• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Strike Witches Anime Confirmed for TV Relaunch in 2008

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
Eh. I was thoroughly underwhelmed with the 1-shot OVA, but I'll give just about anything a 1 episode chance. Maybe it'll bring something more to the table in TV form.
eloyabun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
So... a moe version of Saikano? Confused
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:15 am Reply with quote
eloyabun wrote:
So... a moe version of Saikano? Confused

Not really. It's hard to really compare to anything else. He's been designing these girls for years, they make for some very popular trading figures. Basically they're normal looking girls, except they're legs (and sometimes other body parts) have been replaced by such things are WWII fighter planes or tanks or various other popular and unique military weapons. He's probably best known for Mecha Musume which seems to be what Strike Witches will be based on (while Sky Girls is based more on his Busou Shinki designs, also known as MMS or Multi Movable System, which includes Sky Girls figures). Incidentally he primarily designs for Konami.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eloyabun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your explanation Emerje, the images I found after reading your post were interesting to say the least. By the way, every time I see the illustration of the article in ANN about this upcoming anime series I can't avoid to think that some of those character looks like amputees Confused I mean, they don't have feet, and that gives me a weird impression. Shocked
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
The announcement on the official website of the Strike Witches television animation series confirms the earlier rumor on MOON PHASE, as reported on Anime**** and AnimeNation.

AnimeNation News wrote:
Strike Witches TV Anime Announced?

An uncited report on the Japanese Moon Phase message board claims that the Strike Witches multimedia project will be developed into an anime television series. The report also states that a manga adaptation will begin in the March 2008 issue of Comp Ace Magazine. Gonzo produced a short Strike Witches anime OVA in January 2007.

[posted: Mon 12.24.2007 10:15 AM]

On another forum a week ago, I wrote a post titled, 2007-12-20 - MOON PHASE Miscellaneous Notes: Sekirei Animation Decision?

Siegel Clyne wrote:
According to an entry on MOON PHASE Miscellaneous Notes (MOON PHASE Zakki), Wednesday, December 20, 2007, Japan Time, the next series from YOUNG GANGAN seinen manga magazine, published by SQUARE ENIX, to be animated after Bamboo Blade appears to be a title with the "name of a bird" ("tori no namae").

The YOUNG GANGAN manga series with a "bird's name" is Sekirei.

"Sekirei" means wagtail in Japanese.

You can Google "Sekirei anime Siegel Clyne" and probably find the post.

Regarding information on Japanese animation and related matters, MOON PHASE enjoys a reputation for being highly reliable and very credible. One exception in recent memory where it was wrong was the supposed Hoihoi-san television anime decision.

Look for the Sekirei anime to be announced in the not so distant future.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
The information on Moon Phase's main home enjoys a reputation for being highly reliable.

http://www.moonphase.cc/

On the other hand, the separate Moon Phase Zakki diary (http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/) warns in red letters at the very top that it includes "rumors" and "speculation," and therefore it "absolutely does not guarantee the authenticity of the information." There are other times besides Hoihoi-san, especially with uncited reports, when it has been wrong, such as the start date of some titles. Moon Phase Zakki is a great rumor log, but still a rumor log.
Rei Sentoki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
eloyabun wrote:
...those character looks like amputees Confused I mean, they don't have feet, and that gives me a weird impression. Shocked

Well, in the 8 minute short, they insert their legs into the mechanical components though one of those "magical/warp/distortion/planar" fields, so it isn't entirely creepy, like "You've been accepted as our newest mecha pilot, but there's a tiny little catch." *sound of circular saw spinning up*.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote
Rei Sentoki wrote:
Well, in the 8 minute short, they insert their legs into the mechanical components though one of those "magical/warp/distortion/planar" fields, so it isn't entirely creepy, like "You've been accepted as our newest mecha pilot, but there's a tiny little catch." *sound of circular saw spinning up*.

"Sound of circular saw"?! Sorry. That was worth one good "Bwa Ha! Ha!" from yours truly. That's priceless man.

I might risk watching the series. The premise is a touch flimsy for my tastes but the CG flight scenes in the short film were quite nice. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

PS: @Rei Sentoki - It's just my habit but the Japanese part of my brain refers to the plane in your avatar as a 零戦 (Reisen). At least I'm assuming that is what it is. The English part sticks with the age old "Zero". Smile
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:57 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
The information on Moon Phase's main home enjoys a reputation for being highly reliable.

http://www.moonphase.cc/

On the other hand, the separate Moon Phase Zakki diary (http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/) warns in red letters at the very top that it includes "rumors" and "speculation," and therefore it "absolutely does not guarantee the authenticity of the information." There are other times besides Hoihoi-san, especially with uncited reports, when it has been wrong, such as the start date of some titles. Moon Phase Zakki is a great rumor log, but still a rumor log.

Yes, I know that.

I was the first one on the Anime News Network and Anime**** forums to point out that the information on the Ichigeki Sacchuu!! Hoihoi-san television anime series was phony.

And I put a question mark at the end of my Sekirei anime post at Anime****.

Nevertheless, look forward to a possible Sekirei anime in the future. Wink
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
It's just my habit but the Japanese part of my brain refers to the plane in your avatar as a 零戦 (Reisen). At least I'm assuming that is what it is. The English part sticks with the age old "Zero". Smile

Actually, the Japanese called the aircraft both "Zero" and "Reisen" (both of which are used for the number zero in Japanese). The US normally called them "Zeke" (the Allied codenaming practices gave male names to fighters), though "Zero" came into use at times.

Anyway, I can't wait for this series. The OAV really got my attention as a fun little diversion. Of course, the history nerd in me squee'd when I saw the names of the characters, as well as what they were modeled after. Ex: Charlotte E. Yeager is a P-51D, Erica Hartmann is a BF-109G, Mio Sakamoto is an A6M3, Lynette Bishop is a Spitfire MKIX, etc. Can't wait to see what they do with a longer show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rei Sentoki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
It's just my habit but the Japanese part of my brain refers to the plane in your avatar as a 零戦 (Reisen). At least I'm assuming that is what it is. The English part sticks with the age old "Zero".

Yep, Rei Shiki Kanjo Sentoki (零式艦上戦闘機), "Type 0 Carrier Fighter", "Navy Experimental Fighter 12-Shi", "Mitsubishi A6M", "Zero", "Rei-Sen", "Reisen", "Zero-Sen" or "ZEKE/RAY/BEN/HAP/HAMP" (all Allied code names). Take your pick.

On the subject of avatars, where's your girl in the JMSDF uniform from?

PaladinBlue wrote:
..."Zero" and "Reisen" (both of which are used for the number zero in Japanese).

Just the "rei" part means "zero", Reisen is a contraction of "rei" (零, zero), and "sentoki" (戦闘機, fighter).
eloyabun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Rei Sentoki wrote:
eloyabun wrote:
...those character looks like amputees Confused I mean, they don't have feet, and that gives me a weird impression. Shocked

Laughing hahahaha, you made my day, hilarious. Yup, that was the picture I had in my mind the second after seing those pictures. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1