• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Too Much Fanservice Distract From SSSS.Gridman's Story?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Fanservice should be a problem, when there is no real purpose to it, in context, I think there is good explanation of why fanservice has been pretty heavy for fanservice. First mistake one could have with thinking of the reveal is that Akane built the world from scratch, the question has already been put forward for why would god attend a school. Instead, based on her reclusive and geek side that we have seen, I feel that it is much more likely that Akane already was in a similar world to this one, only she was probably the type to be bullied and bottom of the totem pole, with the exception that Rokka had probably started to reach out to her. The way Rokka remembers a relationship with Akane, seems kind of contradictory if Akane was always the popular girl. It has to be relatively newer where Akane created this world and rewrote her own existence as someone really popular, so she could show up the "normies", and I think this is a reasonable reason her sexiness is on display, she made this world in image of the old, as a fantasy, where she is the centre.

This sort've thought had also occurred to me, and I agree it could make the fan-service seem meaningful. Depends pretty severely on whether they start turning some of the show's vague mumblings into actual themes and ideas, and then stick the landing on wherever they plan for those to evolve, though.
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:39 am Reply with quote
I hate fanservice shows. I can't take them seriously and they are annoying.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote
"Does too much fanservice distract from SSSS. Gridman?"

Huh? I waited until there were six episodes aired because the show's premise as displayed on my go-to streaming site didn't exactly thrill me, and then decided to give it a whirl. Watched the first three episodes and was done. There's some wacky causality going on whenever anyone dies or a building gets destroyed, there is a mystery about what happened to the male MC's memories and just who is the short, curvy, sociopath who is making monsters to kill everyone who offends her sensibilities (and why doesn't she make one kill herself for being an offense to cleanliness?) but I found myself not caring the least bout these mysteries because the writing is just bland. The action is completely predictable, like something from a cartoon targeted at 5th graders. The dialogue is weak and nonsensical.

I think a more apt question should be "Could more fanservice possibly save SSSS. Gridman?" The answer to that would be "I doubt it, but it would not hurt to try because this show is already on the junk heap."
Yaiba K.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Haven't seen the show in question, but fanservice is usually an attraction for me, not a distraction. It would have to be Eiken level of "not my fetish" for me to pass on it.

Actually Eiken, while definitely a fetish manga, isn't that outrageous at all, at least up to where I read. It had more than just ecchi, both in the storylines and the humor. Just the scene in the summer festival chapter (which actually doesn't have any ecchi at all) where they find a lost kid and search for her mother, as cliched as it may be, has more charm than the anime would have had in a hundred episodes with the choices it took. It was an awful adaptation that didn't grasp the manga's good points and consisted mostly of filler blowing up the ecchi to ridiculous extents. The sports festival was originally just one chapter with a three-legged race.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4