• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
False PM alert email?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningCount

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I got an email from [email protected] saying I had a new private message, but when I click the link in the email or sign in and go to private messages via the site, there are zero new messages in the inbox. Is this normal? A copy of the email is below and it looks legit:

Quote:
Hello LightningCount,

You have received a new private message to your account on "Anime News Network" and you have requested that you be notified on this event. You can view your new message by clicking on the following link:

[Link to Private Messages is listed here]

Remember that you can always choose not to be notified of new messages by changing the appropriate setting in your profile.

--
If you require support, please post on the Bugs & Technical Questions forum. If you are unable to post, please e-mail [email protected].

Thank you,
Anime News Network

Thanks for your help.
hugonun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Does the link to the private message links to animenewsnetwork.com or a phishing website?
LightningCount

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
hugonun wrote:
Does the link to the private message links to animenewsnetwork.com or a phishing website?

The link is as follows. (I didn't include it originally in case it was tied to personal account info or was phony, but it looks to be generic and legit upon further inspection, and it does indeed seem to take one to a secure log-in at ANN's website):

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/privmsg.php?folder=inbox

Is it possible for someone to unsend a PM? Maybe that's what happened? Or could it have been a glitch notification of someone quoting me, not PMing me, from the Area 88 review conversation? Because I got it yesterday after posting in that thread.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it possible for someone to unsend a PM? Maybe that's what happened?

Yes, it is possible, and that's my best guess as to what happened.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1