• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces English Dub Casts for Girls' Last Tour, Land of the Lustrous Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
While I’m looking forward to hearing both of these dubs, I wish Sarah Wiedenheft good luck because playing a role such as Phos surely will be quite a difficult task in my view.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I will say though, it's not the first time Sarah Wiedenheft played a gem before. Wink

I think she will do fine. I'm very curious how the Land of the Lustrous dub will sound.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I will say though, it's not the first time Sarah Wiedenheft played a gem before. Wink

I think she will do fine. I'm very curious how the Land of the Lustrous dub will sound.

OK, so what are the other times she has played a gem?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I was referring to this lovable gem! Surprised

Though I heard in Land of the Lustrous spoiler[Ruby is "taken to the moon" which presumably means they're dusted thus "dead" which is a bummer.]
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I was referring to this lovable gem! Surprised

Though I heard in Land of the Lustrous spoiler[Ruby is "taken to the moon" which presumably means they're dusted thus "dead" which is a bummer.]

Oh. For a second I thought you were referring to Tohru.

On that note though, isn't this her first Sentai role, or am I mistaken?
Venti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Great to see my two favourite shows from last year getting some more love and attention. Also, best of luck to Sarah Wiedenheft, following someone as amazing as Tomoyo Kurosawa is never an easy job.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Decent fare for the casting and voice direction tho without Steven Foster and Chris Ayres leading the dubbing productions their output will always be borderline quality. The ideal outcome would be to have Matt Greenfield direct more dubs to increase the quality factor but he's always in the back of the room now days rarely upfront.
Seif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"What's going to happen to us?"

F
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Kongo's voice actor sounds like an audiobook Confused
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:04 am Reply with quote
The voices for chito yuu sound too old. The dub for land sounds very good and has the potential to get better as it progresses.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:25 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Decent fare for the casting and voice direction tho without Steven Foster and Chris Ayres leading the dubbing productions their output will always be borderline quality.
I do not understand. When Steven Foster was working at Sentai, there was no end of complaints. Back when they did a lot less dubs, and more sub-only releases, lots of people said that it was a waste to have the few shows they did dub go to Foster.

I get Chris Ayres, even though I never recall him receiving high praise before he became to ill to work, due to him being great at casting, but Foster? Aside from ghost Stories(and that was always back at ADV), and for some people High school of the Dead, nothing he's done has been liked all that much.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:59 am Reply with quote
If my sign was not a Virgo but a Gemini, me watching "Land of the Lustrous" when the Eng. dub comes makes more sense.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Decent fare for the casting and voice direction tho without Steven Foster and Chris Ayres leading the dubbing productions their output will always be borderline quality.
I do not understand. When Steven Foster was working at Sentai, there was no end of complaints. Back when they did a lot less dubs, and more sub-only releases, lots of people said that it was a waste to have the few shows they did dub go to Foster.

I get Chris Ayres, even though I never recall him receiving high praise before he became to ill to work, due to him being great at casting, but Foster? Aside from ghost Stories(and that was always back at ADV), and for some people High school of the Dead, nothing he's done has been liked all that much.

His dubs for the Shinkai films have been very well received. In fact, his dub for 5cm Per Second is generally considered stronger than the Bang Zoom dub.

Most of the complaints about Foster had to do with his script writing, rather than his directing. He was able to get great performances out of people, and trained many of the directors that work at Sentai and Funimation now. However, his scripts often were too liberal.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
he was pretty good, but then his last few years there weren't so good. not entirely his fault since they were rushing out a huge amount of dubs in a short amount of time right after they reorganized. Scripts were copy pasted CR subs with minimal editing, so he didn't have the best working conditions. Things seem better now, so maybe if he were to return he'd be better again. Definetly don't share Vast Universe's infatuation with the guy, that much i do know
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1