• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Pokemon Fever!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and this site is also called Anime News Network and focuses quite heavily on Japanese-pop-culture-adjacent things.

That doesn't mean non-Japanese news is banned from being posted here ever. The whole "Japanese stuff only" argument has been denounced by Zac and the other staff members, and I think that's for the best.

Detective Pikachu movie: All I can say about the movie is there's a reason big or cartoony eyes don't work in real life. O_O

Quote:
What do you all plan to be playing over the weekend?

Probably Warrior All-Stars so I can unlock the last couple of endings. I really need to wrap that game up and get back to Yakuza 0.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with you not talking about the Video Game Awards as they are completely predictable and offer no sort of value. Plus this column is already fantastic!

I'm still not sold on Pokemon Lets Go... As fun as it may be for an hour or two, i just cant see the entertainment lasting long.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Pokémon Let's Go! sounds like a great game to play co-op with younger relatives. Possibly a little disappointing that there are no held items or abilities, but I guess we never had them in the original Yellow anyway.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Has it been confirmed whether the miniature Neo Geo uses microswitches on its joystick? I presume that purists would require something like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Has it been confirmed whether the miniature Neo Geo uses microswitches on its joystick? I presume that purists would require something like this.

It doesn't, not even on the pads, which yes, some have considered a deal breaker. The upside seems to be how it apparently has a really nice screen.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Pokémon Let's Go! sounds like a great game to play co-op with younger relatives. Possibly a little disappointing that there are no held items or abilities, but I guess we never had them in the original Yellow anyway.

I'm gonna use it as training grounds for the upcoming core Pokémon game on the Switch. Haven't played a Pokémon game since Gold and Silver, and I can't wait to go back to when I was a kid.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Pokémon Let's Go! sounds like a great game to play co-op with younger relatives.

I feel like the main unstated target audience for Let's Go is parents who grew up with Pokemon. As a ~20 year old franchise, it's about the right time to start training the next generation of... trainers, so they've produced a Gen 1 remake (maximum nostalgia) with modern production-values, somewhat younger-looking protagonist characters, and most importantly, co-op mode, so that kids who are a bit too young and/or distractable to play through it on their own can play with mom/dad or an older sibling.

Thinking about getting it just because I never played the gen 1 games (started with gen 2 due to parent-imposed minimum age for video games). Eevee seems like the clear choice since Pikachu is a bit overplayed (and you can get both in the wild anyway), and because Eevee is voiced by Aoi Yuuki. Eevee has the same name in Japanese--as close as you can get with katakana, anyway--so I'm guessing they won't bother re-dubbing it?
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I played SINoALICE pretty heavily for about its first year, and I would have a very hard time recommending it to anyone. The gameplay is barely there, even at high levels, and consists mostly of grinding up weapons and rolling for rare weapons and summoned monsters (of which you can only use one per battle, so there's very little strategy to it) to get your stat totals higher. The PvP battles are even less interesting because they remove the rock-paper-scissors-style element system and buffs from character classes from the equation. The character art is great and the music is nice, but the game doesn't add much to them. There are some neat little short stories in there as well, but they're doled out very slowly and getting strong enough to see the end of most of them requires a truly unacceptable amount of grinding.

As for the SNK collection, it baffles me that the eshop listing for it doesn't actually include a full list of the games in the collection.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I really don't find the Pokemon's appearances disconcerting at all. Looks pretty much exactly what I'd expect if they wanted to make it look like they were actually with the humans in the world. If you make them look too animated, they'll just stick out like a sore thumb that they're not in the same reality as the live-action characters.

No mention of Spyro? Sad Sure, it's a remake but dang did they do a good job of it. Playing the first one now and having a blast.

I'm looking forward to Pokemon Let's Go, got both pre-ordered. Yeah, it's a different system and apparently less challenging, but I'm just excited to explore Kanto in a whole new graphical upgrade.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What do you all plan to be playing over the weekend?

The Salsa vs. Guacamole Splatfest in Splatoon 2. I'll pass on Pokémon Let's Go!, as I never played Pokémon GO. Would've probably given it a try if I had a smartphone when it was new.

Kicksville wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

It doesn't, not even on the pads, which yes, some have considered a deal breaker. The upside seems to be how it apparently has a really nice screen.

Any idea if those Neo-Geo Collection arcade machines at every laundromat and one-third of taquerías I've visited have them? I don't believe for a second they're authentic.

CastMember1991 wrote:
I'm gonna use it as training grounds for the upcoming core Pokémon game on the Switch. Haven't played a Pokémon game since Gold and Silver, and I can't wait to go back to when I was a kid.

Pokémon Let's Go! is simplified, but you're probably going to have to get used to a lot of new mechanics coming out, especially the huge amount of moves to consider and how they interact with each other. That being said, Pokémon games are very good at introducing you to them at a manageable pace. Kids get into the franchise all the time from nothing. That, and even Generation I had complicated lists, such as what bypasses Substitute. (EV-training in Generations I and II was also torture.)
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
I'm fine with you not talking about the Video Game Awards as they are completely predictable and offer no sort of value. Plus this column is already fantastic!

I'm still not sold on Pokemon Lets Go... As fun as it may be for an hour or two, i just cant see the entertainment lasting long.

The only bit of joy I ever got out of The Game Awards was Kate Higgins singing "Jump Up, Super Star!" live. Other than that, it's been a wreck
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:33 am Reply with quote
If the colum writer states that this site is for Japanese pop cultural themed, then why do they report about Western people not associated with Japanese stuff.

They reported a lots of news on western stuff like Zootopia was awared an Animated Feature Film Oscar:
animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2017-02-26/zootopia-wins-animated-feature-film-oscar/.112716

& Roblin Williams passing:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-12/comedian-actor-robin-williams-passes-away-at-63/.77541

There is even an report on ANN about K-Pop stuff like this:
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2012-07-19/otakon-presents-k-pop-group-vixx
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2012-09-25/anime-expo-and-mnet-to-co-produce-first-k-pop-cosplay-masquerade-at-kcon
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-05-18/.102220

Then how come its ANN an is an Japanese pop cultural themed when its more or an irony thingy about reporting these news past days?

(sorry for my poor English)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
With the Robin Williams thing I know part of why his death got a mention was because of his love of the Zelda franchise the other being he was a fan of anime, as for the K Pop stuff I assume that's because it has some overlap with J pop (plus they feature into anime music I guess).
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Your English is perfectly understandable!

That Zootopia article was published because, while it wasn't a Japanese movie, it beat a Ghibli film that was nominated the same year, and "Zootopia movie wins" is generally a more upbeat headline than "Ghibli film loses". Very Happy

Robin Williams was generally the highest-profile Hollywood star who wasn't ashamed to be an unabashed fan of Japanese culture. (After he died, his daughter reached out to the Twitter anime community to help identify some of the Japanese anime toys in his collection.)

Two of the K-pop articles you mentioned were related to US anime conventions, while the other contained a discussion of attempts by established US Japanese animation companies to bring Korean animation to the US.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:45 am Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate @BadNewsBlues

Yeah, i know this is related to Japan's pop culture here, it should not have reported related to Korean and Western stuff here.

ANN is more tolerated to Japan's pop culture while MAL is now an east asian related and now they have an free to discuss all about K-Pop and Chinese stuff on that site though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2