• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bloom Into You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I don't really agree that it doesn't make sense in the story. Yes it is an activity that goes beyond what a student council normally does and could be challenging to accomplish, but it is emblematic of how Touko is trying to go above and beyond like her overachieving sister. If it were an easier lift, it may still communicate that she is trying to be like her sister, but it would not highlight how problematic that desire is in this case. And of all the projects they could do that would convey that, I'm not sure there is any better fit that a play. If anything, trying to pick a different activity for the sake of being different would make less sense than going with a common component of a common event in Japanese high school life, at least as it is presented in anime.

Touko desire doesn't matter, she didn't start it. The question is, why would any student council ever start this tradition in the first place? Like I said, anyone who ever run an event like this would understand that it's simply impossible, you'd end up with two much poorer activity for it (or would have to off load the quasi totality of one onto some other group, which just defeat the point in the first place). This is anime-y in the worst sense.
otagirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer doesn't seem to have watched the post-credit Touko monologue.
It is the biggest revelation so far and didn't even get any mention.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Touko desire doesn't matter, she didn't start it. The question is, why would any student council ever start this tradition in the first place?

BECAUSE
THEY
COULD
AND
WANTED
Fin.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Touko desire doesn't matter, she didn't start it. The question is, why would any student council ever start this tradition in the first place? Like I said, anyone who ever run an event like this would understand that it's simply impossible, you'd end up with two much poorer activity for it (or would have to off load the quasi totality of one onto some other group, which just defeat the point in the first place). This is anime-y in the worst sense.
Why would Touko's desire doesn't matter? This is her story you're seeing, and by seeing other people's stories, it's only natural to...watch their stories unfold. If you don't like it, might as well watch another story you're interested in or make your own. Also, your later assertion comes off as totally uncalled for because this student council doesn't exist in the reality we're in and hence, whatever standards you're applying to them doesn't count. Heck, the author could even make them a mecha builder for that matter and would be succeeded in making a fully usable robot after a month, and it'd still be plausible if the setting in their universe allows so. Also, the student council in Bloom into You have 5 people, and if you'd at least wait until later episode to complaint about the unrealism, you'll see that all the members struggle to accomplish a lot of tasks. They didn't take it as a cheap shot and Yuu even said that there's too much works. It's not like the student council doesn every little things anyway. There are a lot more people and different association in that school. You do realized people can collaborate with each other, right? You sounds like you're complaining just for the sake of it.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote
Just to remember.
The student council only acts.
Everything else is done by other clubs willingly.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:
The reviewer doesn't seem to have watched the post-credit Touko monologue.
It is the biggest revelation so far and didn't even get any mention.

I do talk about it, I guess I didn't see it as quite as big of a revelation? It seems pretty consistent with what's been established about Touko and her relationship with Yuu so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
God, that riverbed scene looked gorgeous; it looked like something KyoAni could pull off easily. It's rather fascinating how this episode got a special ending; I wonder what the next arc will be now that Touko's past is revealed. Seriously, hers and Yuu's relationship is something I don't usually see, yuri or whatnot. Definitely want to see how much further they can grow as a couple.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

I understand that this comment doesn't quite work with other people, because it's mostly me joking to myself.
I had heard about this manga for a long time, so when I decided to watch (and read) I had that image about the characters, about Touko being "the seme" and Yuu "the uke". As we can see its the contrary. Not only that, all the characters are very direct and active.
So "manly" in the sense of "active", not a "shy delicate shoujo flower".

Oh is that all. I was kind of suspecting as much, but I was mostly assuming there was more to it than just the typical seme/uke dynamic. This due to me having taken an recent interest in a concept known as the The Greek Archetyes and how it relates to gender. I'm am not expecting you know about this concept, but I thought it would be something interesting to delve into involving the characters of Bloom into You.

Aquasakura wrote:

Koyomi is best girl.

Is she now? Anime smile I'm looking forward to seeing how much she shines in this story.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Atarakay wrote:

To people who were expecting a wholesome love story I'd encourage you to not have those expectations (you'll probably find it more enjoyable), this is a character focused drama that explores what love means and what it means to love. These characters don't have a well formed perceptions about love and so their relationship won't be entirely healthy.

I believe someone warn use about this before, and after watching the end this last week's episode I can see what that person was coming from. The fact Touko wants to have this one sided relationship with Yuu all the while Yuu wants to feel this kind of affection towards Touko is showing that these two are not fully on the same page (not to mention it seems like Touko wants to use Yuu in the way with that whole thing about shackling her in love or something like that), and that this is a sign that there relationship is possibly going to go down hill in the future.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Quote:
Saeki notices Yuu's reluctance to share the existence of her creative-writer friend with the group, and then suggests where Yuu can start searching for information on the student council's history while reminding her that Touko doesn't need another minder.

I am suspecting that Saeki is beginning to catch on on to Yuu relationship with Touko. She certainly has been looking a bit suspicious towards the two of them for some time now. I am wondering what's going to happen when Saeki learn the truth about these two. I can imagine she is not going to take it well.

Quote:
As much as Bloom Into You tries to frame Yuu as exceptional for being the only one that Touko opens up to, it's clear that others have noticed the cracks in her façade as well. Saeki directly tells Yuu that Touko's confidence is a "front," encouraging Yuu to research the club's past for herself. (This is even before Yuu knows just how intertwined that past is with Touko's personal history.) It's another way that Bloom Into You injects some realism into familiar romance tropes. Rarely is there just one person we show our "true selves" to; instead, that can come out bit by bit when interacting with others.

That is so true. The more you spend time with someone the deeper you get to understand who they are including their weaknesses or troubles that are not so obvious on the surface.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 am Reply with quote
Saeki definitely has strong feelings about Touko and Touko plus Yuu. I’ll be interested to see how the anime handles it, but she is one of the best cases of the story zigging when you think it will zag and these characters feeling like actual human beings rather than plot devices.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:

Aquasakura wrote:

Koyomi is best girl.

Is she now? Anime smile I'm looking forward to seeing how much she shines in this story.

What do you mean, "now"?
I immediately liked her for unknown reasons. Luck me, she has her part in this story, she will play an essential role in the next episode(s) and after that she even has her own little personal story that further develops the core drama/theme.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
^ Nothing really. I was all a part of a comment to your last statement.

Also I am glad to learn Kiyomi has her own personal story. Now I feel like I want to read the manga even more,Anime smile but I can't at this time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Introducing the Riko-Miyako relationship is the moment the manga really landed for me, completely shutting down the idea that this is a Class-S-only world. If anything, the anime handles this even better. In the manga, Sayaka's flashback occurred during her conversation with Miyako. In the anime, the flashback occurs by itself early in the episode, as if to propose the premise that girls loving girls is just a phase of youth. As a result, introducing an adult same-sex couple after that is a clear-as-day rejection of the idea.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Sayaka is nothing like what you expect of her, at least as much as I’ve read in the manga thus far. Her major problem is that she is more in love with the ideal Touko, rather than the real one. There are no real villains in Bloom Into You. I just don’t think she cares the way Yuu does.

The first names thing and Yuu teasing the crap out of Touko over it were great. I love when Yuu acts playful about that stuff.

Koyomi great as usual and the adult couple are also fantastic. This show being slow never bothers me because if I like all the characters enough it can take it’s sweet time getting wherever it likes.

Really enjoyed the cut to the ED on this one too, and the animation of one Touko hiding behind the other. Nice touches.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Introducing the Riko-Miyako relationship is the moment the manga really landed for me, completely shutting down the idea that this is a Class-S-only world. If anything, the anime handles this even better. In the manga, Sayaka's flashback occurred during her conversation with Miyako. In the anime, the flashback occurs by itself early in the episode, as if to propose the premise that girls loving girls is just a phase of youth. As a result, introducing an adult same-sex couple after that is a clear-as-day rejection of the idea.

Changing the order of that flashback was a way to dumb down the narrative, revealing ahead of time what Sayaka was really thinking and desiring from Touko instead of letting us wonder while watching the episode.
It's not necessarily better IMO, just easier to understand.

But the direction... many little details may be obvious to understand, but that scene at the cafe was really well directed full of little precious details and symbolism at every cut.
Florete

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
The following isn't really a "spoiler" per se, but I'm talking about the manga so I figured I'll do this out of courtesy.

spoiler[There's an interlude scene in the manga that technically happens later but would have fit in this episode quite well (the scene where Touko gets a recipe and sleeping picture of Yuu from Yuu's sister also happened later in the manga, so there's already precedent). While I would have liked to see it animated (and it might just happen later), at first I was thinking it was cute, but not really all that important. However, after reading this review, it might actually have been more important than I was giving it credit for, which makes it a bit of a shame that it was (probably) not animated. I'll describe it under the next spoiler.]

spoiler[Sayaka is waiting for Touko at the train station when she bumps into that old senpai of hers. Senpai tries to apologize for making Sayaka not "normal." This prompts a pretty dirty look from Sayaka. Touko arrives and Sayaka grabs her arm all couple-like, basically to give off the impression in a pretty smug manner that she does, in fact, still like girls. (This is just a quick summary, of course, there's more to the scene than this)]

Love this series, loving these weekly reviews. Keep it up!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8