• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eureka Seven: Hi - Evolution 1 BD/DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
This movie is definitely an oddity. I think if I hadn't already watched the series more than once, I probably would have been entirely lost once it starts jumping around, especially since it focuses on a part of the story that had a lot of setup. I guess this is one where I won't know what to make of it without the other planned movies. Enough of it was the same that it left me wondering what they were trying to accomplish, but on the other hand, if it was too different, the jumping around in chronology would have been even more difficult to follow.

I do agree that Renton and Eureka sound different, even though it is the same actors. Some of that could be that we're more than 10 years removed from when the series was recorded, and voice actors will tell you that their voices change over time with age and repeated strain. It's also possible it was a deliberate choice since this isn't meant to be part of the series, and I seem to recall an old interview with Johnny where he said his Renton voice was as high as he could maintain consistently, and that might not have been what they wanted now.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched the movie but the Japanese staff did say they wanted to make another look at the main romantical relationship similar to what they did to Renton and Eureka in that movie where the two shared a different childhood.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I haven't watched the movie but the Japanese staff did say they wanted to make another look at the main romantical relationship similar to what they did to Renton and Eureka in that movie where the two shared a different childhood.

Can't say I blame them, the shows goes from Eureka not giving a rat's ass about Renton to being obsessed with him in half an episode.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the next two movies will help make this one make more sense, but as of now like most people I was left wondering what the point of its existence was, for all the reasons Theron stated. However, its genuine saving grace was the 'Glory Days' song that capped it off. It very much felt like the creators were saying, "Yes, we know what you're all thinking, so until the next movie comes out let's wrap this chapter up with a kick-ass song to tide you over in the meantime."
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation is releasing the movie in a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack which also includes access to a digital copy.

Is the "digital copy" just an unlock of the movie on funimation.com (for those who don't already subscribe to FunimationNow)? I got one of those for Love Live Sunshine and there was never actually anyplace on the site to enter your code.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I remember thinking whether I should re-watch the anime before seeing this film in theaters (it's been a long time since I have seen the anime on adult swim), or just see the movie anyway. In the end I was unable to see this in theaters as something else came up (I believe the movie was out during the time of a funeral of a relative). I was kind of disappointed but it did not bother me. I was happy to learn this film was release on Blue-ray/DVD when I saw is on the homepage, but from reading this review it looks like I was not missing much save for the opening. It's a bit of a bummer to learn the movie was not all that it was crack up to be, but as Theron said we won't know that for certain how this film trilogy is going to go in the long term until the second movie.

In the meantime I think I would make it a plan to finally own Eureka Seven for home video. I remember really enjoying it back in the day, (plus due to a recording hiccup I was unable to see the entire last episode, so that is another reason to re-watch this show) and I need to get on with collecting anime series that I liked instead of putting them aside (like what happen with the two anime adaptations of Hiromu Arakawa Fullmetal Alchemist which I still need to get back to collecting). Hopefully I can get to watching this series before the second movie come out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Saw the premiere of this at Otakon. Those first 30 minutes were really great to watch. But once it got into the flash-back, flash-forward fest, the audience groaned/laughed more and more each time it happened. By the end, the experience was basically a joke. There were maybe two points where the technique was used effectively; all the other times just left us wondering why the movie was being shot that way.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
^ Despite the problems the film had after the opening I can imagine it must had been a fun time to experience the reactions everyone else was having with the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
^ Despite the problems the film had after the opening I can imagine it must had been a fun time to experience the reactions everyone else was having with the movie.

I saw the premiere as well, and I think people were mostly just horrified/disgusted whenever the words Flash Back or Flash Forward appeared on the screen. As I said in a previous thread on the movie, I do think it could have worked with a couple flashbacks (or rather would need to given the material covered), but it just bounced back and forth so often, it didn't really seem to have any rhyme or reason to it. It was definitely an experience though. I loved the Summer of Love portion, and I can only hope the second movie is more like that the the latter part of the movie.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Can't say I blame them, the shows goes from Eureka not giving a rat's ass about Renton to being obsessed with him in half an episode.

I'm sorry, but that's just flat-out false. Eureka's burgeoning feelings toward Renton were very much a slow burn. She starts out in Rei-clone mode and only sees him as a curiosity because of his connection with the Nirvash, but she starts warming to him around the visit to Ciudades del Cielo, and after a certain traumatic incident happens she begins to realize that she has a deeper connection to him, culminating in that spectacular moment at the end of episode 26. For my money, Renton and Eureka's relationship development remains just about the best-realized I've ever come across in anime.

Regarding the movie, I do legitimately want to see the Summer of Love portion, but I'd heard the rest is a hot mess, and I don't want to give them any money for it. I was hoping Dai Sato coming back to the franchise would mean we'd get something good, but man, everything after the original series has been awful.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

I saw the premiere as well, and I think people were mostly just horrified/disgusted whenever the words Flash Back or Flash Forward appeared on the screen. As I said in a previous thread on the movie, I do think it could have worked with a couple flashbacks (or rather would need to given the material covered), but it just bounced back and forth so often, it didn't really seem to have any rhyme or reason to it. It was definitely an experience though. I loved the Summer of Love portion, and I can only hope the second movie is more like that the the latter part of the movie.

Okay! Also the movie actually has the words "Flash Back" and "Flash Forward" appear on screen? Given from what I learn how the movie was put together I can see that getting annoying.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Actually it was Play Back and Play Forward that appeared on screen (I must have been thinking about the term flashback), followed by how many hours/days until the present time in the movie, where this segment starts and ends. Having them show up once or twice is fine. Over a dozen, not so much. I think another part of the frustration was not just that it was bouncing back and forth, but also that the time stamp - while making it clear when things were happening - also cut against a sense that the plot was progressing. You'd be at 4 hours before, then 3 hours before...then back to 20 days before, then forward to 5 hours before...then back to 2 days before.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
^ Wow! O_O That really sounds like that would have been confusing for anyone to follow. That just puts into more perspective of what Theron was getting at in his review.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Regarding the movie, I do legitimately want to see the Summer of Love portion, but I'd heard the rest is a hot mess, and I don't want to give them any money for it.

I'm sure someone will post that scene by itself somewhere on the Internet eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1