• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Too Much Fanservice Distract From SSSS.Gridman's Story?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klokei07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the fanservice is kinda weird and out of place, but it doesn't really take me out of the show as much as how the show shuffles two different tones that never mesh together.

As someone above pointed out, the show's writing is not that great or interesting but it's directed to space and beyond and that's what makes it pretty entertaining. That the plot lacks any propulsion and that everything happens around an upcoming badly-told secret/twist doesn't help either.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Does Too Much Story Distract From SSSS.Gridman's Fanservice?
Well yes, but if you are willing to look past that there is some well drawn fanservice.

This. This question is clearly worded wrong.

gpanthony wrote:
Starting and ending the article with a Freakazoid reference and then discussing the toy merchandising potential of this show with out using the term "Toyetic" makes me very sad.

So does no mention of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad.

Those are a bit ironic statements given American adaptions of toku just exist to sell toys and generally ignore everything else about the genre.

And personally I'd rather have a world where every discussion of toku doesn't needlessly bring up the bad American adaptions (even though in this case it's probably because they're too young to know about it)

I wouldn't have mentioned it, except that the SSSS in SSSS Gridman stands for Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad.... so Trigger is aware of the American version of the original.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
So are the dub team, which is why Alexis is channeling Tim Curry.
slusheep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Since most of the fanservice has been confined to that swimsuit episode, I haven't really felt like it hindered the show overall. The conflicting points brought up where fanservice distracts from any criticism Akane embodies, or undermines our ability to feel empathy for her...just don't ring true with me. The scenes are such a small part of the show that most of Akane's acting out and anxiety attacks are totally divorced from any of them, maintaining the sense of impact the show seems to be shooting for with her. With the recent plot reveal, it also seems like the ED is actually relevant to Akane's character/backstory and her relationship with Rikka, which definitely enhances my interest and empathy for both girls.

If anything, the fanservice feels like occasional staff indulgence, which isn't at all surprising with a team that designed Akane and Rikka in the first place.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm far more distracted by looking and listening for Transformers references in everything I see and hear. There's been at least one in every episode so it's hard for me not to.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Like, I'm a boob-guy, and Akane is cute, but it really does take me out of the episode when the series sets its great tone, sets up Akane's toxic manipulative attitude and them HOLD UP CHECK OUT THE GAMS ON THAT DAME Okay now we have monster fight BUT DON'T FORGET THE TIIIIIIIIITS!!!

Like, it really does undermine the show. I'm not an idiot, if I wanted Akane smut I'd just wait for Comiket to roll around. Hell, Tumblr's got me covered on the Akane lewds. (And even that's annoying--yes, Rikka's thighs are big, move on already.)
RealMTL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
From the studio that made Kill la Kill this is pretty tame tbh.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
RealMTL wrote:
From the studio that made Kill la Kill this is pretty tame tbh.

But the fanservice in KLK was much more evenly spread, we even got some manservice for good measure. Whereas here it feels like it's almost exclusively focused on Akane, i'm sure those daimakura are already getting printed... Rolling Eyes
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:24 am Reply with quote
I do wonder what those fan service moments are like for the simuldub voice actors and actresses when they record.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
No.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:11 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
What? Because of the one episode? Hardly.
Yeah, I think people are exaggerating the presence of fanservice in the show. That one episode aside and like...a small few other moments, there really isn't any fanservice? Like, Gridman is fairly straightforward in its presentation of content. I think the popularity of the leading ladies belies the fanservice.

(also if anyone really does wanna check out a tokusatsu series after this, I'd definitely recommend Kamen Rider Build as a recent series with an incredibly strong, dramatic story)
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:17 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I do wonder what those fan service moments are like for the simuldub voice actors and actresses when they record.

They don't?

There's no tripping into dicks or whatnot, any fanservice is entirely visual.

And Gridman's fanservice isn't even close to the Fairy Tail level required to knock me out of the story. Claiming a cheesecake shot of Akane disqualifies her as a character is like saying Archer's a shitty villain because you see his abs in Fate/Zero.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

you should watch The Testament of Sister New Devil and hear experienced and well respected actresses like Wendee Lee and Cindy Robinson doing some reeeeally sexy noises(hell,the OVA of season 2 is basically just about Wendee Lee moaning and doing sexy voices for the entire episode...I have to say,for someone who is almost 60,she still got it...),though Cindy Robinson has actually done hentai,so this must have been peace of cake to her in comparisson...
VerQuality

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
#sukkar wrote:
(also if anyone really does wanna check out a tokusatsu series after this, I'd definitely recommend Kamen Rider Build as a recent series with an incredibly strong, dramatic story)

Build was really good. The back half was a little weak compared to the first half, but it's definitely a good point to start on toku (with the obligatory warning about the early episodes having tons of terrible CG and toy promotion). Personally I still like Drive and Gaim better, but they do take a bit longer to really start their engines.

As far as fanservice goes, I think that's just what you should expect from Trigger at this point. Trigger shows (apart from Kiznaiver) seem to be packages of "I put this in the show because I like it", which covers fan service in all its forms, from Transformers references to bare feet. It can be distracting, sure, but I think that exuberance is just part and parcel of what makes Trigger Trigger.
Mhora

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
Women put their tits up in my face all day long irl. This seems fitting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4