comfort of the girls as opposed to pushing them into doing something they don’t want to do. So, I can’t hate it outright.

I will also generally put up with a lot for a favorite seiyuu, and I love Ono Yuuki. So. /shrugs
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Shame it's not bad enough I guess? But yeah, it sounds like it should dedicated itself to either being just softcore hentai or so bad its good to at least achieve something worth watching. I will say those crotch shoot were funny, I think an anime that tried to have the main character crotch in every shoot would be pretty fumy just for the wacky shoot it would take.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I've been watching this show since I played Conception 2, and that has helped a bit since I've gone into having an idea of what to expect, but the show is a mess. It doesn't have enough time to devote to the characters, so it jumps in with a "here's your harem because reasons," and what time it does spend on the characters and relationships ends up pushing the premise of dealing with the Labyrinth into a seemingly minor detail. I know it's ultimately promotional material for the game's remaster release, but it somehow manages to make neither the dating-sim or the dungeon crawling parts seem interesting.

I need an actual gamer to confirm this: some audiences claim there are no ridiculous “love ritual” and other anime-original nonsense in the game, is that true? I mean, given how badly the director messes up his other game adaptations, I am not surprised at all
Cab329

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, that’s the thing, barely anyone talks about Conception 1 so it could have something like that.

The demo of Conception 2 made it more so the ritual was like a magical girl transformation sequence with multiple people. Least, that’s how I recall it.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to assume this one was written before yesterday's episode because oh boy does that one go off the reservation, even for this show's already sketchy standards.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Seen the anime around and was curious about this article. Ehhhh. In the end, I would love to play the game. Personally, I like harem games. (Ironically not reverse harem because of my biological sex....)

I always saw on a lot of social media sites that people use this anime for out of context screenshots. That and I will 10000% agree that Nano is an underrated artist.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

I need an actual gamer to confirm this: some audiences claim there are no ridiculous “love ritual” and other anime-original nonsense in the game, is that true? I mean, given how badly the director messes up his other game adaptations, I am not surprised at all

I'm basing this on Conception 2, though I'm pretty sure it is the same for both games, but in that one there was a ritual that happens, which mostly comes off more like, "if a mommy and a daddy wish really hard, a baby is born" than anything. The two (or more) basically focus energy into the matryoshka doll and how good the kid is depends on how well the dating sim part is going. Conception 2 doesn't get anywhere close to what I'd call explicit, which is why I figured episode 2 would open with a reveal that they were pulling a fake out.

I'd say Conception 2, at least, is better than what we're getting from the anime. It helps a lot that it has the time to devote to both the RPG and dating-sim sides, but even then it didn't have a dozen girls, so it's possible that Spike Chunsoft realized 12 was too many, even for a game.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Wait, they don't even have sex?! What's the friggin' [/i]point[/i]?!

I saw the first episode out of curiosity. It was mostly bland. Like it was supposed to be a hentai, but had to get around censors or something. I do agree with Rahzel Rose that the show deserves credit for showing that Itsuki cares about the girls' comfort levels. Anime seems to have two extremes of ecchi protag guys: the boy who's too awkward or timid to even ask and gets all his ecchi moments by accident (while the girls' are *hilariously* (:eyeroll:) offended and are portrayed as the butt of the joke and/or violent and unreasonable) or the boy who's brazen and cocky and neither asks nor apologizes and couldn't care less if a girl slaps him or runs away. It's nice to see a boy who's neither freaked out by the opposite sex nor inconsiderate of his partners.

But, again, why aren't they having sex if the point is Conception?

OrdepNM wrote:
I'm going to assume this one was written before yesterday's episode because oh boy does that one go off the reservation, even for this show's already sketchy standards.

Now I'm curious! What happened in yesterdays episode???
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It's REALLY bad, but I keep watching it because it has this nostalgic feel for when I was 12 and everything sexual was just ~ soooo dirty ~ and HILARIOUS and everything was an innuendo, but I was also 100% clueless about it. That's really its only appeal to me. I guess the animation is ok and the girls have cute designs? But there really is hardly any fanservice … even if they take out censoring on a Blu-ray it wouldn't be that much.

I am in the minority, but the horny racoon cracks me up just enough to make it through an episode without getting bored.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Wait, they don't even have sex?! What's the friggin' [/i]point[/i]?!

I saw the first episode out of curiosity. It was mostly bland. Like it was supposed to be a hentai, but had to get around censors or something. I do agree with Rahzel Rose that the show deserves credit for showing that Itsuki cares about the girls' comfort levels. Anime seems to have two extremes of ecchi protag guys: the boy who's too awkward or timid to even ask and gets all his ecchi moments by accident (while the girls' are *hilariously* (:eyeroll:) offended and are portrayed as the butt of the joke and/or violent and unreasonable) or the boy who's brazen and cocky and neither asks nor apologizes and couldn't care less if a girl slaps him or runs away. It's nice to see a boy who's neither freaked out by the opposite sex nor inconsiderate of his partners.

But, again, why aren't they having sex if the point is Conception?

OrdepNM wrote:

Now I'm curious! What happened in yesterdays episode???

spoiler[He woos one of the girls literally with Stockholm Syndrome - he accidentally knocks her over and she gets knocked out and Mana's idea is to keep her imprisoned so she depends on the MC to feed her and take care of her and then she likes him enough to *notfuck* him to make a star child. It's only not disturbing because the MC is (not surprisingly) [expletive] awful at it and there are some really good visual gags - including that the other chick keeps coming in and out of the storeroom since it's her bakery, so she obviously isn't THAT imprisoned.]

Also another thought - isn't this whole thing just advertisement for a game? I'm assuming it's going to have an English release and that's why Funi is dubbing it. Kind of like with Island? (Another terrible show that didn't deserve a simuldub).
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Is Shitsekai a recognized genre yet?

It sounds so simple I'd have to assume it's a real genre description now. I'd think this fits perfectly.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
This show doesn't deserve any coverage. Perhaps make one for Anima Yell? It's a very well done CGDCT show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2