• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm not sure I saw what I just saw; Why of all times did Sakuta talk to Kunimi about Futaba in the last loop?

He was pretty obviously talking about his own current situation, realizing that Tomoe had developed feelings for him. It's called asking for advice. The fact that Kunimi felt the need to ask who he was talking about implies he knows about Futaba. Maybe Sakuta also knows that he knows, which might be why he's asking his advice to begin with. The situation with Futaba is mostly irrelevant right now anyway, so it ultimately doesn't matter.

And what do you know, much like Koga's buttkicking, it does become relevant in the next arc.

I don't think anyone was expecting we'd pivot to Futaba given the cliffhanger last time, but I'm glad the show did. Mai remains relevant and best girl and I'm satisfied with their relationship continuing to progress on several fronts. (though I get the feeling we're in for a "manager says I can't date you" talk next episode)

If Kunimi does know about Futaba, this might get dicey between how temperamental his girlfriend is and how more open the second Futaba is.
Zof

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what the big deal is. He makes it perfectly clear his real girlfriend is Senjougahara.
ChaseM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
The angle with the manager for Mai could go one, two, or both ways. One way is that the manager wants her to distance herself from Sakuta like Theron mentions. Two is that fact that if I remember correctly, the manager is also Mai's mother, which means she wants to meet the boyfriend.

Like Theron, I hope that option 1 is not how things go.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
ChaseM wrote:
The angle with the manager for Mai could go one, two, or both ways. One way is that the manager wants her to distance herself from Sakuta like Theron mentions. Two is that fact that if I remember correctly, the manager is also Mai's mother, which means she wants to meet the boyfriend.

Like Theron, I hope that option 1 is not how things go.

The manager is her mother unless something wonky happened to the timeline during the previous arc.

Personally i loved that response from her mother and i think it was just more of a shock that she's growing up given that the mother rarely gets to see her kid as more than an actor.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's not bad mostly because it's not trying that hard to be anything.

Oh, I'm going to entirely disagree on the bolded point. It's absolutely trying to be the next Bakemonogatari, but with a more conventional artistic style.

So...actually watchable, then. I am enjoying Bunny Girl Senpai. I could not get through Bakemonogatari due to the animation style.
Zof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
People keep calling this a Monogatari copy, and I bet even itself thinks of itself like that, but honestly, we've been so starved for more monogatari we don't care if it's digimon instead of pokemon or go-bots instead of transformers.

it's following that addictive Taisho style romantic narrative that

Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei did first.

That Bakemonogatari completely lifted for their TV adaptation.

Yup. That wasn't in the novel. That style. That was in Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the Futaba arc was finished in 2 episodes without feeling rushed.

I'm guessing the next arc will be four episodes and focus on body swapping? It at least looks like Mai woke up in her room with another person's body.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:

I'm guessing the next arc will be four episodes and focus on body swapping? It at least looks like Mai woke up in her room with another person's body.

No, it most definitely IS rushed. Plenty of important stuff was cut down. They made Futaba look like a drama queen, deleting a large chunk of the friendship between the trio.

Plenty of people who didn't read the novels could tell.

Also, shouldn't the episodic review be up by now?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

That one's on me. Due to holiday-related matters, I couldn't get to writing it up until late Thursday night. I imagine you'll see it up sometime on Saturday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Morry wrote:

No, it most definitely IS rushed. Plenty of important stuff was cut down. They made Futaba look like a drama queen, deleting a large chunk of the friendship between the trio.

This plot and development didn't worked for me. For one it lacked any sort of subtlety with a person that was supposed to be spoiler[confused/conflicted to the point of physically splitting being able to explain herself with such clarity of mind.
Rushed or not, I didn't liked that in the end Sakuta "had to save" Futaba. Even to go talk with herself at the end Sakuta had to tell Futaba to do this.]
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Review for episode 8 is up.
I never get in tune with the reviews here...

Like I said above, I disagree about this situation "being handled pretty well".
At first I thought that Sakuta's part would satisfy me. He was just being her friend, just there, doing nothing much, just waiting for his friend to get better, but in the end he had to "save her".

Futaba's behavior was strange at times.
Two persons, supposedly with two slightly different personalities, but still acting exactly the same. Aside ot for the glasses and ponytail there's no difference. Yes, I know, that is still the same person, even so the two were a bit too much alike.
And what I can say about Futaba getting scared by that message (that wasn't all that scary) and dragging Sakuta to her house? To stay alone with her for the whole night. Because she was scared of male harassment. She even insisted on Sakuta staying at the other side of the bathroom door while she was there, in the bathtub, nude... something felt a bit off.

For me Futaba had too little agency.
One Futaba gets dragged to Sakuta house.
Other Futaba drags Sakuta to her house.
She understands the situation perfectly well, can explain all her emotions in a super expository manner like a third person narrator.
Even so she can't do anything without Sakuta ordering her around. Maybe because of Mai I expected that he would be this type of "savior of girls" for the others.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Morry wrote:

Self-loathing and anxiety apparently makes one a "drama queen".

99% of people who watch this obviously don't have any problems with how it's paced as its pretty clearly one of the most popular shows of the season. Stop obsessing about it not being a 1:1 adaptation, because the people who couldn't care less about that thoroughly enjoy this show and Futaba's story and understand it perfectly.

And I *do* know about the things that were cut, and they really aren't very important, especially of it meant compromising Futaba's story if they were included, which would be unacceptable.

Panino Manino wrote:
This plot and development didn't worked for me. For one it lacked any sort of subtlety with a person that was supposed to be spoiler[confused/conflicted to the point of physically splitting being able to explain herself with such clarity of mind.
Rushed or not, I didn't liked that in the end Sakuta "had to save" Futaba. Even to go talk with herself at the end Sakuta had to tell Futaba to do this.

Futaba is both very smart and has obviously been dealing with these problems for a long time, so she should likely understand them just as well. Why *wouldn't* she be able to explain herself? "Subtlety" isn't a quality storytelling *needs*, only when it warrants it.

And if anything, this is probably the best Sakuta's been when it's come to helping someone, because all it took was him being his usual cynical jerk self and telling Futaba what she *needs* to hear rather than sugarcoating it. "Accept that you hate yourself and don't stress so much over it" is far more effective coming from him than "But you're such an amazing person Futaba!" And don't forget that Kunimi also played a vital role in reconciling the two.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:

The next arc will have to be just two or three episodes long, because there are only 5 episodes left, and the TV series is supposed to cover the first five novels. The upcoming movie will adapt novels 6 and 7.
Zof

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I need to stop picking on this show. I remember from the first episode how nice it would be if he's not garbage, and he stays dedicated to his girl. That would be nice for once. He's doing that. The episodes have been great. I don't know how they'll tie it up, but I guess we should start looking for some kind of ending arc.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:22 am Reply with quote

Futaba is both very smart and has obviously been dealing with these problems for a long time, so she should likely understand them just as well. Why *wouldn't* she be able to explain herself? "Subtlety" isn't a quality storytelling *needs*, only when it warrants it.

I'm thinking about scenes like Sakuta and Futaba lying in her house when she starts talking about herself.
There's little "dialogue" in here, it's more expository narration.

And if anything, this is probably the best Sakuta's been when it's come to helping someone, because all it took was him being his usual cynical jerk self and telling Futaba what she *needs* to hear rather than sugarcoating it. "Accept that you hate yourself and don't stress so much over it" is far more effective coming from him than "But you're such an amazing person Futaba!" And don't forget that Kunimi also played a vital role in reconciling the two.

I agree with this, but again, it was just Futaba self expository narration and Sakuta pushing her at every turn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7